Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which Catchers belong in the RedsZone Hall of Fame?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roger Bresnahan

10 20.41%
  • Smoky Burgess

10 20.41%
  • Buck Ewing

11 22.45%
  • Bill Freehan

5 10.20%
  • Josh Gibson

42 85.71%
  • Gabby Hartnett

27 55.10%
  • Elston Howard

9 18.37%
  • Sherm Lollar

3 6.12%
  • Al Lopez

4 8.16%
  • Biz Mackey

4 8.16%
  • Deacon McGuire

3 6.12%
  • Thurman Munson

16 32.65%
  • Lance Parrish

3 6.12%
  • Bruce Petway

1 2.04%
  • Double Duty Radcliff

4 8.16%
  • Louis Santop

5 10.20%
  • Ray Schalk

8 16.33%
  • Wally Schang

3 6.12%
  • Ted Simmons

15 30.61%
  • Joe Torre

18 36.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: RedsZone Hall of Fame, Version 2006-07 - Catchers

RedsZone Hall of Fame, Version 2006-07 - Catchers

Last offseason, we kicked off a fun offseason project to build the RedsZone Hall of Fame, which is Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame as it would be shaped by RedsZone posters. Now that we're into another offseason, we'll continue the RedsZone Hall of Fame with another series of polls and continue to add among the players already elected.

Newly eligible players on the 2007 BBWAA Hall of Fame ballot may also be included in this season's polls, meaning guys such as Cal Ripken, Jr., Tony Gwynn, and Mark McGwire will be among this year's polls. Players who received less than five percent of support last season will be dropped from this season's ballots, and finally, Negro League players will be among the players listed on each ballot.

Players from earlier eras may be lesser known among some RedsZone voters, but in the efforts of encouraging everybody to vote while also maintaining a somewhat level playing field for all eligible candidates, we've instituted a tier system for support needed to gain election ...
    • Negro Leaguers: Need 3/8 support
    • 19th century (i.e. pre 1903): Need 2/5 support
    • Early Modern (roughly 1903-1945): Need 1/2 support
    • Integration (roughly 1945-1970): Need 5/8 support
    • Post Integration (roughly 1970-present): Need 2/3 support

Previously Elected Catchers: Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Gary Carter, Mickey Cochrane, Bill Dickey, Carlton Fisk, & Ernie Lombardi

Dropped From Ballot: Bob Boone, Walker Cooper, Del Crandall, Darren Daulton, Duke Farrell, Rick Ferrell, Tom Haller, Johnny Kling, Tim McCarver, Bob O'Farrell, Tony Pena, Darrell Porter, Johnny Roseboro, Manny Sanguillen, Mike Scioscia, Terry Steinbach, Jim Sundberg, Gene Tenace, & Mickey Tettleton

Vote for all CATCHERS you believe should be in the Hall of Fame. This is a multiple-choice poll so you're allowed to vote for more than one player.

For reference purposes: Major League Baseball Hall of Fame Catchers

The charts below are win shares data for all candidates. In order from left to right, the columns are career win shares, five-year peak win shares, win shares per 162 games, win shares during a player's top season and the predominant era each player played in (for purposes of the tier voting system). Happy voting!
    Code:

Player               Career WS   Peak WS  WS per 162  Top Season        Era
    Roger Bresnahan        231        116       25.88         29       Early Modern to WWII
    Smoky Burgess          172         71       16.48         19       Integration
    Buck Ewing             241         98       29.69         27       19th Century
    Bill Freehan           267        126       24.38         35       Post Integration
    Josh Gibson            --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Gabby Hartnett         325        114       26.46         29       Early Modern to WWII
    Elston Howard          203        119       20.49         32       Integration
    Sherm Lollar           209         97       19.33         23       Integration
    Al Lopez               173         62       14.37         16       Early Modern to WWII
    Biz Mackey             --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Deacon McGuire         189         65       17.19         17       19th Century
    Thurman Munson         206        111       23.45         26       Post Integration
    Lance Parrish          248        102       20.21         24       Post Integration
    Bruce Petway           --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Double Duty Radcliff   --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Louis Santop           --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Ray Schalk             191         84       17.58         21       Early Modern to WWII
    Wally Schang           245         77       21.57         20       Early Modern to WWII
    Ted Simmons            315        127       20.78         30       Post Integration
    Joe Torre              315        126       23.10         41       Integration
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RedsZone Hall of Fame, Version 2006-07 - Catchers

Josh Gibson is possibly the greatest catcher ever, maybe only bettered by Johnny Bench. How did he miss the first time around?

Negro Leaguers were not on the ballots last season. Some of last year's polls had well over 50 players on them, and the high quantity of players probably made them a bit intimidating to vote as it was. The original intention was to create a separate Negro League poll, but then I realized it would likely only get a handful of votes.

By including the Negro League stars in this year's polls with a smaller number of MLB players, it encourages more people to vote on them and discuss them.

FWIW, the Negro League catchers I voted for were Josh Gibson, Biz Mackey and Louis Santop.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Hopefully Hartnett gets in after last year's oversight. I don't think Torre gets his fair due as a player either. Combine it with what he's done as a manager and he should be a HOF lock. I'd hate to see a guy like Torre get Buck O'Neiled.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Gabby got my vote. He should be in.

I voted for Gibson, Torre, Hartnett, Ewing and Simmons.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

No Eddie Taubanessee or Joe Oliver? Psh...
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I didn't vote for Lance Parrish but I love the nickname "Big Wheel"
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I voted for Gibson, Torre, Hartnett, Ewing and Munson. Munson was struck down at age 32, he was already a 7 time all-star at that point and had been a part of 3 World Series teams. A career .292 hitter .346 OBP but a pedestrian .410 slg %. He was too me sorta like a Jason Varitek w/o as much power. He has a career fielding % of .982 which is 3 pts higher than that of already inducted Lombardi.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I really enjoyed this last year, and I'm looking forward to it this year!

I voted for:

Bresnahan, Ewing, Freehan, Gibson, Hartnett, Howard, Munson, Simmons, and Torre.

I think that Gibson and Hartnett are locks (Gabby should have made it last year), and Torre is also (if you combine his on-field play with his managerial performance).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Many thanks for this, Cyclone.
    Last year, I did not play, as I was plotting to go to Cincy and steal all of Dan0's binders at this time.
    I cast votes for Bresnahan, Gibson, Hartnett, Munson and Simmons - but there were some I was so on the bubble for. For instance, both Torre and Lopez could have gotten votes here, or as a manager. And I have always been such a Bill Freehan fan.

This ballot is closed, and two more catchers have been elected this season. Josh Gibson blew the doors down with 85.71 percent of the vote, and Gabby Hartnett gets elected on his second try with 55.10 percent of the vote.

This brings the total number of catchers elected to the RedsZone Hall of Fame to 10:
    Code:
    Catchers (10)

Johnny Bench   
    Yogi Berra
    Roy Campanella       
    Gary Carter          
    Mickey Cochrane       
    Bill Dickey           
    Carlton Fisk
    Josh Gibson
    Gabby Hartnett          
    Ernie Lombardi
    The First Basemen Poll is still open for another three days, and the second basemen poll is not too far behind.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Turn Off Ads?