Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade idea...

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Trade idea...

Ok, I never start these types of threads, but I have been searching for a team that would be a decent trading partner and I think I may have found one in Texas.

So here's my attempt at a slobberknocker:

Adam Dunn
    Homer Bailey
    Ryan Freel
    Jason LaRue

to Texas for

Michael Young
    Hank Blalock
    Joaquín Benoit

Why it helps the Reds:
    Will free the Reds of the whipping boy du jour and make Wayne look active which is what he needs from the fanbase. Yes, they would be letting the underappreciated Dunn go, but the players landed may be enough to make up for his lost run production.

-Young (SS) removes any issue with moving BP from 2B. I'm not sure how long Young is signed, but at 30, he would be a solid piece to the infield puzzle for 4 years. Plus, Young and his .850-ish OPS will be a significant upgrade over what the Reds trotted out there for the 2nd half of 2006.

-Blalock (3B) struggled in 2006, after struggling to match his brilliant 2004 season in 2005, but at 25 (soon to be 26), a change of scenery may be just what the doctor ordered for the youngster. What to do with Edwin you ask? Encarnacion can be moved to LF. I'm more in favor of making this trade for the ceiling of Blalock than I am for moving EE from 3B and I have no doubt that EE will be fine at 3B after a few more seasons, but if we can land Blaylock and he can get back to his 2004 form, I have no problem moving the athletic Encarnacion out to man Dunn's position. It will be an upgrade defensively.

-Benoit can move into the closer role or make a decent set-up guy if a FA closer can be acquired this off-season.

Texas lands two of their own in Dunn and Bailey. We are selling high on Homer and getting Dunn out of the NL where he can DH if need be and never do us any harm, by being in the AL. Much better than sending him "home" to a division rival, right? I would love to make this deal without Homer so I would offer Wood or Cueto first, but I think Homer would have to be included. Freel is nothing more than a throw-in and will free up some dough to make up for any payroll addition from the trade. LaRue is a salary dump, and gee another Texas boy (go figure) but I doubt Texas would want him and his money. We may need to eat a bit of his 2007 salary to get him home.

Ok, there is my first trade proposal.

Fire away. Be gentle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade idea...

No offense but the Reds get robbed in that deal.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Ok, I never start these types of threads, but I have been searching for a team that would be a decent trading partner and I think I may have found one in Texas.

So here's my attempt at a slobberknocker:

Adam Dunn
    Homer Bailey
    Ryan Freel
    Jason LaRue

to Texas for

Michael Young
    Hank Blalock
    Joaquín Benoit

Why it helps the Reds:
    Will free the Reds of the whipping boy du jour and make Wayne look active which is what he needs from the fanbase. Yes, they would be letting the underappreciated Dunn go, but the players landed may be enough to make up for his lost run production.

-Young (SS) removes any issue with moving BP from 2B. I'm not sure how long Young is signed, but at 30, he would be a solid piece to the infield puzzle for 4 years. Plus, Young and his .850-ish OPS will be a significant upgrade over what the Reds trotted out there for the 2nd half of 2006.

-Blalock (3B) struggled in 2006, after struggling to match his brilliant 2004 season in 2005, but at 25 (soon to be 26), a change of scenery may be just what the doctor ordered for the youngster. What to do with Edwin you ask? Encarnacion can be moved to LF. I'm more in favor of making this trade for the ceiling of Blalock than I am for moving EE from 3B and I have no doubt that EE will be fine at 3B after a few more seasons, but if we can land Blaylock and he can get back to his 2004 form, I have no problem moving the athletic Encarnacion out to man Dunn's position. It will be an upgrade defensively.

-Benoit can move into the closer role or make a decent set-up guy if a FA closer can be acquired this off-season.

Texas lands two of their own in Dunn and Bailey. We are selling high on Homer and getting Dunn out of the NL where he can DH if need be and never do us any harm, by being in the AL. Much better than sending him "home" to a division rival, right? I would love to make this deal without Homer so I would offer Wood or Cueto first, but I think Homer would have to be included. Freel is nothing more than a throw-in and will free up some dough to make up for any payroll addition from the trade. LaRue is a salary dump, and gee another Texas boy (go figure) but I doubt Texas would want him and his money. We may need to eat a bit of his 2007 salary to get him home.

Ok, there is my first trade proposal.

Fire away. Be gentle.
    3, since you included LaRue.

Trading Dunn and Bailey (as much as I think he'll be a bust) in the same deal and not getting back a starter that either compliments Arroyo and Harang or is better than either of those two is criminal.

I like Young, don't get me wrong, we'd have a great DP combo of Young and Phillips, but Young is the big offensive piece back in that deal to replace Adam Dunn.

As for Blalock, he'd be a nice piece to have, but we have EE at 3B, so unless we're moving one of them to 1B, this doesn't fit our team. Moving EE to LF is probably one of the more amusing suggestions I've read lately concerning the 2007 Reds.

Unless Benoit closes for us after this deal, you're seriously selling a Dunn/Bailey combo deal ridiculously short. Essentially it would be an everyday SS, another everyday position player (3B or 1B) and a middle reliever unless Benoit closes for our everyday LF, one of the top rated SP prospects in all of baseball, our super utility man, and a salary dump catcher.

I guess Adam Dunn has worn out his welcome as well as his value in this town if this is the kind of deal we'd hope to get for him.....

Take Bailey out of the deal.

Would you deal Dunn for Michael Young?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I said be gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Moving EE to LF is probably one of the more amusing suggestions I've read lately concerning the 2007 Reds.
    Moving him to 1B is completely acceptable, but LF is amusing?

Umm, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Take Bailey out of the deal.

Would you deal Dunn for Michael Young?
    No. But I would deal Dunn, Freel, and Larue for Blalock and Young.

I would like to keep Homer as well, but I'm not opposed to trading him while his stock is high, for a known commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Would you deal Dunn for (fill in the blank)?

Let me guess, you're in favor of trading Dunn?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

I said be gentle.

Moving him to 1B is completely acceptable, but LF is amusing?

Umm, ok.
    I was gentle!

I have no doubt EE has the athleticism to play LF, but I think he'd be better defensively at 1B.

LF is Griffey's spot, provided we don't trade Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I was gentle!

I have no doubt EE has the athleticism to play LF, but I think he'd be better defensively at 1B.

LF is Griffey's spot, provided we don't trade Adam Dunn.
    Thanks for taking it easy on me.

You are still assuming the braintrust will have the cajones to tell Jr. he cannot play CF any longer.

Thanks for taking it easy on me.

You are still assuming the braintrust will have the cajones to tell Jr. he cannot play CF any longer.
    I'm hoping Ken Griffey Sr can help let his son know that CF is no longer a viable option.

I don't think Krivsky has the cojones to tell Jr he's no longer the everyday CF and needs to start getting used to the view from LF. I'm wondering, however, if we might see the new owner go straight to Jr and let him know his new position.

I would love Cast forever if he did that.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let me guess, you're in favor of trading Dunn?
    Dunn is my new whipping boy this offseason.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Adam Dunn, Rheal Cormier and Javon Moran for Brad Wilkerson and Hank Blalock is a rumor I have heard.

Here's mine:

Adam Dunn and Rheal Cormier for Morgan Ensberg, Adam Everett, and Dan Wheeler (or Lidge or Qualls).

Ensberg improves the defense at third (moving Edwin to first) and replaces a big chunk of Dunn's lost power and patience.

Moving Dunn enables us to shift Griffey to left, which dramatically improves the outfield defense and likely will keep Griffey healthier.

Adam Everett gives the best defensive shortstop in baseball and enables us to keep Phillips at second, where they'll form one of the best DP combos in baseball.

And, we get a top notch setup/closer to bolster the bullpen.

The Astros get a 26 year old hometown slugger for below market value and a solid, groundball lefty for the bullpen. And, I think Dunn would be more than happy to sign a multiyear deal to stay in Houston. And, Dunn would likely be a more attractive option than Carlos Lee or Gary Sheffield, in whom the Astros are rumored to be interested.

I think it's win/win.
    Last edited by 11BarryLarkin11; 10-29-2006 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11BarryLarkin11 View Post
    Here's mine:

Adam Dunn and Rheal Cormier for Morgan Ensberg, Adam Everett, and Dan Wheeler (or Lidge or Qualls).

Ensberg improves the defense at third (moving Edwin to first) and replaces a big chunk of Dunn's lost power and patience.

Moving Dunn enables us to shift Griffey to left, which dramatically improves the outfield defense and likely will keep Griffey healthier.

Adam Everett gives the best defensive shortstop in baseball and enables us to keep Phillips at second, where they'll form one of the best DP combos in baseball.

And, we get a top notch setup/closer to bolster the bullpen.

The Astros get a 26 year old hometown slugger for below market value and a solid, groundball lefty for the bullpen. And, I think Dunn would be more than happy to sign a multiyear deal to stay in Houston. And, Dunn would likely be a more attractive option than Carlos Lee or Gary Sheffield, in whom the Astros are rumored to be interested.

I think it's win/win.
    Except for the fact Dunn stays within the division. There's nothing in a winning equation about that.

We don't have to move Dunn to open a spot in LF for Griffey. That's very flawed logic, IMO. Dunn can easily play 1B, and was slated to do so in ST before we picked up Hatteberg. Hatteberg's a dish best served as a LHB off the bench.

Turn Off Ads?