Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs. Falcons

Bengals vs. Falcons

This is the first game this year I do not expect the Bengals to win. If you look at what the teams have done to put together 4-2 records thus far, their rankings are very similar. Both teams are dependent on capitalizing on turnovers and have decent but not great defenses so far. The Falcons D was lit up last week by Pittsburgh, so that might give us a ray of hope, but I'm not sure if our O is ready for a shootout at this point in the season. Both D's rank higher in points allowed than yardage allowed, probably as a function of the reliance on turnovers.

With all that said, I am pessimistic because of The Falcons' strengths--a scrambling QB and #1 rushing team in the NFL. Talk about the two biggest problems that the Bengals D has had over the last two years. If the rookie from TB and Charlie Fry can give the D fits with scrambles, it is scary to think of what Vick will be able to do with his feet this week. And we all should have fresh visions of Maroney stiff arming and dancing his way just a few weeks ago. Now, the top rushing team in the league comes to town. Yikes.

In the end, it might be the offense's turn to win a game in a situation where the D does not match up well with the opposing offense. Activate Chris Henry and use him before he inevitably ends up in court again, fire up the passing game, and see what happens. Oh, and Rudi, try bouncing outside every once in a while!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals vs. Falcons

According to this article the Bengals have been using Reggie McNeal at QB to help prepare the defense for the Falcons game.

Notes: Vintage Vick and Classic Chad
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    October 26, 2006

The Bengals can turn to their backup quarterbacks to get some advice on trying to contain the greatest running quarterback in history in Atlanta’s Michael Vick.

Rookie wide receiver Reggie McNeal, the Bengals’ third quarterback the past few weeks and former Texas A&M quarterback , is playing the role of Vick in practice. And Doug Johnson backed up Vick his first three seasons.

“Reggie McNeal is simulating him right now and he’s challenging us on the scrambles and challenging us on the edge with the boots,” said defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan. “You have to play the run first because they’re averaging 222 yards per game in the run game, and then control the passing game and control him scrambling and on design plays to get him his runs. It’s dangerous to say make him throw. You’ve got to play your entire game.”

Full Story: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5621

For a Level Playing Field

Perhaps Vick will get "the Trent Green" early in the game and it will all be a moot point?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    With all that said, I am pessimistic because of The Falcons' strengths--a scrambling QB and #1 rushing team in the NFL. Talk about the two biggest problems that the Bengals D has had over the last two years. If the rookie from TB and Charlie Fry can give the D fits with scrambles, it is scary to think of what Vick will be able to do with his feet this week. And we all should have fresh visions of Maroney stiff arming and dancing his way just a few weeks ago. Now, the top rushing team in the league comes to town. Yikes.
    The biggest difference is that the Bengals will gameplan to stop (better yet contain) Vick from scrambling. The two you mentioned above are not the threat to run so defenses do not gameplan to stop them from running.

Additionally Dexter Jackson makes a huge difference in the defenses ability to stop the run. He's a sound tackler who also has a lot of experience against the Falcons.

I'm looking forward to a good game. This will be my first trip to Paul Brown Stadium, a friend of mine is a big Falcons fan and scrounged up a couple of tickets, so it should be fun. That is, as long as I'm the one talking trash the whole 3 hour trip home!

Just to illustrate how long it's been and how things have changed since I saw the Bengals in person, the last time I went Paul Justin got the start at QB.

Chad Johnson is guaranteeing that he will score twice.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Robert Geathers -- 4 SACKS

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'm looking forward to a good game. This will be my first trip to Paul Brown Stadium, a friend of mine is a big Falcons fan and scrounged up a couple of tickets, so it should be fun. That is, as long as I'm the one talking trash the whole 3 hour trip home!

Just to illustrate how long it's been and how things have changed since I saw the Bengals in person, the last time I went Paul Justin got the start at QB.
    I can top that. Kenny Anderson was QB, Pete Johnson was RB, and the Bengals beat the Vikings 14-0 at Riverfront Stadium in the late 70s.

If the Bengals come out ready to play and be physical up front early, I really think this one could get ugly. Like 38-10 ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Perhaps Vick will get "the Trent Green" early in the game and it will all be a moot point?
    boo.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I can top that. Kenny Anderson was QB, Pete Johnson was RB, and the Bengals beat the Vikings 14-0 at Riverfront Stadium in the late 70s.
    At least Kenny Anderson was good!

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    If the Bengals come out ready to play and be physical up front early, I really think this one could get ugly. Like 38-10 ugly.
    I love your enthusiasm. That would be great after the last two nail biters. But if your giving 28 points, I would take that bet

I think the fact that the Falcons are coming off such an emotional win over Pittsburgh will work in the Bengals favor. Also, the Bengals have been slumping, even in the win last week, so you would think that they're ready for a bounce-back.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    boo.
    Hey... it happens to running QBs. Ask Trent Green who ran and did not get down soon enough. There is a good reason why Carson does not run as much this year. You run as a QB, you stand the chance of getting hurt. As Michael Vick has had happen before.

Anyhow... I like to think that Marvin Lewis has too good of a defensive mind to allow a Vick-type to burn them that bad. He'll get a good run or two, but will not cause a serious problem for the Bengals. The NFL is a passing game for QBs and not a running game. Good reason... defensive players are fast in the NFL. A running QB might work in college, but is not successful that often in the NFL. You must have the ability to throw accurately too. I predict 3 INTs for the Bengals defense this week b/c I question Vick's ability to throw accurately.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 10-27-2006 at 08:04 AM.

I had a very bad feeling about last week's game but am somewhat confident about this week. That should be the kiss of death.

Atlanta does not have a very good pass defense, 27th in the league in passing YPG. If Henry plays, I think that Carson & Co. will be able to move the ball through the air which should open things up for a nice second half for Rudi. The key is for the Bengals to start off well and play with the lead...make Vick throw the ball.

Turn Off Ads?