Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timetable on Votto, Bruce?

Re: Timetable on Votto, Bruce?

I just hope they are wearing Red in a couple of years and not some other colors. To improve this team (quickly) you must either trade or sign free agents. I don't see a lot of free agents signed so our biggest chips might be sent away. Let's hope not.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

if the reds are out of contention and can move hatteberg i could see votto up in 2007. jay bruce is a interesting prospect. everything points that he could blow up and be a red by 2008 or we could never see him before 2010. things are coming together for him to easy. i just hope he doesn't change his work ethic that he has used. see brandon larson!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    I don't see why the Reds can't move Bruce along faster. If he doesn't have any glaring holes in his game then why keep the man down. I'm all for Starting him in AA to challenge him. Can't wait to see him with the big club.
    WK's philosophy is to push players but on a level to level basis. Look at how Bailey was handled this year. I think that's the Reds future. Get them here, but through a standard development level. I think the team will be the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    WK's philosophy is to push players but on a level to level basis. Look at how Bailey was handled this year. I think that's the Reds future. Get them here, but through a standard development level. I think the team will be the better for it.
    Not sure you can project the handling of a 20 year old pitcher who is still building up to his major league inning load to a position player. You may be right about the handling of pitchers and that's good. Protecting their health has to be a priority. Position players should be pushed IMO.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Even for position players, I'm in favor of the "touch each level" approach. I'm not saying they have to stay there very long, mind you. Let the performance dictate the timetable. If Jay Bruce is too good for the FSL, he'll demonstrate it quickly enough.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I just hope that we see Bruce, Votto and Stubbs up at the ML level sometime soon, because WK is thinning out our offense by the day!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

The way Votto's development has gone year by year, I expect him to spend the full 2007 in AAA, and possibly 2008 for an ETA.
    Bruce is really too early to call but he might hit High A and AA if he has a good year in 2007. Then in 2008 I would start him in AA. If he forces the issue through above expected performance, bring him up at the end of 2008 or beginning of 2009.

Turn Off Ads?