Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ok the ws is over,when do the trades start

ok the ws is over,when do the trades start

or do we wait for the december meetings?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: ok the ws is over,when do the trades start

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Most likely, the longer they wait, the better deals they could get.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    We wait till the Yankees dictate the going rate. Or something.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

We wait until the Yankees and Mets sign all the good players and then we take the left overs.

I think the GM meetings are held first in early November.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

The GM meetings are held in Dec. from the 4th to the 6th.More than likely thats when the good trades start happening.You could probbaly see a couple smaller trades before than but probably nothing major.

November 13-17 are the GM Meetings. In december is the winter meetings. The winter meetings tend to be when alot of big stuff gets done.

I don't know the specific rules by heart, but IIRC we have 15 days of guys declaring for free agency. During that time only their current teams can negotiate. Trading without waivers can occur as soon as today I think. I would suspect that only small deals will happen until after free agency starts and teams size up whether or not they have legit chances at guys they may be targeting. Until then it will probably be small deals. That's ok by me, because I think small deals are the better route right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    We wait until the Yankees and Mets sign all the good players and then we take the left overs.
    Right...and we see what there string of good player hoarding has done for their franchises. Love the rings they've won in the last 5 years...they look a lot like the rings the Royals, Devil Rays and Reds are wearing.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Sorry guys guys i thought the GM meetings were in Dec.,but Im glad to here things may get started a little earlier than I thought.

How u doin

when does free agency start

Potential free agents have to file by midnight on the 11th of November. The filing clock was set in motion by the end of the World Series (I believe it is two weeks; I saw 11 November quoted as the date for this year).

Also the 12th of November is the first date free agents can negociate (and sign) with teams other than the team they just declared free agency from (often referred to as their "old team" in the media).

Despite rumors to the contrary before it was announced, the new CBA preserved the draft choice compensation for teams losing rated free agents.

A major change the new CBA made in free agency is that it removed the deadline for re-signing with the old team. This deadline was (approximately)the end of the 1st week in December and could be extended a month by offering the guy arbitration. After the dealine guys could not re-sign with their old team unitl 1 May. Now that prohibition is gone. They can sign with their old team at any time.

There was another change that will eventually come into play with trading. The rule saying that a vested veteran (6 years or more MLB service) on a long term contract could demand a trade or free agency one season after being traded during the LTC has been dropped. However the provison will remain in effect for eligible contracts that were already in existence; so it is likely to be a couple of years before this change has a major impact. I suspect the immediate impact will be that more guys will be wanting limited or total no trade clauses (or more money) when they negociate their deals as Free agents or potential free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Right...and we see what there string of good player hoarding has done for their franchises.
    Mets, I agree. Yankees, the last time they didn't make the playoffs was 1993and in the years since they last won the World Series (2001-06) they're averaging 99 wins per season, so recent bad luck in the playoffs aside I'd say it's working for them.

I think the Reds start making moves early. I believe they will start with some trades and/or free agent pick ups around Thanksgiving.

Turn Off Ads?