Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Astros.com on Adam Dunn...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Astros.com on Adam Dunn...

From Astros.com

Question:
    Rumor has it that the Reds are getting rid of their big strikeout hitter...Adam Dunn. Do you think the Astros will try to get him on a trade? I would love to see Adam here! His hometown is New Caney......Samuel R., Houston

Answer: from Alyson Footer / MLB.com
    Apparently, Dunn is salivating at the idea of playing for his hometown Astros. And yes, the Reds are throwing around the idea of trading him for pitching. So it's something that I'm sure both teams will look into this winter.
    I've made my opinions of Dunn clear in past mailbags, and those opinions aren't too popular among those who want the 6-foot-6 slugger in the Astros' lineup. I won't beat around the bush.. his 194 strikeouts make my stomach turn. The Astros have enough hitters who whiff on a much-too-regular basis. Why add another?
    But a friend of mine who is close to the Reds organization swayed my opinions a bit. First of all, as we know, Dunn is a terrific home run hitter. He's hit at least 40 three years in a row. And he walks a lot. He's drawn at least 100 free passes in each of the last three seasons. He's averaging .380 in on-base percentage over that same span of time -- not too shabby.
    He'd look quite nice hitting in the cleanup spot, behind Lance Berkman. Yes, I'll admit that. But a .234 batting average? Yikes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros.com on Adam Dunn...

Chicks dig teh batting average.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Nice find. But, I don't like the Astros as a trading partner.

I hope the Astros think along the same lines as Alyson Footer, and that WayneK does not.

What a dipstick, though.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Chicks dig teh batting average.
    But real girls are smarter.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    But real girls are smarter.
    Yes, yes they are.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    From Astros.com

Answer: from Alyson Footer / MLB.com
    now we know astrobuddy's name irl!

Astros spelled backwards is Sortsa

Psst.... guys, all Dunn does is think about going to Houston. In fact all of his defensive lapses or strikeouts caught looking were due to the reason that his attention was focused elsewhere.

Geez, for his 190 K's, horrible RISP, terrible BA and horrific defense, there seem to be a lot of teams interested in taking him off of our hands for us . . .

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    Geez, for his 190 K's, horrible RISP, terrible BA and horrific defense, there seem to be a lot of teams interested in taking him off of our hands for us . . .
    Because he's a special player. People get blinded by all those things you mentioned and forget how good he really is.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Because he's a special player. People get blinded by all those things you mentioned and forget how good he really is.
    I think terminator was being sarcastic. He was pointing out how others seem to criticize Dunn while discussing how much they would love to have him. They think that by pointing out Dunn's faults they can drive the price down (in their fantasy world) and justify giving up nothing for him.

In other news Albert Pujols is not clutch (have you seen him in the playoffs?!!) and grounds into too many double plays. Johan Santana is way overrated because he doesn't throw CGs much less SHOs, and he has a great defense behind him. We should trade for those guys, but I wouldn't want to give up more than William Bergolla (I hear the Cardinals need a 2B), Tyler Pelland, or Scott Hatteburg. Ryan Freel and Todd Coffey are untouchable!

If we were to make a trade with the Astros involving Dunn, than this is what I ask for in return:

Reds trade: Adam Dunn

Astros trade: Brandon Backe(SP) and Brad Lidge(cl)

I think Lidge will be fine once he gets out of Houston, where he can regain his closer's status, and Backe solidifies the #4 spot in the rotation. We then free up $ to go and sign some FA's

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    If we were to make a trade with the Astros involving Dunn, than this is what I ask for in return:

Reds trade: Adam Dunn

Astros trade: Brandon Backe(SP) and Brad Lidge(cl)

I think Lidge will be fine once he gets out of Houston, where he can regain his closer's status, and Backe solidifies the #4 spot in the rotation. We then free up $ to go and sign some FA's
    Backe is injury prone and not particularly good.

Lidge just came off an awful year.

If we trade Dunn for pitching, we need better certainty for success, than two huge question marks.

Ok so you dont like Backe, what about this deal invoving the Astros.

Reds deal: Adam Dunn

Astros deal: Brad Lidge(CL) Willy Tavares(CF) and Jason Hirsch(SP)

Turn Off Ads?