Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: UC basketball vs. UC football

Re: UC basketball vs. UC football

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I had a good friend who was a UC alumni and diehard basketball fan (during the Huggins era). He took me to a few UC basketball games about 10-12 years ago. He told me one time that I could go to a UC football game with him sometime if I was interested. I was sort of surprised when he told me that in order to have UC basketball season tickets he was also required by UC to buy football season tickets too. You could get football season tickets by themself, but you had to buy the football package in order to get the basketball package... take it or leave it. I cannot confirm it, but this friend was a real honest type.

Is this still the case at UC?
    Yep. That is still the policy as far as I know.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Yep. That is still the policy as far as I know.
    Thanks, paintmered.

I do not agree with this policy. It seems that when you "force" something upon someone, then they usually end up not liking it. I wonder how many diehard basketball fans end up blowing off the football tickets (or try reselling them for whatever they can get or give them away) and end up feeling "overcharged" for their loyal support of the hoops team? They might even feel negative towards the gridiron team b/c of the forced purchase.

I feel you should let football fans support the team. Do not "force" fans of other sports to buy into it. Some may support both, but let the paying customer decide and not be forced. Perhaps the admins. need to sit in a freshman Marketing 101 course?!?

As a teen in Centerville, I grew up as a Univ. of Dayton basketball fan (Hank Finkel, Don May, et al). Got my undergrad degree at OSU so I became a Buckeye football fan (Rex Kern, Archie Griffin, et al).

I moved down to Cincinnati in '84. Slowly over time, my allegiance to UD basketball waned and I slowly warmed to UC hoops. Mostly because that was all that was in the paper and on TV. I knew UC had a football team, read the game stories in the paper, went to the odd game when someone gave me tickets, but didn't pay much other attention.

As my son went through HS, I noticed UC recruits pretty hard at all the local high schools. Athletically, yes, but they recuit the good academic kids as well. Plus there are some ties between the music programs at UC's CCM and Mason HS. As a fall-out, I started paying more attention to UC and UC football. I follow the games a little more closely now.

So my son is a freshman at UC this year. Lives on campus and is absolutely loving college life. I've taken him to tOSU games over the years (I get alumni tickets) so he has been exposed to the grand spectacle and paegent of OSU football. He goes to UC football games. He's said they play pretty decent football but it is just not the same.

My opinion is they seem to be on the right track with Mark Dantonio. He is building a good program and I think reaching a level of a team like Louisville is reachable. Paint's prediction of 8-9 wins next seems plausible. But if UC starts experiencing some success, they are going to have a hard time holding onto Dantonio.

UC has poured a lot of money into its Clifton campus and it is a nice place now. Nippert Stadium is a very nice facility in the middle of a modern urban campus. I think it will attract recruits.

But it will always be a problem getting fans to come to UC games on a regular basis. There are entirely too many sports options in the greater Cincinnati area. Reds, Bengals, Miami, OSU, UK, etc etc.

Compounding the problem is the whoring to ESPN. I realize the necessity of TV exposure, but if yoplay a game on a Sunday night against Southen Florida, you aren't going to get a crowd. If you play on a Friday night, you're up against high school football which is huge around here.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I agree with a lot of what's been said in these posts. Especially the ones that say the crowd is linked directly to the success they have on the field. UC basketball has a great history from the 60's, but obviously had some down times during the Yates era (which I was not around for). Then Huggs came along, two years later we're in the final four, and suddenly everybody loves UC basketball again. I think this shows that Cincy is a fair weather type of town.

In order to get that type of following for football I think there needs to be a big time bowl game involved. A 2nd tier bowl game will probably help attendance, but it won't push it over the edge. This success is obviously linked to recruiting, which is improving. In fact, just this morning we got a recruit who had offers from BC and Rutgers. Dantonio is moving this program in the right direction, but unfortunately many of the recruits are leaning in other directions after they come to campus and watch a game. Not so much because of the product on the field, but more because of the 10-15,000 attendance numbers and people just not caring about the program. Recruits just don't find that atmosphere too exciting when they can go somewhere else and have 60,000+ cheering for them every Saturday.

For those of you who haven't been to a game in a while, or possibly ever I encourage you to get down to a game this weekend. It's homecoming at UC and should be a good game against Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    In order to get that type of following for football I think there needs to be a big time bowl game involved. A 2nd tier bowl game will probably help attendance, but it won't push it over the edge. This success is obviously linked to recruiting, which is improving. In fact, just this morning we got a recruit who had offers from BC and Rutgers. Dantonio is moving this program in the right direction, but unfortunately many of the recruits are leaning in other directions after they come to campus and watch a game. Not so much because of the product on the field, but more because of the 10-15,000 attendance numbers and people just not caring about the program. Recruits just don't find that atmosphere too exciting when they can go somewhere else and have 60,000+ cheering for them every Saturday.
    In my (fairly uneducated) opinion, UC will always have trouble recruiting in football simply due to the geographical competition of Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame et al; those football programs are never going away. But yes, it can improve.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    And how do you win? With constant top 30 recruiting classes. That's just not possible at this school. The program has zero tradition and not much in terms of aesthetics either. It's getting better, but it's still not the best. There are just too many potential options for the type of recruit that UC must get. They lose too much second tier talent to Miami and other schools.

That's defeatism. Why even have a football program in Division 1 if you don' think you can compete against the best? Many programs were worse off than UC is or has been and they turned into powerhouses. Up until the 50s or 60s Florida St. was a women's college. The University of Miami was not a powerhouse until the mid 80s. Recently, Virginia Tech has become a perennial powerhouse. Before the 90s two programs that were laughing stocks were Kansas State and Wisconsin. Kansas St. was losing to 1-AA schools at home. Wisconsin was pathetic. But they hired Bill Snyder and Barry Alvarez and have gone to multiple BCS bowls. You think it's hard to recruit football players at UC, try getting them to come to Manhattan, Kansas. Madison Wisconsin is a pretty nice place from what I've been told but there was no real tradition there before Alvarez came on board. Kansas St. had to recruit against all the Texas schools, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. and Nebraska. Wisconsin had to recruit against Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio St. and Iowa. Yet they managed to turn things around.

It's also easier now to build up a program. And it's not like UC is in the shape a Wisconsin or a Kansas State were. With scholarship limits and national TV exposure, not to mention being in a BCS conference, you have an opportunity to get some kids to come to your school. Athletes want two things from a school. Playing time and TV exposure. UC can give a kid who is wanting to go to tOSU an opportunity to play within the first couple of years he is there. If he goes to tOSU, he may have to sit on the bench for 4-5 years. Perhaps by the time he's a senior he can start but until then, he's going to have to cool his heels on the bench. Maybe he'll get on special teams but unless he is super talented, he's not going to play regularly very soon. At UC, he may redshirt a year but, as paint said, look at all the sophomores that are playing for UC now. With all the sports channels that are out there, a team like UC is going to be on national or regional TV a lot - especially if they are good.

I don't know if this will happen at UC but it's not impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    And how do you win? With constant top 30 recruiting classes. That's just not possible at this school. The program has zero tradition and not much in terms of aesthetics either. It's getting better, but it's still not the best. There are just too many potential options for the type of recruit that UC must get. They lose too much second tier talent to Miami and other schools.
    They lose too much second tier talent to Miami? Let's see here....

Right now Miami is 1-7 with their only win coming over hapless Buffalo (1-6). They were also beaten earlier this year by UC by two touchdowns. If that's the talent that UC is losing out on, then that's fine by me.

But I think you bring up an interesting point whether you realize it or not. There's a perception that UC is nothing more than a MAC program in a major conference. That's something that needs to change for the program to reach the next level.

By the way, if any of you are looking for something to do on Saturday..... UC vs. Syracuse, high noon. Tickets start at $10.

UC must carve a niche in recruiting football players. They must offer players early, and identify borderline academic recruits who are likely to make the grade. They can take some of the players that can't get into an Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Michigan. Dantonio has gotten better at doing this, but he needs more. Winning brings recruits more than anything else, UC should not be trying to compete with OSU, scUM, or ND for recruits, their competition should be the lower level B10 and SEC schools. These teams manage to recruit some great players, and with time UC can as well. Selling the opportunity to go to a bowl, and to be seen on ESPN, is a major advantage, over say an Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, etc. Recruits invision themselves playing in bowls, not sitting at home over Christmas break. The short term goal must be making bowl appearances a yearly occurance. Then the recruiting will pick up and after that you can begin discussing BCS bowls.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's defeatism. Why even have a football program in Division 1 if you don' think you can compete against the best?
    I guess they should keep trying. After attending school here and seeing the pecking order of UC football I have very little faith that it can become anything good. I'm not trying to be negative, it's just playing about tenth fiddle in this city for sports entertainment.

The problem with turning around this football program is nothing new, it's just never been even remotely successful and I don't see how it would now. There are even more options for people than before.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    UC must carve a niche in recruiting football players. They must offer players early, and identify borderline academic recruits who are likely to make the grade. They can take some of the players that can't get into an Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Michigan. Dantonio has gotten better at doing this, but he needs more. Winning brings recruits more than anything else, UC should not be trying to compete with OSU, scUM, or ND for recruits, their competition should be the lower level B10 and SEC schools. These teams manage to recruit some great players, and with time UC can as well. Selling the opportunity to go to a bowl, and to be seen on ESPN, is a major advantage, over say an Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, etc. Recruits invision themselves playing in bowls, not sitting at home over Christmas break. The short term goal must be making bowl appearances a yearly occurance. Then the recruiting will pick up and after that you can begin discussing BCS bowls.
    Indiana, Illinois, and even Northwestern are recruiting WELL above UC at this point. UC would never pull off a Jordan Mabin type unless he was an academic casualty. UC might be a Big East school, but they target the exact same kids that Miami does. They have to.

Bump.

I'm not sure how well communicated it has been, but the UC/Rutgers game has been moved to 7:45. Which means that "other game" can no longer be used as an excuse to stay home - especially since it will be shown on the Schott Stadium video board.

Ticket information: http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-...110906aad.html
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-12-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I'm not sure how well communicated it has been, but the UC/Rutgers game has been moved to 7:45. Which means that "other game" can no longer be used as an excuse to stay home - especially since it will be shown on the Schott Stadium video board.
    I'm going! And I don't even like football that much!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm going! And I don't even like football that much!
    I'll walk over to the game depending on the Buckeyes outcome. I'm not gonna lie, I'll be a big baby and not leave the house if they somehow lose

I'll definitely be there. I've heard that there's only a couple of sections that have tickets left, so if you're going get your tickets soon. Also, I think this is the game that veterans can get in free. Let's get a good crowd in there and give this football program the support they deserve to pull of a big time upset! Ticket information is at www.gobearcats.com.

Big weekend for football. If still lived in Cincinnati, I'd be at Nippert both Friday and Saturday night, rooting on the Bombers and Bearcats (rooting for the Wolverines in between).
    Tyler

Turn Off Ads?