Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Brantley back in cincy

Jeff Brantley back in cincy

Didn't see this posted on Reds Live yet:

Per Enquirer

Jeff Brantley is the choice to be the third man in the Reds' radio booth.

An announcement could come shortly after the end of the World Series. Brantley, a former Reds reliever, is currently working the World Series for ESPN.

Brantley, 44, is expected to join Marty Brennaman and Thom Brennaman as part of the primary radio team. Thom is expected to work 45 games on the radio and 45 games on TV. Marty's longtime partner, Joe Nuxhall, will work six to 12 games. That will leave the bulk of the schedule to Marty Brennaman and Brantley.

Brantley could not be reached for comment. But two sources said the Reds and Brantley have agreed to a deal.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen said the search is "proceeding. I'm not going to comment publicly on candidates."

One of the other candidates for the job - former Reds catcher Joe Oliver - said Tuesday that he had not heard from the Reds in weeks.

Brantley has worked for ESPN since 2002, shortly after he retired following a 14-year big league career. Brantley has been a regular on Baseball Tonight as well as an analyst on games.

When the Reds announced that Steve Stewart's contract would not be renewed, team officials said they wanted a former player to provide analysis.

The job will also require some play-by-play. Marty Brennaman calls the first, second, fifth, sixth, eighth and ninth innings of games. The second announcer does play-by-play in the third, four and seventh innings
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Brantley back in cincy

me likey

I'm certainly willing to give him a chance. Things will definitely be different than what we've gotten used to the last couple of years. Whether it is a positive or negative change will be interesting to see.

Brantley didn't hold back much when he was on BBT. I'm sure being on the radio he will be even more opinionated. I like the move as well.

I like the move. I think he and Marty will be very funny and critical together. I'm a fan of having a former player in the booth and I though Brantley was very good on ESPN. I wonder if they will try to include him in any of the tv games also because he does seem rather comfortable in front of the camera.

Every time I see him,I cannot get that ninth inning of game 1 of the 1995 LCS out of my mind.

(Brantley blew the win/save and we promptly got swept...... )
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Ex-Tree

Not crazy about Brantley. At least with him on the radio, I won't have to look at that wacky Jheri curl.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

to me.....the thought is mr.c has went out and got 2 names from major networks for the broadcasts booth.if he does this for this for broadcasting...it makes you think he will make a bigger splash with the actual team !

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Whenever I think of Brantley I remember a Sunday night game in the early 90's when he was still with the Giants. He was pitching against the Reds in a tie game. It was the bottom of the ninth and the bases were loaded. He threw ball four to walk in the winning run. The pitch was borderline and he didnt agree with the call and just slowly walked off the mound towards the dugout and the whole time he just glared at the umpire in such a way I have never forgotten it. Say what you want about him but he was such a competitor and I cant help but think he will bring some of that fire and conviction with him to the booth. By the way, in the article in the Post that Marc wrote, he said that the Reds were his childhood team and the Reds were his favorite team of the 5 he played for in his career. I'm sure he will work out just fine.

Darn, does this mean my man Tracy is officially out of the running. Im crushed.

I hope he is better than he was on BBT. Man, was he awful. Of course that show jumped the shark long ago.

I am glad Brantley will be in the Broadcastbooth. He might also be able to help the pitchers as a unofficial pitching coach.

Give me Thom Brennaman for all 162 games and I'm an orgasm waiting to happen all year long.

I keep seeing that Thom is going to work 45 games on TV but I haven't seen anything about how the TV crew is going to be set up.

If Thom is in the TV booth, does that mean George isn't? Are George and Chris going to call the games Thom doesn't?

I'm sure it has been talked about but I missed it. Can someone fill me in?

Interesting tidbit of trivia....Who was Jeff Brantley's last manager in his MLB career? Jerry Narron.

Turn Off Ads?