Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FIFA Report: 58% of all "injuries" during World Cup games were fake

Re: FIFA Report: 58% of all "injuries" during World Cup games were fake

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I see more people playing soccer on TV and in real life then paintball every weekend, but then again I don't limit my exposure to sports to ESPN. I think you underestimate the interest in the game on the coasts.
    I see it in real life, but the only games on TV are on Univision or premium ticket channels. And KC has its own MLS soccer team.

ESPN or some other channel would run soccer if there was an audience for it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I see it in real life, but the only games on TV are on Univision or premium ticket channels. And KC has its own MLS soccer team.

On my cable system ESPN and Fox Soccer Channel are both on the same level of service.

ESPN does show the champions league and a handful of MLS games. It's not baseball, football or basketball...but it's ahead of hockey from the perspective of TV coverage.

Fox Soccer Channel covers that, great channel.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    99% of people who find soccer "boring" don't appreciate and/or understand the intricacies of the game.
    Ah yes, the old "you just don't understand it" put-down. :

There are two problems with that. First, the same argument can be used for practically any endeavor on earth; whether it's soccer or football or chess or sci-fi or whatever, the people who are into it don't get why everyone else isn't. Which brings up the second problem: No one goes through the trouble of learning the intricacies of anything unless they like it in the first place. That goes for just about everything. You don't learn all about something and then decide if you like it; you like it and it makes you want to learn more.

I like soccer in that casual, watch the World Cup and not much else way. But I have a full plate of rooting interests and am under no obligation to learn about or like soccer. If soccer wants to succeed in America, it's soccer's job to be interesting enough to catch the attention of guys like me and make us want to be fans. If it doesn't, not my problem.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Ah yes, the old "you just don't understand it" put-down. :

There are two problems with that. First, the same argument can be used for practically any endeavor on earth; whether it's soccer or football or chess or sci-fi or whatever, the people who are into it don't get why everyone else isn't. Which brings up the second problem: No one goes through the trouble of learning the intricacies of anything unless they like it in the first place. That goes for just about everything. You don't learn all about something and then decide if you like it; you like it and it makes you want to learn more.

I like soccer in that casual, watch the World Cup and not much else way. But I have a full plate of rooting interests and am under no obligation to learn about or like soccer. If soccer wants to succeed in America, it's soccer's job to be interesting enough to catch the attention of guys like me and make us want to be fans. If it doesn't, not my problem.
    I'm not putting anyone down... they were just--generally--never exposed to soccer, usually at a young age, where you learn to see and appreciate the skills and abilities beyond the scored goal. A perfectly executed through pass, the perfect tackle, dictating the flow of the game through possession...

In American sports, 'successes' are much more pronounced and happen much more often: a dunk, a 3-point shot over intense pressure, an eagle, a home-run... these are all things that casual fans can easily appreciate. The 'more hardcore' baseball fan might take great pleasure out of a perfectly executed hit and run... but the homeruns and slam dunks of each respective sport still happen fast and furious and make for easy viewing.

Soccer has far fewer 'casual fan-grabbing-moments' than just about any other sport. That's why it's such a tough sell to many Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    ESPN needs to make a channel for uninteresting sports

Billiards, poker, soccer, hockey, WNBA, paintball, and golf.

Boooring.

Isn't that what ESPN8 is for?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Soccer has far fewer 'casual fan-grabbing-moments' than just about any other sport. That's why it's such a tough sell to many Americans.
    I really think it has more to do with flopping. It's seen as very "unmanly" (or at least bad sportsmanship), probably, at least, by that same 99% you referenced.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    I really think it has more to do with flopping. It's seen as very "unmanly" (or at least bad sportsmanship), probably, at least, by that same 99% you referenced.

I see it in hockey and basketball, too. (Not quite as much as soccer, but it's there).

Except for Edmonds "flair for the dramatic" baseball gets a pass.

In football, players used to fake injury to stop the clock on late drives, but I think that there's some sort of rule against that now.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    That's one reason why I think the new rules against diving/simulating injuries are excellent moves forward by the FA.

Hopefully their next move will be video review and retroactive cards for dives that the referee misses.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

99% of people who find soccer "boring" don't appreciate and/or understand the intricacies of the game.

Some of the best games end up without a single goal scored. Many Americans can't understand that.
    I really, really loathe this type of thinking--that if I don't like something, I'm either missing something or simply "not getting it." I get soccer just fine. I've been to a fair share of Crew matches, and a couple of United games. I've watched plenty of soccer on TV, and my bro is as big a soccer fan as one is likely to find. I even played it for a couple of years in youth leagues.

And I'm just not a big fan of the game.

I don't like watching contests that end in nil-nil ties. I don't know what else to say--I just don't. I certainly get the tremendous skill and athleticism that goes into playing the game. I can appreciate a well-played game. But soccer will never be one of my favorite sports, because the action and offense--or lack thereof--are not what typically attracts me to a sport.

I liken it to golf--I understand golf, I respect the skill that it takes to play the game, but watching it on TV bores me out of my mind. It's not for a lack of understanding, I'm just not particularly interested in it. Soccer is exactly the same.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I'm not putting anyone down... they were just--generally--never exposed to soccer, usually at a young age, where you learn to see and appreciate the skills and abilities beyond the scored goal. A perfectly executed through pass, the perfect tackle, dictating the flow of the game through possession...
    See, I don't necessarily agree with this. At the youth level, soccer is about as popular as any sport out there. There's probably more children playing soccer than little league baseball--or it's very close. I don't think a lack of exposure at an early age is inhibiting soccer's popularity in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    See, I don't necessarily agree with this. At the youth level, soccer is about as popular as any sport out there. There's probably more children playing soccer than little league baseball--or it's very close. I don't think a lack of exposure at an early age is inhibiting soccer's popularity in this country.
    That's why I think interest in soccer in the USA is at an all-time high and also why the majority of most people who would consider themselves "big" soccer fans--from my firsthand knowledge--are under 30 years old.

MOST people who deride soccer either a) missed the 'soccer boom' at the grassroots level due to the simple fact that it wasn't around during their youth OR 2) Never played/played for a couple years and didn't get into it (and didn't get into for the reasons enumerated in my previous post... LOL many of which you cited whilst describing why soccer isn't your cup of tea)

And no, playing soccer for a couple years isn't necessarily going to make you a soccer fan for life... as Michael Jordan said, "Love early, learn late."

MOST people who deride soccer either a) missed the 'soccer boom' at the grassroots level due to the simple fact that it wasn't around during their youth OR 2) Never played/played for a couple years and didn't get into it (and didn't get into for the reasons enumerated in my previous post... LOL many of which you cited whilst describing why soccer isn't your cup of tea)
    Perhaps, but it doesn't mean that I "don't get" the sport. I get it--it's just not my thing.

I think that Americans would understand the excitement of soccer better if they spent some time in Europe watching the game, or even heading down to the local pub where they have the games on. For Americans who have lacked the constant exposure of top-flight soccer, it's difficult to understand the flow and momentum of the game. When you're around a group of other people who do understand, you get a sense of that flow of the match that brings excitement to watching it. A 0-0 tie may seem like a boring game, but if it's an underdog who comes away with a 0-0 tie on the home pitch of one of the league's juggernauts, that's a big deal. Likewise if one of the top teams fails to get a win against a weaker team, that can mean the difference between 1st and 4th place in some years. Soccer is more than just wins and losses. Points and goal differential can mean a lot in determining who wins a championship or plays on in international competition and who goes home and for lower levels, who gets promoted up to the big leagues or gets relegated down to the lower league.

On the other hand there are people like registerthis who "get it" and just don't care for the sport. For me, I "get" the NBA but I have no desire to watch it. I find the college game much more interesting to watch. I would like to get into hockey, but other than the Olympics, I've just never found an NHL team compelling enough to follow, with no "home" team for me to root for.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

First of all: simulating being fouled, and worse, simulating injury is bad for football/soccer. FIFA needs to address data like this with some rule changes. I vote for using post-match replays to reveal deception. When video shows conclusive probative evidence of deception, ban the player for a game or more. The simulation will quickly dissipate.
    Second of all: I enjoy participating and viewing many sports and games. Football is the beautiful game and there is no equal to it. But Football games that end in 0-0 ties are seldom pleasing.

Turn Off Ads?