Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best $70 I ever spent....

Best $70 I ever spent....

I have over 1/2 acre of land with well over 50 trees. I have a gigantic sycamore and 4 ash trees around the house and they dump tons and tons of leaves.

For the past 8 years of home onwership I've made due with rake, broom and lawnmower. I took the "plunge" and bought a combo leaf blower/vac.

AWESOME is the only word I can use to describe it. I'd say it's cut my labor by 75% easily.

Highly reccomended if you don't already have one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best $70 I ever spent....

I thought this was going to be a post saying you got a .5 acre of land for 70 bucks..

now that would be a good 70 bucks spent.

One advantage to living in an HOA community, is I have no yardwork...
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Before opening I was sure you bought the Star Wars DVD combo tin from Best Buy, then upon opening I thought you bought the land for 70 bucks.

The leaf blower, I agree, great investment.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

You want to take a real plunge, get one of these bad boys:

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BR550.html

200 MPH of wind power. You can go out while your neighbor is at church and put all your leaves on his yard before he gets home.

But these suckers cost upwards of $400. These are actually more for commercial use or really big spaces but they are real workhorses. I have one I can borrow anytime and I can come home and clean up my yard after work. With a rake it would take all day.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I thought this was going to be a post saying you got a .5 acre of land for 70 bucks..

now that would be a good 70 bucks spent.

One advantage to living in an HOA community, is I have no yardwork...

I am glad I am not the only one who was misled

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I have over 1/2 acre of land with well over 50 trees. I have a gigantic sycamore and 4 ash trees around the house and they dump tons and tons of leaves.
    With that many trees then you also need one of these babies.

Got mine at Lowes last month. $100 well invested.

I have a Craftsman leaf blower that I call "The Terminator" because it's friggin HUGE strapped over your shoulder, and I "role play" as Arnold.

Of course the leaves always say "I'll be back!"

I have a giant tarp that I lay out, and when I get the leaves into a pile(s), then the kids rake them onto it, we drag it out back, and then burn them. The leaves that is.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-26-2006 at 07:35 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

AWESOME is the only word I can use to describe it. I'd say it's cut my labor by 75% easily.
    And cuts hand/finger blisters by 100%!!

I used the blower to blow the leaves out of my gutters.

The entire time I was crab walking across the roof and blowing leaves into the next county I just kept thinking....

"Don't fall off the roof like GAC.....don't fall off the roof like GAC".

:

I was out with the kids raking leaves on Sunday. I gave them the rakes and I used the blower.

Like what always happens, the kids raked long enough to make a pile. Then they abandoned the rakes and repeatedly jumped in the leaf pile. And then they disappeared.

I looked at the rake and thought "hey, it might be good exercise" and picked it up and raked. That lasted about 15 minutes. I put that sucker back down and started back up my blower.

And I seem to have picked an assortment of trees for the yard that drop their leaves over a long period of time. The locust dropped its little leaves back in September while the pear tree out front is just now starting to think about losing its green color. Meanwhile, the maples and ashes are taking serial turns dropping leaves. Since the stupid grass has decided to continue growing, I have to either rake up the leaves or bag the clippings when I mow.

This white boy gots dem leafy 'burb rakin' blues...
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

"Don't fall off the roof like GAC.....don't fall off the roof like GAC".

:
    "It was a tree, not a roof!"

I'm smart enough to not fall off a roof!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I thought this might be something that included lap, dance, and Vegas. But it was about a "blower" and a "plunge".

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I thought this might be something that included lap, dance, and Vegas.
    Yeah, but if you only spent $70 what you'd get in return wouldn't be the "Best" of anything.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Best $70 I ever spent....
    My best $70 spent was on a pair of boots that I got in Nelsonville in 1988, I didn't have any winter footware and was headed for a week in the Smokies.

I still have thoses boots, they're uglier then sin and as comfortable as a feather bed.

Supreme Jar Opener

I just leave them where they fall... one, I don't have much work to do, and two, they rot make great fertilizer, so the lawn is nice and pretty come spring...

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My best $70 spent was on a pair of boots that I got in Nelsonville in 1988, I didn't have any winter footware and was headed for a week in the Smokies.

I still have thoses boots, they're uglier then sin and as comfortable as a feather bed.

Must be Rocky boots. I have several pair in different Gortex thinsulate linings for various tempretures. They are outstanding boots; the best made if you ask me.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?