Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writers demand MLB not give St. Louis '09 All-Star game until Stadium is improved

Re: Writers demand MLB not give St. Louis '09 All-Star game until Stadium is improved

The stadiums all look alike and iirc they were all designed by HOK. Many minor laugue parks have been designed by HOK. It's amazing the amount of Orwellian thinking that occurs between baseball clubs. In another 5 years, we'll all miss the cookie cutter stadiums cause at least they'd look and feel a little different than what is built now.

i think it would be cool if one team would build a stadium with the a top deck that would over look the bottom in a a big way-the kind where they have poles that may block some vision on the bottom level, but allow the upper level folks to be 50 -60 feet closer to the action than a comparable seat in an HOK stadium.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Writers demand MLB not give St. Louis '09 All-Star game until Stadium is improved

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I really like its simplicity. It may be the byproduct of cheapness, but it worked out alright. Plus, I'm one of, like, 8 people who likes that the park faces the river/hills of Kentucky.
    I love GABP.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I really like its simplicity. It may be the byproduct of cheapness, but it worked out alright. Plus, I'm one of, like, 8 people who likes that the park faces the river/hills of Kentucky.

I think most of the new parks (Houston, St. Louis, Arizona) are ugly as sin. In an attempt to capture a retro look, they ended up building 300 million dollar Bennigans.
    I agree 100%. Count me as one of the GABP 8.

I think some of the new parks really do look contrived. Houston especially.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

In an attempt to capture a retro look, they ended up building 300 million dollar Bennigans.
    mmm..sampler

I think most of the new parks (Houston, St. Louis, Arizona) are ugly as sin. In an attempt to capture a retro look, they ended up building 300 million dollar Bennigans.
    I've not be to any of the other parks but I really do like GABP. It does have that sense of simplicity but it's somehow got charicter.

And I'm in your "gang of 8" FCB because I like the view of the river and hills also. Much better than facing a bunch of buildings, IMO.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

GABP Press Box is open but I believe heat and A/C are available. I had heard that there was a retractable window but every time I have been in that area there has been really good weather.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    GABP Press Box is open but I believe heat and A/C are available. I had heard that there was a retractable window but every time I have been in that area there has been really good weather.
    You are correct TC about the retractable window. I've seen them shut it.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I'm in that group of 8 also.

Outside of the smoke-stacks (good idea, poorly implimented) and the batters eye, I love GABP. I'm there to watch a baseball game and it allows me to do that no matter where I sit. The sight-lines are wonderful and it doesn't seem gimmicky.

Hopefully the new paint job will help the batters eye.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I agree that GABP has great sight lines i have been to around 25 to 30 games there and have yet to had a bad seat. I just wish that when the Reds designed/built the staduim their main concern wasnt coming in under budget. Its a nice park but it could have been so much nicer IMO. The hall of fame does add a bit to it, but over all I was just dissappointed in it
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/30/cit....ap/index.html ....busch stadium does not deserve the all star game.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Count me in also in the group of 8 that love GABP!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I love it very much too, even though it had to grow on me a bit. In most places it feels like the most wide-open stadium in the world. Nothing but baseball and sky.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I think GABO would get a better rep if it wasn't surrounded by an arena from the 1970's, an 8 lane highway and a big ditch of nothing.

It's all about the neighborhood.
    Go Gators!

The 2008 All Star game has been awarded to the Yankee's and the 2009 goes to the Redbirds according to ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The 2008 All Star game has been awarded to the Yankee's
    I'm so happy about this, and I think it's appropriate given last year and all that. Pricing on my soul begins immediately.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?