Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips Plays Where?

Brandon Phillips Plays Where?

The Reds are making (another) curious move. They seem set against a move of Phillips to SS. Putting Phillips at SS would remove a major need (that has very scarce options) from the shopping list and allow the Reds to choose from multiple options at 2B giving them much more selectivity and leverage for adding or utilizing the players who best fit the offensive needs. It might also be an upgrade at 2B depending on who is brought in. As well as Phillips played at 2B, he really was nothing special turning the DP and his range, hands, etc, would seem just as (or more) valuable at SS.

There are multiple options to capably man 2B. They could bring Aurilia back, sign Kennedy, Loretta, Belliard, etc. or just split time with Freel and Harris.

Making Phillips the fixture at 2B also keeps Freel in the OF and w/o IF time he is really devalued IMO. Harris becomes a non-entity. Phillips would have more value as an accomplished SS than as a 2B. Keeping him at 2B seems to be removing value from all 3 players who figure to be on next year's roster.

Given how much this would seem to make sense, and how against it the Reds seem to be, I have to conclude that the Reds really don't like the idea of Phillips at SS.

Anyone know why? Do they love him at 2B so much that they don't want to move him? Do they think he can't play SS? Is his arm too weak? Is it just a negotiating ploy for getting Richie back for less money (seems strange if it is)? Do they want a proven vet playing next to EE?

I just can't figure it out.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: Brandon Phillips Plays Where?

I think the logic is that they know they like him at 2nd, but don't know for sure how he'd do at short. So keeping him where he is would be their first choice. I've never gotten the impression they were dead set against moving him.

I'm puzzled. Has some formal announcement been made or are you basing this on their previous non-committal "there's no immediate plan" type statements?

There is no doubt in my mind that the Reds will give him a look at SS. The question is how serious of a look will that be. During the season, on multiple occasions, Narron and Krivsky both eluded to the fact that they are perfectly happy leaving Phillips at 2B. Its hard to tell if they were talking about the current situation or the future. I like mth believe that they would in fact rather go get a SS then use Phillips at SS if they can't get one. I can't pin point reasons for my belief, its a combination of things said and done.

Remember when Phillips was given a look at the end of the season. That sure didn't amount to much. Granted, they were still technically in the playoff race. Still, I haven't seen anything to make me believe Phillips is going to be given serious consideration at SS. The proof will come in either the offseason where they could make a move for a SS or 2B, or in spring training where if they are going to give Phillips a shot, they have to push him hard at SS.

I do believe however that wether or not Aurillia comes back could play into this.

with the talk of keeping Phillips at 2nd, i have this feeling our next SS will be from outside the orginization.. i have a hunch it will revolve around A-rod or Tejada.. I feel Bob is going to make a splash to really make change to show Reds fans, that losing ways are not tolerated...Just my gut feel.. guess we shall see... and i think it will involve Adam dunn too..

also i have this question: If the price was right, would you rather have a 1 year rental of Bagwell or Hatteberg waiting for joey Votto???

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    also i have this question: If the price was right, would you rather have a 1 year rental of Bagwell or Hatteberg waiting for joey Votto???
    Bagwell is finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think the FO wants Aurilia back for something like what he was paid this season to man 2B, and only then do they start seriously considering Brandon @ SS. If Richie won't come back, Brandon stays @ 2B and they try to fill the SS position w/ someone outside the organization.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    If Richie won't come back, Brandon stays @ 2B and they try to fill the SS position w/ someone outside the organization.

Or they could stay inside the organization. Seems they traded for a SS last year. (ducks)
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think it would be best to send him to SS and acquire a 2B. 2B are easier to get and also cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Bagwell is finished.
    Seems like everybody knows this but him.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I think it would be best to send him to SS and acquire a 2B. 2B are easier to get and also cheaper.
    The problem is Brandon Phillips is not a very good fielder right now. In the Majors this past season at 2B he was:

20th in Fielding Percentage
    12th in Range Factor
    2nd in Errors
    15th in Double Plays
    20th in Assists.

Why move him to a tougher fielding position when he can't field very well at the one he already is at? If the Reds thought for a moment that Phillips could handle SS, why trade for Gil? Why would they sign Castro to a two year contract? Brandon Phillips has a lot of promise but if you put him out there at SS for a full season, he'll get killed. He's staying at 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Seems like everybody knows this but him.

Yeah. What was his buyout, $7M or something like that? Bet the Astros rue the day they signed him to that deal. He basically hasn't contributed a thing to them for 2 years.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Fielding stats have little merit.

Low amount of DPs & assists... hmm, how many ground ball pitchers do we have?

Jerry Gil was acquired as a back up / bench player IMO and the same goes for Juan Castro.

Sorry but I think BP is moving to second, and will do well.

I personally believe that they are still open to the idea, but they first want to see what's available on the free agent/trade market before making an official announcement, so in the meantime, they'll keep things status quo. If they announce that he's moving to shortstop and then find out that a good shortstop can be had a great price, then they would have to back out on their decision, which is a bad P.R. move.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    The problem is Brandon Phillips is not a very good fielder right now. In the Majors this past season at 2B he was:

20th in Fielding Percentage
    12th in Range Factor
    2nd in Errors
    15th in Double Plays
    20th in Assists.

Why move him to a tougher fielding position when he can't field very well at the one he already is at? If the Reds thought for a moment that Phillips could handle SS, why trade for Gil? Why would they sign Castro to a two year contract? Brandon Phillips has a lot of promise but if you put him out there at SS for a full season, he'll get killed. He's staying at 2B.
    Well, I'd argue those aren't exactly apples to apples stat comparisons. For instance, those RF, DP and assists numbers could be very good dependent on how many GBs his pitchers induced and who else he played with on the IF.

What the apples to apples numbers have shown (and it jibes with what a lot of folks seem to have picked up from watching him) is that Phillips is a solid 2B. He wasn't great last year, but he was better than average. Seeing that it was his first full season in the majors, that's encouraging.

Yet I don't agree with moving him over to SS and it's got nothing to do with Gil, who's little more than minor league fodder (the new Aaron Herr if you will).

A) A solid 2B usually makes for a below average SS. Phillips' SS ceiling is probably a hair above average.

B) Phillips spent a lot of years trying to find his comfort zone on the baseball field. He found it last season as a 2B. I don't consider him a "proven" player just yet and I'd rather not see the Reds mess him up with a position switch.

C) And this gets back to point A, Phillips and some middling-to-cruddy 2B doesn't give you a good defense, which it would seem to me should be the team's aim. Phillips at 2B and a good SS to pair with him would give the Reds the kind of higher quality keystone we Reds fans have spent most of our lives watching.

D) I don't think the Reds can successfully get ahead until they do the hard things involved with team building. One of the main flaws with the Reds management in this century has been its unwillingness to tackle the hard things first. Get those out of the way and you're in good shape. Ignore them and you're never really all that close to being a viable contender.
    Last edited by M2; 11-01-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?