Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New Mailbag Writer on cincinnatireds.com

marty&joe

New Mailbag Writer on cincinnatireds.com

This guy (Mark Sheldon i believe) they've got doing the mailbag on the reds homepage is completely lame.:thumbdown I can't decide if he's writing the obituaries or talking about my reds. I wish they'd bring back Anthony Castrovince or at least someone else with some witful humor. I mean come on, fans spend enough time sending in questions, at least make it enjoyable to read!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Mailbag Writer on cincinnatireds.com

The bigger laugh, in my opinion, was the writer asking about moving Hatteberg to LF and bringing Dunn to 1B to improve our team defense...I just shook my head in astonishment. You're right though, the guy doing it now is pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by marty&joe View Post
    This guy (Mark Sheldon i believe) they've got doing the mailbag on the reds homepage is completely lame.:thumbdown I can't decide if he's writing the obituaries or talking about my reds. I wish they'd bring back Anthony Castrovince or at least someone else with some witful humor. I mean come on, fans spend enough time sending in questions, at least make it enjoyable to read!!
    I think Sheldon is much more opinionated, and I like that. He doesn't use humor, but he gives some good information and explains things very well. You have to remember, the mailbag is directed at more casual fans than the ones around here. I also have to disagree on the fans spending enought time to send questions. If there really was a lot of time put in to some of those questions, we wouldn't have seen the Hatteberg in LF idea. Before you say the mailbag is an easy thing to write, think of all of the dumb questions he gets. Actually, if he did a mailbag just on the stupid questions, I would enjoy reading them. Back on topic, I like most of Sheldon's stuff keeping in mind that he isn't going to go off on an in-depth rant about the value of OBP or VORP because the average fan doesn't get that.
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 10-26-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Sheldon's not new anymore either. He been the Reds "guy" now for a year. I think he does a good job; Castrovince did a good job too.

And, I agree that he has to tune his articles to the casual fan... I think he picks the ones whose "brainstorms" need the most straightening out.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

marty&joe

Okay, "newest" I should have said..... and as far as the questions from fans not being the greatest, that's all due to the selection of the writer... another reason why he's not exactly my favorite... As ED44 said, he chose to address the question of moving Hatte to LF and Dunn to 1B for defensive purposes .... come on

Did Mark Sheldon used to be the writer for the Yankees mailbag? The name rings a bell.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

me thinks the Twins was his stop before us, or is that were Castrovince went?

I think I remember Castrovince going to Cleveland maybe.

marty&joe

Yeah, Castrovince went to Cleveland. If memory serves right, Castrovince was originally from the Cleveland area, so he just headed back to the home team.

We should get Alyson Footer, she's from Dayton and better to look at.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?