ELISABETH'S 'SVU' HASSLE
By DON KAPLAN

October 25, 2006 -- YAPPY "View" co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck is up in arms over an episode of "Law & Order: SVU" where a character named Elizabeth Hassenback is raped and murdered.

She says she believes the character was meant to be her.

On yesterday's edition of "The View," she described a phone call she placed to the crime show's executive pro ducer, Neal Baer, and claimed he hung up on her after she complained to him.

"I said, 'Look, I think it's socially irresponsible to do this. . . I know what you did, that's essentially my name."

Baer told her to "chalk it up to coincidence." But Has selbeck says she pressed him, pointing out that "Law & Order" prides itself on its "rip ped from the headlines" stories. "Your show is so not based on coincidence and it pulls things from the headlines."

Baer then apologized and said he was sorry the show had hurt her feelings. Hasselbeck says she snapped back, "You don't sound sorry, it's not about feelings. . . and I want you to know I think it's socially irresponsible and I want to have you hear it from me before I vent on 'The View.' "

Hasselbeck said she told Baer she likes the actors on the show and thinks they're good people, "But I can't sit next to them [when they are 'View' guests] without feeling I'm being disrespected."

She claims after that, Baer sniped back, "You know what? I don't feel I have to deal with you. Goodbye lady." Then he hung up on her.

"I hate it when they say 'lady," Hasselbeck sniffed.

Baer declined to comment yesterday, but a spokesperson for "Law & Order: SVU" said the series' producers always look forward to having the show's actors appear on "The View."

A production source said that all character names on every edition of "Law & Order" are thoroughly vetted by the pro duction's legal department prior to appearing on the shows and there had been no intention to name one after Hassel beck.

On the "SVU" episode, a serial rapist/killer repeatedly attacks the same women when they are ovulating in an attempt to impregnate them.