Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brantley to booth...

Brantley to booth...

Per Enquirer:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/310250030

Jeff Brantley is the choice to be the third man in the Reds' radio booth.

An announcement could come shortly after the end of the World Series. Brantley, a former Reds reliever, is currently working the World Series for ESPN.

Brantley, 44, is expected to join Marty Brennaman and Thom Brennaman as part of the primary radio team. Thom is expected to work 45 games on the radio and 45 games on TV. Marty's longtime partner, Joe Nuxhall, will work six to 12 games. That will leave the bulk of the schedule to Marty Brennaman and Brantley.

Brantley could not be reached for comment. But two sources said the Reds and Brantley have agreed to a deal.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen said the search is "proceeding. I'm not going to comment publicly on candidates."

One of the other candidates for the job - former Reds catcher Joe Oliver - said Tuesday that he had not heard from the Reds in weeks.

Brantley has worked for ESPN since 2002, shortly after he retired following a 14-year big league career. Brantley has been a regular on Baseball Tonight as well as an analyst on games.

When the Reds announced that Steve Stewart's contract would not be renewed, team officials said they wanted a former player to provide analysis.

The job will also require some play-by-play. Marty Brennaman calls the first, second, fifth, sixth, eighth and ninth innings of games. The second announcer does play-by-play in the third, four and seventh innings.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brantley to booth...

I'm not looking forward to hearing Brantley do PBP.
    Go Gators!

We'll see how this works out....he wouldn't have been my first choice.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

There's going to be some ego cage matches going on in that booth.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

It seems that Marty and Brantley have the type of personalities that would clash. It may get interesting in the booth at times next season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    It seems that Marty and Brantley have the type of personalities that would clash. It may get interesting in the booth at times next season.
    The Poofy-haired Fancy Boy v. the Mullet Man of Mississippi State.

A.K.A. "Franchester and the Hoke Show!"
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I just wish they would have made more improvements to the TV crew. We do get Thom for 45 TV games but other than that we are still stuck with Grande for 100 games and Welsh for all 145.

Ugh...color me unimpressed.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I like this a lot. Accountability and knowledge in the booth. Good move.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

so glad I don't have to listen to the Reds on radio
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I just wish they would have made more improvements to the TV crew. We do get Thom for 45 TV games but other than that we are still stuck with Grande for 100 games and Welsh for all 145.
    I predict Chris and George won't be so bad this year.
    Go Gators!

Horrible choice, I can't stand Brantley on BBTN, so I won't be listening on the radio for sure now.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Is Welsh doing all 145? I thought he was also only doing 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I like this a lot. Accountability and knowledge in the booth. Good move.

I want to know whose accountable for that mullet. The 1980's are dead so s/he can't be held responsible anymore.

Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I guess I don't have to keep this secret anymore....

Turn Off Ads?