Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: UC basketball vs. UC football

Re: UC basketball vs. UC football

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I called my mom this morning to hear her thoughts and she answered the phone "Bearcats Central". She was beside herself, said it was probably "the most exciting damn game I've ever been to." She rushed the field and said she hugged "about 12 Bearcats". She loves that team and said that in her mind it was the game of the day, even more than OSU-Mich because it's such an upset and UC is such a happy good team. She said this was the QB's first start ever?!?

I can't believe I didn't go. I'm a moron.

I was there for the big win in 1999 against Wisconsin. You really missed out, VP.

This game is a big step for UC football. It will probably never become the phenomenon that UC hoops was for about 10 years there but it's a good step. They need to sustain it and need to look no farther than across the field for inspiration. If Rutgers can do it, so can UC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I was there for the big win in 1999 against Wisconsin. You really missed out, VP.
    That was exactly the game she compared it to. I have no idea what she's talking about, of course, except that it was a big game and probably an upset.

I was supposed to be getting mad work done this weekend, but all of these Reds moves have slowed that down considerably. Arrggghhh

That game was incredible. The entire night was incredible. The atmosphere was awesome. I've never had that much fun at a game before, including all the OSU games I've been to. Nippert really is a great setting for college football. As far as I'm concerned everyone in Cincinnati that decided to sit at home missed out on one incredible night.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but UC won their final game of the season on the road today.

7-5. Not bad at all for a sophomore-laden team picked to win only 3 or 4 games this preseason.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

UC had a good year considering that they had the toughest strength of schedule in the country, and a young team. I will be rooting hard for them in their bowl game, and I hope they can hold on to Mark Dantonio, but UC is going to have to up his pay.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I heard Sparty may be looking at Dantonio.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Great season by the Bearcats. They played everybody tough. Hope they can bulid next year and get into the top of the Big East.

According to Lance's blog, Mich. St. now has Dantonio as their #1 candidate. Terrible news. Hopefully he's committed to staying at UC and building the program. He's paid the 3rd lowest salary for any BCS school though, so that will have to change to keep him.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    According to Lance's blog, Mich. St. now has Dantonio as their #1 candidate. Terrible news. Hopefully he's committed to staying at UC and building the program. He's paid the 3rd lowest salary for any BCS school though, so that will have to change to keep him.
    Word has it now that UC has given Dantonio permission to talk with Sparty, and he's up there in EL tonight speaking to the AD.

If I was a betting man, I'd say 90% that Dantonio leaves. There is simply no way, no how that the current chiefs at UC will pay the kind of coin that is required to keep him with the program

Plus, Sparty is just a better job -- better conference, and at a school where you don't have to give tickets away to get 27,000 fans to show up for a nationally televised game.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Too bad, if all this is true. Michigan State is the better job, but I would pass if I was Dantonio, Michigan State is at best the fourth best job available in the BigTen. Remember Marvin Lewis turned them down repeatedly before he came to Cincinnati. Michigan State has decent facilities and will undoubtably give Dantonio at least a millon dollars raise. I see that job as a graveyard. Buyer beware. If he were to put together a big year next year, in the Big East he may have better opportunities to choose from.

I believe that UC is really screwed in this situation, because of the Huggins fiasco. They had to buy him out for a boatload of cash, pay Andy Kennedy, buyout and pay Mick Cronin, plus attendance dropped last year, and is pitiful this year for basketball, as well as the drop in donations. The Basketball program had been carrying the athletic department. The BigEast tie ins do bring in more cash and they figure to get over $2.5 million in bowl payouts, etc. I doubt that they can come close to matching MSU for compensation.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

UC needs to do what it takes to keep Dantonio in Clifton for a very long time.

Just when the football program finally begins gaining positive momentum, they might lose their coach.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    UC needs to do what it takes to keep Dantonio in Clifton for a very long time.

Just when the football program finally begins gaining positive momentum, they might lose their coach.
    Dantonio is gone, expect a presser at MSU tomorrow naming him head coach.

UC needs to step up and hire a big name coach if they really want to move this program forward. If they hire another nobody everything that has been gained over the last few seasons could end up down the drain.

Given the current administrations attitude toward athletics, and the fact Nancy has ruined the basketball money machine, I'm sure we'll hire whoever is willing to work for the cheapest. Dantonio was one of the worst paid BCS coaches in all of college football, I'm sure his replacement won't do much better.

Great decision by Dantonio. Pretty easy I would say. He has gotten no support here and the Big Ten is the best conference in America.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Terrible news for the UC program. Just when everyone started getting excited about UC football.

Porkchop Sandwiches

C. Trent Rosecrans refuses to call it a done deal on his blog, and until he does I am still holding out hope that Dantonio is not leaving. If it is true, then I reiterate what Redlegs23 says, word for word.

Turn Off Ads?