Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes- Season One (NBC)

Re: Heroes- Season One (NBC)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

And, IMHO, many of the characters are strikingly similar to characters from current and past X-Men books.
    I was thinking that too, but then I realized that there have just been so many mutants in the X-men universe that it's kind of hard to do a show about people developing special mutant powers without quite a few similarities.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I dunno. Seems like a genuinely good guy, but maybe the wife's affair pushed him over the edge? And I look at Nikki/Jessica as the Hulk with a nasty agenda. Jessica is evil, but if Nikki can gain control, I think this is more of a wild-card character.

If you mean Peter, then I think it's been established that he loses them after a short time or when the "super" leaves the vicinity.

He's a lot more buff than Kitty Pryde, too. But alas, with different parts and no Lockheed.

And, IMHO, many of the characters are strikingly similar to characters from current and past X-Men books.

Now, this is just a guess, but I have a feeling that Claire's dad might just be a good guy who's trying to "catalogue" the heros and gain an appreciation for their power levels. After all, the Haitian obviously has the power to mind wipe folks, but Matt Parkman is just fine after his abduction.

It's also possible that he's got a power himself and I'd suggest teleportation because he sure bounces around a lot with his Haitian henchman and very quickly.

Oh, yeah. This is a heck of a show. I was a little suspect at first because I wasn't sure how the topic would translate to television (and because of the large cast), but it's a real winner. All they have to do is make sure they don't go all Twin Peaks after the initial storyline is wrapped up.

Other musings below. Keep in mind they're just my opinions, but they might include potential spoilers- be advised:

The "nuclear man" who was arrested (can't remember his character's name) isn't Sylar. But, IMHO, he is the cause of the explosion that takes out New York. My theory is that Sylar's power is that he's able to absorb other powers but needs a certain piece of the character's brain in order to do so. In the "bad" timeline (where NY blows up), he locates the "nuclear man" after killing Claire (thus gaining regeneration), defeats him and opens him up- an event that triggers a huge explosion alluded to in the hospital room (i.e. the nuclear man doesn't know what would happen if the cops shoot him). Sort of like the Parasite ripping open Captain Atom in "Kingdom Come"- which destroyed Kansas.

From what I've seen, Sylar's already got at least telekenisis, flash freeze, magnetism, and either flying or super speed along with a couple others we probably haven't seen yet (he's killed a few folks for their powers by now).

However, in the alternate "good" timeline, Peter shows up to save Claire from Sylar in time to prevent the disaster. He's really the only one who could considering that proximity would give him all of Sylar's powers and Claire's regeneration.
    Good calls Steel, I too think that Claire's father is actually a good guy, on the side of the government trying to keep tabs on all the supers. It has been brought up that when Claire was very young she had some sort of medical condition, and that she spent time in the hospital. Perhaps some sort of testing and or experimentation went on with her. This period could have been the alert the government needed to realize what was going on.

I think Claire's powers are so important to the storyline just like Wolverine's are to him. The ability to regenerate would make Syler unstoppable. Claire obviously can not defend herself, as evidenced by the attempted rape and subsequent temporary homicide.

What if the markings are actually some sort of tracking system, like a GPS tag of some sort for "supers". Or maybe they are kill switches?

What does everyone make of Linderman? He sure is involved with alot of the supers, and his name pops up alot. He purchased the paintings, and that sealed it for me. He is in this deep.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Yeah, well what do you know??

How's it going, Steel? Long time no see.
    Dangit, Tyler!

PM me with where the heck you are now. Wherever it is, you can bet I'll come down to visit.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    What if the markings are actually some sort of tracking system, like a GPS tag of some sort for "supers". Or maybe they are kill switches?
    Could be a tracking tag. Or it could be a "level" tag. For example, Matt Parkman has at least one-sided telepathy (he can hear, but we haven't seen him project). That may make him a Level 2 "super". Peter, Nathan, Isaac, Hiro, and maybe Claire are Level 1. And consider that Claire's father left Niki in the bed while taking Nathan and didn't mind-wipe Parkman. It's possible that HRG (Horn-Rimmed-Glasses = Claire's Fater) is only interested in the most powerful.

What does everyone make of Linderman? He sure is involved with alot of the supers, and his name pops up alot. He purchased the paintings, and that sealed it for me. He is in this deep.
    I think Linderman has powers as well, but I'm not sure we'll see him anytime soom. I think he'll remain in the shadows until the current storyline is over. I think he's a Dr. Doom type.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 11-08-2006 at 01:15 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I was thinking that too, but then I realized that there have just been so many mutants in the X-men universe that it's kind of hard to do a show about people developing special mutant powers without quite a few similarities.
    That's true, but Hiro, Niki/Jessica, Sylar, and "nuclear man" (Holocaust is the closest) really don't have X-Men comps.

Hiro's powers are nearly unprecedented in comics even though DC is more free with that power than Marvel. Maybe my memory is lapsing, but I can't remember a character with that kind of immediate chrono-control. I consider him the most powerful of all the characters. His only foil is a character who can either match him (Peter) or who can cancel his power (Leech- X-Men).

--Ted Williams

I dunno. Seems like a genuinely good guy, but maybe the wife's affair pushed him over the edge?
    bingo. I think an affair with the FBI agent is looming, and then some kind of accidental death, followed by a self "greater good" arguement for everything he does. At least that's the direction I'd take.

I'm thinking Peter doesn't yet understand the nature of his powers. He keeps referring to the ability to fly, which I believe he only borrows from his brother. Hiro probably should have clued him into this.

I see the FBI agent recruiting Mica and his dad.

Now, this is just a guess, but I have a feeling that Claire's dad might just be a good guy who's trying to "catalogue" the heros and gain an appreciation for their power levels. After all, the Haitian obviously has the power to mind wipe folks, but Matt Parkman is just fine after his abduction.
    Agreed on Claire's dad. Kind of a mini Prof. X. without the cool haircut.

Off topic a bit. Isn't it amazing how much better Civil War is than Infinite Crisis?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

That's true, but Hiro, Niki/Jessica, Sylar, and "nuclear man" (Holocaust is the closest) really don't have X-Men comps.

Hiro's powers are nearly unprecedented in comics even though DC is more free with that power than Marvel. Maybe my memory is lapsing, but I can't remember a character with that kind of immediate chrono-control. I consider him the most powerful of all the characters. His only foil is a character who can either match him (Peter) or who can cancel his power (Leech- X-Men).
    Actually there is a comp for Hiro, though i forget his name. Came from Bishops timeline, but required a ton of energy to power his jumps. Couldn't freeze time like Hiro, but that's as close as I can get. Sylar and Peter both compare favorably to Mimic, though Sylar's methods are a tad gross. Niki/Jessica could be similar to Monet, as far as the strength and dual personality goes, but that's a stretch.

Nuclear man could also be Sunfire.
    Last edited by TRF; 11-08-2006 at 10:00 AM.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I know nothing about the topic you're discussing. I'd just like to point out that if you could just alter one letter in this thread title, it would be called:

Herpes- Season One (NBC)

Now that's a show I'd tune into every week.
    Stick to your guns.

Big episode tonight.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Porkchop Sandwiches

I missed the first ten minutes, there is 15 left, and I must say this episode is living up to the hype.

University of Cincinnati

Great episode last night, and I really can't wait for next weeks which will be even bigger
    THE University of Cincinnati

Next week is huge. I'm hoping we haven't seen the last of the waitress. But the picture at the end might suggest otherwise. That Hiro hasn't returned does not bode well.

I'm also thinking HRG has a larger agenda that we will only see the beginning of this season. Next year I think he's more the focus as a bad guy. Though I doubt he realizes he's the bad guy.

Nuclear man escapes. I'm guessing he's the reason NY blows up, or Sylar kills him and does the job. That would be why he needs Claire, to regenerate after the explosion. Not sure why he needed the waitress though.

My take on the Hiro/Waitress thing is that Hiro want a little bit too far back in time, and met her way before he originally met her (hence he being at the birthday party).
    Therefor, she is alive, and she and Hiro are living life as they would normally live it, as is everyone else - except for Andos, who seems to be unaware of the new timeline.
    Of course, it is possible I am stating the obvious or have missed something obvious.

Great episode last night. The thing I liked most is that Nikki wasn't in it.
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Great episode last night. The thing I liked most is that Nikki wasn't in it.
    No kidding.

Hiro gets a another chance to prove he is a hero. I liked the waitress, but the question is why did Sylar need her super memory? Wouldn't it have been easier to take down Hiro while he was in the bathroom?

HRG pulls a face turn. So is he a caring Dad, and what really went wrong around the time of Claire's birth/adoption?

Can someone please explain to me the little boy in Mohindar's dreams? Does Mohindar have powers? His sister was special, perhaps he is as well. What caused her demise and why?

How did Matt and Radioactive man know the guy was Haitian? Is HRG trying to manipulate their powers?

Did Claire's cheerleader outfit get ruined? We finally see her out of it, (no Puffy she is wearing something else).
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?