Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timetable on Votto, Bruce?

Timetable on Votto, Bruce?

I apologize if this topic should be in the minor league forum, but since it pertains hypothetically to the Reds big club, I thought I'd post it here.

Although conventional wisdom has Bailey at GABP sometime in '07, I've been wondering lately what Wayne's long-ish term plans for the Reds offense might be. I'm assuming that both these guys have to be there as centerpieces in the next two years:

Votto: The Pickin' Machine is just a stopgap, albeit one whom I have grown to love in a Reds uniform. He is signed through next season, though. My best guess is that Joey starts the season in AAA unless he absolutely tears the cover off in ST. Hatte opens with the big club and hangs around until the team is out of contention. Barring some unexpected pennant run, Votto then makes his appearance somewhere around midseason. My guess is they'd want to give him more than a September cup of joe so that they can see what they've got.

Bruce: Seems to me that Bruce will start in AA and be one of our first options in the event of a major injury or a trade. If there is a deal during the offseason (Griffey or, more likely, Dunn), then I think the gears start to get put into faster motion for Jay's appearance in Cincy. By all accounts I've read, he is far closer to ML ready than anyone expected, and he doesn't have much to prove in the minors anymore. Already a far better fielder than either Dunn or Griffey and surprising power for his age--kind of like the hitting version of Homer.

Anyway, what do you all think? It's good to be back here posting again.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Timetable on Votto, Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Bruce: Seems to me that Bruce will start in AA and be one of our first options in the event of a major injury or a trade. If there is a deal during the offseason (Griffey or, more likely, Dunn), then I think the gears start to get put into faster motion for Jay's appearance in Cincy. By all accounts I've read, he is far closer to ML ready than anyone expected, and he doesn't have much to prove in the minors anymore. Already a far better fielder than either Dunn or Griffey and surprising power for his age--kind of like the hitting version of Homer.
    I disagree for the reason that Bruce has never played above low A ball. Yep, he put up great numbers, but I think he'd have to repeat that again in a combination of Sarasota and Chattanooga to be considered ready (mostly in AA). I doubt the FO starts him off in Chattanooga; I guess there's a chance, but they've said repeatedly they don't like players skipping levels. Most likely, I think he may get his first shot in 2008. It's great to have an OF of his caliber in the system though.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    I disagree for the reason that Bruce has never played above low A ball. Yep, he put up great numbers, but I think he'd have to repeat that again in a combination of Sarasota and Chattanooga to be considered ready (mostly in AA). I doubt the FO starts him off in Chattanooga; I guess there's a chance, but they've said repeatedly they don't like players skipping levels. Most likely, I think he may get his first shot in 2008. It's great to have an OF of his caliber in the system though.
    My thoughts exactly. He's on schedule to take over for Griffey either in mid to late 2008 or 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Agreed. He should start the season in Sarasota. Depending on how he does there he could be in Chattanooga as early as June/July. I don't see him moving beyond AA this year though.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay has said in this offseason that his goal is to start next season in AA.

Jay has said in this offseason that his goal is to start next season in AA.
    Not gonna happen. They've been very delibrate about not skipping levels and the difference between low A ball and AA is pretty substantial. He'll go to Sarasota and if he cleans up there he'll end up with the Lookouts in July. That would be a great season for Bruce.

I wonder if Bruce is going to end up in center. I suspect he's bound for a corner.

They have said that, but every case is different. If he goes into ST and absolutely kills the ball, it wouldnt surprise me. As for position, he projects as a corner guy because of the growth he is expected to see over the next few years.

I think Bruce is Cincinnati bound for 2008 unless he tears up the minors the same way that Dunn did. If so then I think we could see him as early as Augusts if an outfielder gets hurt.

Votto, could be up by june in my opinion and then platoon at first with Hatteburgh. If the Reds do go ahead and trade Dunn in the off season then the Hatte/Votto platoon seems very realistic.

I doubt you see a platoon between Votto and Hatte, they both hit RHP and struggle against LHP. Both are lefties.

I don't see why the Reds can't move Bruce along faster. If he doesn't have any glaring holes in his game then why keep the man down. I'm all for Starting him in AA to challenge him. Can't wait to see him with the big club.

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    I don't see why the Reds can't move Bruce along faster. If he doesn't have any glaring holes in his game then why keep the man down. I'm all for Starting him in AA to challenge him. Can't wait to see him with the big club.
    I would like nothing more that to see him be sucessfull in AA too. However too big a challenge could become a big setback. Let him prove himself at each level first. I'm sure the Reds wont let him sit too long at any one level as long as he's doing well.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Votto is real close, Bruce probably 2 years away. I would give him a full year in the FSL and then let him set the pace in 2008 with AA.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'd start him in Sarasota. "Challenge thy hitters?" Sure. But it's my opinion that the jump from Dayton to Sarasota is the single biggest jump a hitter in our system faces. Next to the one that lands him in Cincinnati, I mean. The competition in High-A is significantly better and the FSL is a pitcher's league. If Bruce seriously rakes there, I'd have no problem with a quick bump up to Chattanooga, and from there who knows?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Who knows maybe Bruce will pull an Adam Dunn like rise through the system next year...

You can't really put a time table on a guy like him, he'll hit his way to the majors in due time

Votto is likely to be better in 2007 at the major league level than the Reds other options. However, I have little doubt that he will start the season in the minors.

For Bruce it all depends on how he plays in the minors.

Turn Off Ads?