Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds zero in on new pitching coach

Reds zero in on new pitching coach

Give me Hickey first, Wallace second.

Reds zero in on new pitching coach
    Former Red Sox, Astros coaches among candidates

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds might have a new pitching coach in place by the middle of next week.

"We hope to," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

The club has interviewed three outside and two internal candidates. They are:

Dave Wallace, the outgoing Boston Red Sox pitching coach. Wallace had held the Boston job since 2003 but was fired after the season. He missed half of this season after developing an infection in his hip that required surgery. Wallace, 59, was on the staff when Narron was the Sox's bench coach.

Dick Pole, who was Dusty Baker's bench coach this season for the Chicago Cubs. Pole is a former big-league pitcher and coached for five different teams in the majors, mostly as pitching coach. Pole, 56, pitched for six years in the majors.

Jim Hickey, the outgoing Houston Astros pitching coach. Hickey took over on an interim basis July 14, 2004, and served as the club pitching coach in 2005 and 2006. He was fired after this season, despite the fact that the Astros finished second in the National League in ERA at 4.05. Earlier, he was pitching coach for Triple-A New Orleans, which won the International League ERA title his final two seasons.

Ted Power, the former Red who served last year as the pitching coach at Triple-A Louisville. Power, 51, was hired as the minor-league rehab coordinator but was moved to Louisville after Lee Tunnell went from Louisville's pitching coach to interim bullpen coach for the Reds.

Mike LaCoss, another former Red, is currently a roving instructor in the organization's minor leagues. LaCoss, 50, also served as a scout for the Reds.

"They were all outstanding," Narron said.

The pitching coach job opened when Vern Ruhle was re-assigned to a minor-league job. Ruhle missed virtually all of last season undergoing treatment for cancer. Tom Hume served as interim pitching coach but returns to his role as bullpen coach.

The Reds also have an opening for a hitting coach to replace Chris Chambliss, who was fired.

Narron confirmed the club has interviewed Butch Wynegar. Wynegar, 50, was fired as Milwaukee's hitting coach.

"He's very solid," Narron said. "He did a good job in Milwaukee. He's very good on mechanics."

Narron said the focus has been on getting a pitching coach hired, so the decision on a hitting coach could come later.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...610280388/1071
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds zero in on new pitching coach

Nothing like having fired coaches as options.

But of the lot I'd go with Hickey.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

What's former M's pitching coach Bryan Price up to these days?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Maybe Wallace could bring a scoop of dirt in a jar from Fenway that Arroyo could put on his mantle to help his achy breaky heart from pining so bad for Boston.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I'd go with Wallace as my first choice and Hickey as my second.

Power got an interview? Geez. Why not interview Soto? Soto is way better than Ted.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'm gonna guess the job will go to the one who has the most "good ole boy" in him. Just a guess....nothing to base it on except to say they'll let Narron pick the guy he's most comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Nothing like having fired coaches as options.

But of the lot I'd go with Hickey.
    Yeh I kinda agree with you on that one. But you have to look at a guy like Dick Pole who'se been hired by 5 different teams. He must be a pretty good coach for that many teams to hire him.But I guess on the other hand 5 teams have fired him too.
    I'd take Wallace if he'd come aboard.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    Dick Pole

I would be angry with my parents....

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I'm gonna guess the job will go to the one who has the most "good ole boy" in him. Just a guess....nothing to base it on except to say they'll let Narron pick the guy he's most comfortable with.
    It might be a "guess" but, IMO, an exceedingly EDUCATED guess.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    FCB... I might be wrong but the saying goes something like "Like Minds, Like Kinds..." Correct me on this if I am wrong.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Why did Houston fire Hickey? He seems to have an excellent track record.

I'd love to see either him or Wallace (even if I do mostly think of him as a Dodger). Getting someone in who has a first-rate track record would say a lot, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Power of tradition.
    Go Gators!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Power of tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I would be angry with my parents....
    He probably is lol.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Wallace or Hickey would be fine additions.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?