Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aurilia, Reds dance the dance

Aurilia, Reds dance the dance

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...40416/1062/SPT

The Reds' tango with Rich Aurilia this offseason is sounding a lot like last year's.

Aurilia and the Reds have a mutual option, as they did last year. Aurilia wants an everyday spot in the lineup, as he did last year. The Reds don't sound ready to commit to that, as they weren't last year.

Last year, the Reds and Aurilia kept dancing until Jan. 8 - the last day they could sign him.

One big difference is Wayne Krivsky now is the general manager. He may not want to prolong the negotiations like Dan O'Brien did.

"You'd like to have an answer one way or another for planning purposes," Krivsky said.

The $2 million mutual option must be exercised within 10 days of the end of the World Series.

Last year, both sides agreed not to exercise the option. But the Reds offered Aurilia arbitration. He rejected it. That allowed Aurilia to speak with other teams, while keeping open the possibility of returning to the Reds.

It sounds like Aurilia would like to do that again.

"In the back of Richie's mind he's always thinking: Do I have a position?" his agent, Barry Axelrod, said. "He's pondering that. It's not a fatal thing."

For the Reds to offer Aurilia an everyday spot, they likely would move Brandon Phillips to shortstop and start Aurilia at second base.

Krivsky would not even say if the Reds want to exercise the option.

"I can't talk about that," Krivsky said.

The Reds ended up being the only club to promise Aurilia substantial playing time, and he ended up signing for $1.3 million.

He responded with a fantastic year. He hit .300 with 23 home runs and 70 RBI. He started 37 games at first base, four games at second, 39 at third, 25 at shortstop and one at designated hitter.

"He had no complaint about his playing time," Axelrod said. "It was uncertainty of where he was going to play."

Aurilia and manager Jerry Narron had words late in the season, Axelrod said, after Aurilia came in expecting to start one day and was not in the lineup.

"There was a moment of confusion," Axelrod said. "It was the kind of thing that happens all the time in club- houses that no one knows about. It was a silly misunderstanding. It won't affect anything."
    DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT overpay for Rich Aurilia. If he doesn't want to exercise his part of the option, then let him go somewhere else and play.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aurilia, Reds dance the dance

"He had no complaint about his playing time," Axelrod said. "It was uncertainty of where he was going to play."

Wait, not only does he want to play everyday he wants to be the decider of where?

Come on Reds..let someone else have him.
    Go Gators!

Oh lighten up Krono,

Yes it would be nice to know where you are going to play every day. If a team offers him that, he'll sign elsewhere. If not, he'll probably come back here.

But lets try not to make any more of a mountain out of a molehill then absolutely necessary.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I doubt he comes back. He'll want to at least test the market, just to drive his price up, and some team will probably be willing to over pay for him. He's mentioned going back to San Fran, there were also rumblings of the Mets being interested.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Why are so many still anti-Aurilla? He was easily in the top offensive players on the team (if not the best...)
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    ďIím a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.Ē - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I doubt he comes back. He'll want to at least test the market, just to drive his price up, and some team will probably be willing to over pay for him. He's mentioned going back to San Fran, there were also rumblings of the Mets being interested.
    On the SI.com - Truth & Rumors site, the NY Daily News said that the Mets wanted Aurilia as their everyday 2b. Ironically, the Mets do play in Flushing.

I feel a song coming on....Hey, it's Frank! (Sinatra, not Pastore)

cue the band, Doc...

Start spreadin the news.
    Richie's leavin today
    He's gonna make a brand new start of it
    In New York, New York.

These little town Reds
    Will shoo him away
    He'll go be a star
    in New York, New York

Richie's gonna wake up
    In a city that overpays
    And finds the
    Park at Shea
    Hurts his OBP
    Has no fielding range

These little town Reds
    Won't miss him anyway
    He'll go into a career de-cline
    In Old New York!!!

If Richie can
    make it there
    The Mets will
    take him anywhere

It's up to you
    New
    York
    New York.....

NEW YORK - NEW YORKKKKKKKKK

Richie's gonna wake up
    In a city that overpays
    And finds the
    Park at Shea
    Hurts his OBP
    Has no fielding range
    Boo Bird Number Oneeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's up to you
    New
    York

New York!
    New York!!!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Oh lighten up Krono,

Yes it would be nice to know where you are going to play every day. If a team offers him that, he'll sign elsewhere. If not, he'll probably come back here.
    My sentiments exactly. If someone wants to overpay for his services then I think Kriv is more then willing to allow that to happen. Meanwhile, he is more then willing to "accomodate" him and allow Rich the opportunity to find out.

Actually, the pressure is on Rich, not Krivsky.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-25-2006 at 10:08 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

From today's NY Post -- he's played his last game as a Red:

IT COULD BE AURILIA IN NEW YORK
    By JOEL SHERMAN
    October 25, 2006 -- Rich Aurilia has a $2 million mutual option with the Reds he almost certainly will turn down. Cincinnati will still be a player for him, but the Staten Island native could be of interest to both New York teams. The Mets need a second baseman, and GM Omar Minaya signed Aurilia to his first pro contract. The Yankees need a first baseman who will make Jason Giambi a full-time DH. Aurilia and Tony Graffanino were the majors' only players to play at least 10 games at all four infield positions in 2006.

"Rich wants to play for a contender and wants to, if possible, play just one position," said his agent, Barry Axelrod. "Both New York teams qualify for what he is looking for."

Axelrod said he thinks another client, Craig Biggio, will end up bridging what is currently a financial gap and re-sign with the Astros while also getting a personal-services deal like Roger Clemens that extends into his post-career. However, Axelrod said he had spoken with Biggio, and that if matters cannot be worked out fairly, Biggio would leave the only team for which he has played and seek the 70 hits he needs to reach 3,000 somewhere else.

"He said to me that if they don't value me enough and I have to go to St. Louis, Chicago or New York to play on a winner and hit milestones, then I will do it," Axelrod said.

I noticed ironically how he mentions St.Louis and Chicago,Cubs i'm sure.

what? both ny teams are suitors? that doesnt make sense....where is he going to play every day for the yankees
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

and ironically he never mentions the cubs or stl....that as i understand it was biggio who said he needs 70 hits to get his milestone and he basically said that to piss the astros off
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    what? both ny teams are suitors? that doesnt make sense....where is he going to play every day for the yankees
    1st Base...w/Giambi the DH. Bernie (FA) and Sheffield (club option) would be out.

Will Aurilia be a Type A free agent?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Will Aurilia be a Type A free agent?
    There's a problem offering his arbitration.

What if he accepts?

A SS with his stats? Say hello to a potential $5M+ arbitration award.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Why are so many still anti-Aurilla? He was easily in the top offensive players on the team (if not the best...)
    and is a repeat in 2007 expected or was it a near the end of his career, "career season".

If RA comes back expecting him to perform in 2007 as he did in 2006 is not a good bet. Same holds true for Hatteberg.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?