Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FIFA Report: 58% of all "injuries" during World Cup games were fake

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

FIFA Report: 58% of all "injuries" during World Cup games were fake

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...387417&cc=5901

FIFA have revealed that more than half of the players treated on the pitch during this summer's World Cup were not actually injured.

The world body's chief medical officer, Professor Jiri Dvorak, presented his findings to the FIFA referees committee today and they showed a cheating culture at the highest level of the game.

According to Professor Dvorak, there were too many players feigning injury in Germany, with tactical reasons presented as the most likely cause of their action.

Where injuries were confirmed, the number per match was down to 2.3 per match, from 2.7 at the 2002 World Cup.

That amounted to a total of 145 injuries in 64 matches at the 2006 tournament, among them the cruciate knee injury which may mean Newcastle and England striker Michael Owen does not play again until next season.

'Fifty-eight per cent of the players who were treated on the pitch during the 2006 World Cup eventually turned out not to be injured,' confirmed FIFA in a statement.

Referees were praised for keeping the number of injuries down, by protecting players and ensuring elbowing offences were properly punished.

The meeting was chaired by Spanish FA chief Angel Marma Villar Llona, a vice-president of the FIFA executive committee.

He said: 'The referees and assistant referees fulfilled the high expectations placed on them and complied with the instructions to protect players and thus the game better. The preparation period of almost four years for the World Cup in Germany paid off.'

FIFA president Sepp Blatter added: 'I am very satisfied with the referees' performances at the 2006 World Cup. They achieved more than their counterparts in Korea/Japan in 2002.'

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: FIFA Report: 58% of all "injuries" during World Cup games were fake

Sounds a little low coming from someone who either taped or watched live EVERY SINGLE MATCH of the 2006 World Cup....

The flopping was often quite disgusting we should all watch and clamor for FIFA to adopt what is currrently being done in the Premiershiep THIS season. The rule is that will teams will play on despite all "INJURIES" and will stop the run of play only if the ref determines that the injury IS sincere and is also serious enough to merit the immediate stoppage of play to allow medical personnell onto the field.

MUCH MUCH MUCH smaterter policy and FIFA had better adopt it as their own for the European Championships coming up in a couple years as well as subsequent World Cups. This will move a L O N G way towards stamping out the play-acting injuries that oft-time sully an otherwise joyous performance of football.

::Yes, Christiano Ronaldo and Mikael Essien... I am looking DIRECTLY at you, and with a disapproving grimace on my face::
    Last edited by WMR; 10-25-2006 at 03:34 AM.

This is precisely the reason soccer will never be popular in America -- too many players carrying on and crying like babies when a 5'8", 150 lb. defender bumps into them.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    This is precisely the reason soccer will never be popular in America -- too many players carrying on and crying like babies when a 5'8", 150 lb. defender bumps into them.
    A lot of that depends on where it's being played. I've seen a lot of that in Italian matches I've watched, but haven't seen as much in England. Then again, the EPL frowns on that sort of thing more than other leagues. It could also be the reason the Americans don't draw as many cards as other teams do because the American players buy into the American tough guy idea and don't go flopping every time they're hit. Remember McBride's bloody face against Italy? He didn't even go down after that elbow and went about his business like he wasn't even hurt. You hit an Italian player half as hard and he's down on the pitch crying for an ambulance.

It's popular now, but soccer doesn't have to be NFL Football to be popular in many soccer fans eyes, and to echo the above the EPL ain't like that at all.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's popular now, but soccer doesn't have to be NFL Football to be popular in many soccer fans eyes, and to echo the above the EPL ain't like that at all.
    Which is why the EPL is about the only league I watch much of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Which is why the EPL is about the only league I watch much of these days.
    Except for chelsea.

I am shocked, shocked that soccer players were faking injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I guess it depends on how you define "popular". In terms of media exposure, I think it ranks somewhere between the WNBA and pro paintball. Seriously, I see more paintball on ESPN than soccer. That's not a good thing.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I guess it depends on how you define "popular". In terms of media exposure, I think it ranks somewhere between the WNBA and pro paintball. Seriously, I see more paintball on ESPN than soccer. That's not a good thing.
    I see more people playing soccer on TV and in real life then paintball every weekend, but then again I don't limit my exposure to sports to ESPN. I think you underestimate the interest in the game on the coasts.

ESPN needs to make a channel for uninteresting sports

Billiards, poker, soccer, hockey, WNBA, paintball, and golf.

Boooring.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post

Boooring.
    You forgot one... Football.

99% of people who find soccer "boring" don't appreciate and/or understand the intricacies of the game.

Some of the best games end up without a single goal scored. Many Americans can't understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post

Boooring.
    Acutally, if you combined golf and paintball it'd probably be quite entertaining.

I see more people playing soccer on TV and in real life then paintball every weekend, but then again I don't limit my exposure to sports to ESPN. I think you underestimate the interest in the game on the coasts.

Just to add to your thought, my cable system has two channels dedicated to soccer: Fox Soccer Channel and Gol. There is also the spanish version of the Fox Soccer Channel that shows different games from the English-language channel.

Turn Off Ads?