Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zumaya-gate

Zumaya-gate

Came across this on espn.com it's part of the insider thing and I don't know the rules about copy and pasting that onto here so I won't ,but it's pretty interesting. I guess the Cardinals had their scoreboard operators make Zumaya's pitch speed about 5-7 mph lower than what it really was when they showed it on the scoreboard. Sounds like the ol' baseball genius at his finest again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zumaya-gate

if true, that is really funny. It should break pitchers of wanting to look at their pitch speed displayed on the scoreboard.

I had the same feeling when listening to the game. Some of his pitches were only being clocked a 94 MPH. That is a Zumaya changeup!

Miller even had the same idea and said the TV radar had much faster speed. It seems pretty underhanded to me. Miller said Zumaya was overthrowing to get to 100 MPH and it cost him control.

I've been thinking that the FOX guns were on steroids throughout the postseason. But I'm sure there is no correlation between arm injuries and watching radar guns. They need to get rid of those things in the ballparks and on the tv screens.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    They need to get rid of those things in the ballparks and on the tv screens.
    Especially if they're going to mess with the accuracy of the readings.

Gammons was just on with Dan Patrick and says it happens more often than you'd think.

He specifically said that Boston would do it to Jose Contreras to try to get in his head.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    if true, that is really funny. It should break pitchers of wanting to look at their pitch speed displayed on the scoreboard.
    That is funny; if they really wanted to mess with their heads, they should increase the mph of the off speed stuff, and decrease the mph of the fastball, to show not much difference in changing speeds, which of course, is how most MLB hitters are gotten out in the first place.

That'd be one confused pitcher out there. The smart ones never turn around and look at the board.
    sorry we're boring

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Home field advantage...

They used to turn off the guns in Shea when Benitez was pitching for the Mets. He would get whiplash after every pitch.

Just randomly generate a two-digit number after each pitch.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

When Cincy pitchers come to town they probably add 4-5 mph hoping the Reds pitchers will challenge Albert Pujols among others.

People are trying WAY too hard to create storylines in this World Series.

I think it's funny. Gamesmanship.

Bud will probably order the radar gun be calibrated by an independent 3rd party and then sealed. Take all the fun out of it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think it's funny. Gamesmanship.
    This is one of the better ones of recent memory.

If you really wanted to mess with the pitcher, just replace the scoreboard radar gun with a classic game of Pong.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?