Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Reds From MLBTradeRumors.com

Re: 2007 Reds From MLBTradeRumors.com

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Isn't Griffey signed through 2008?
    He is signed through 2008 with a team option for '09 (4 Mil buyout).
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just a drop in the bucket, but they've got Aurilia's buyout at 200 Grand, but according to Cot's it's only that amount if he had 450 AB's - he fell ten short, so his buyout will only be 100 Thousand. Also, I don't know how that works on mutual options, but does the buyout only apply if the Reds don't exercise the option on their part? What happens if the Reds excercise the option but Aurilia doesn't? How can they be on the hook for a buyout if he doesn't do the option? I'm guessing the buyout only applies if the team doesn't exercise the option, but I could be wrong.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

say we only have 15 million to spend this offseason and we can't move any big contracts... heres what i'd do:

Sign either Adam Eaton, Randy Wolf, or Ted Lilly. Sign Jose Cruz Jr. for defense. Yes we have Freel and Denorfia. But if Freel moves to second then we will need that 4th OF'r. Resign Scott Schoeneweis and make him the closer. That should be around 9-10 million. That gives us another 5-6 million to lock up Harang, Lohse, and Ross.

That covers our need for a #3 starter, 2nd base, 4th OF'r, and closer.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    I thought we competed until the next-to-last day of the season. No?
    No, we didn't. We weren't competing, the Cards and Stros were merely sucking and playing down to the Reds level. Finishing the season under .500 isn't competing for anything. Had this been a normal season (one in which the division winner was more than a few games above .500) the Reds would have easily finished 15-20 games out of it and no one would be talking about how competitive we were. The Reds finished right abotu where they should have--the Cards finished well below where they should have.

As to competing in 2007, it's just starting to sound like a broken record to me. Every year I seem to be reading that this coming year is not our year, and that the Reds would be better served aiming for the following season. One of these seasons, Reds management might actually play a full season with the AIM of competing the following year, and will construct the team as such. But that hasn't happened yet. A lot of blame lies at DanO for that, but contract extensions to the likes of Castro and Cormier make me question what Krivsky's MO is as well.

Besides, it's just tremendously demoralizing to the fan base to essentially come out and say that the Reds aren't going to compete NEXT year. Does that mean I shouldn't be paying attention next year, then? Wake me when it's 2008...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    He is signed through 2008 with a team option for '09 (4 Mil buyout).
    Thanks GAC, I apologize for any confusion my post caused.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Is it too unrealistic to think that Krivsky will try to move both Dunn and Griffey while restructuring the ballclub and creating payroll space?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    No, we didn't. We weren't competing, the Cards and Stros were merely sucking and playing down to the Reds level. Finishing the season under .500 isn't competing for anything. Had this been a normal season (one in which the division winner was more than a few games above .500) the Reds would have easily finished 15-20 games out of it and no one would be talking about how competitive we were.
    If if if ... if Griffey wasn't injured, if Dunn hadn't gone on vacation during September. The season was what is was. The Reds finished where they finished and were in the running for the division until the last Saturday in the season.

Besides, it's just tremendously demoralizing to the fan base to essentially come out and say that the Reds aren't going to compete NEXT year. Does that mean I shouldn't be paying attention next year, then? Wake me when it's 2008...
    Who came out and said the Reds aren't going to compete next year? Someone on Redszone?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Is it too unrealistic to think that Krivsky will try to move both Dunn and Griffey while restructuring the ballclub and creating payroll space?
    It's not unrealistic to think that he'll try to do that, it's pretty unrealistic to think he'll be successful in doing so, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    If if if ... if Griffey wasn't injured, if Dunn hadn't gone on vacation during September. The season was what is was. The Reds finished where they finished and were in the running for the division until the last Saturday in the season.
    I'm just saying not to confuse other teams playing poorly and allowing the Reds to stay mathematically in the race with the Reds actually being a competitive team. Griffey could have been as healthy as he could be, and Dunn could have kept right on slugging, and the Reds at best would have finished a couple of games over .500. That's an improvement, but in any other year wouldn't have been remotely competitive in the Central.

Who came out and said the Reds aren't going to compete next year? Someone on Redszone?
    I was referring to the article that said the Reds shouldn't focus on competing in 2007.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I have always seen the Junior contract vs. injury history as an impossible situation. But, is there any chance that a team would be interested in taking Junior if the Reds paid a portion of his remaining salary? Would Junior be amenable to going to a team that he might see as having a better chance at a WS and continuing his career pursuits?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I have always seen the Junior contract vs. injury history as an impossible situation. But, is there any chance that a team would be interested in taking Junior if the Reds paid a portion of his remaining salary? Would Junior be amenable to going to a team that he might see as having a better chance at a WS and continuing his career pursuits?
    Well in 05 he said he would of agreed to go to the White Sox. So i'm sure the possiblity is out there. It's just a lot of defered money and also the 10/5 clause that Junior has.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    say we only have 15 million to spend this offseason and we can't move any big contracts... heres what i'd do:

Sign either Adam Eaton, Randy Wolf, or Ted Lilly. Sign Jose Cruz Jr. for defense. Yes we have Freel and Denorfia. But if Freel moves to second then we will need that 4th OF'r. Resign Scott Schoeneweis and make him the closer. That should be around 9-10 million. That gives us another 5-6 million to lock up Harang, Lohse, and Ross.

That covers our need for a #3 starter, 2nd base, 4th OF'r, and closer.
    $9 or $10 million won't get Lilly by himself.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    There are some posters around here that would find out that not competing in 2007 will make them jump the bridge.

I would also think that in 2007 that if the Reds slide back, there's gonna be a managerial change.
    We can only hope.

Jerry Narron is the first piece to trigger the Rube Goldberg. Set that in motion, and look how this team could flourish.

LOL I can't believe Eric Milton will make nine freaking million dollars to be his pathetically bad self next year while functioning as a human stick of dynamite every five days. My hatred of DanO has not lessened with the passage of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    LOL I can't believe Eric Milton will make nine freaking million dollars to be his pathetically bad self next year while functioning as a human stick of dynamite every five days. My hatred of DanO has not lessened with the passage of time.
    He's not that bad, a solid 4/5 starter.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Turn Off Ads?