Turn Off Ads?

Thread: World Series Ratings are Overrated

Professor of Cardinalogy

World Series Ratings are Overrated

As can be seen in this article:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...3?OpenDocument

the "lowest ratings ever" meme is one of those facts that makes for a fiction. The ratings are only down 9 percent from last year (a 10 rating rather than 11.1) and, as the network expert states in the article, this is largely due to the fact that the series didn't go to a 6th or 7th game. IOW, the 06' series, with these same two teams, might have equaled or exceeded last years ratings had the series gone the distance. Furthermore, as you'll also note in the article, this year's record low followed last year's record low. And it had a major media market involved with the White Sox in the series. These 'record lows'...from which so many pundits have drawn sweeping conclusions about the 'interest' in this series, are a function of the exponential increase in the number of TV options and not the lack of 'buzz' or the 'boring' nature of the series or the 'pedestrian' teams involved. D.GOOCH

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: World Series Ratings are Overrated

I can't remember a World Series that went this bad in my lifetime. It was a perfect storm of crap. I'm not surprised people stopped watching.

At least the Subway series had an attempted murder.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I can't remember a World Series that went this bad in my lifetime. It was a perfect storm of crap. I'm not surprised people stopped watching.

At least the Subway series had an attempted murder.
    This is the first World Series that I ever gave up on watching. Ditto for my dad.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Unfortunately, I think the media has been as much of a cause of this problem as anything. All they talk about is "nobody will care" and then give lip service to "oh, but we care". In fact, they treat the series like it's a second class event when it lacks the big market draws. They give us Ozzie Smith's son singing. Think they'd do that for a NYY/NYM series?

I didn't see any retrospectives on the teams respective histories. No talk about Kirk Gibson, Lou Wittaker, Hal Newhauser, or Hank Greenberg. Quite frankly, these are two of the more storied franchises in MLB history, and they got treated like second class citizens. In return, the fans treat the World Series is if didn't matter. I hate to play the respect card, but quite frankly, the whole "Only NY, Boston, & LA matter" thing is a product of the media, not a reflection of real attitudes. Where they could educate and build up other cities, instead they simply reinforce the notion that every where else is a "small market".
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

st. louis sucks....see link

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/30/cit....ap/index.html

thieves and crooks i tell ya
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The saddest part of this is the low ratings for a series between two midwestern teams will further justify the exposure that ESPN gives to the big coastal market teams.

Considering the teams' locations and the market sizes involved. Fox was probably glad this one only lasted 5 games. The sooner they got it off of their schedule, the better.

Maybe the next MLB national broadcast contract will feature a special ratings-protection rule? This would make MLB force the winner of the Central Division in each league and any wild card team from the Central to automatically play all of its playoff games on the road.

Ironically enough, this is the first World Series I have watched completely through. I guess it was the non-New York/Boston presence, and the fact that the Tigers and Cards (NL Central) were in it.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

I just couldn't get over a team that was only 4 games over .500 being in the world series. Of course, if that team was the Reds I'd have had no problem with it, but it wasn't.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If you just want ratings contract 28 teams.

Otherwise it's best to ignore them, in 50 years nobody is going to talk about "Well that was a good series, shame about the tv ratings"
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    If you just want ratings contract 28 teams.

Otherwise it's best to ignore them, in 50 years nobody is going to talk about "Well that was a good series, shame about the tv ratings"
    What ratings do affect is the money that each team gets from the national TV contract. Without that money, the payroll disparity between small-market teams and big-market teams widens dramatically. The national TV contract is the rising tide that floats all of the boats, including the one moored in Cincinnati.

You don't want to think about what would happen if MLB's playoffs and WS were to end up so low-rated that the only bidders for the next contract were cable networks. That would mean less money for the Reds. It's also the kind of turning-point that we could all point to in 50 years as the beginning of the end for competitive baseball in small markets.

First time I've never watched every game of the WS. I watched the first two games and that was it. Worst WS ever.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Unfortunately, I think the media has been as much of a cause of this problem as anything. All they talk about is "nobody will care" and then give lip service to "oh, but we care". In fact, they treat the series like it's a second class event when it lacks the big market draws. They give us Ozzie Smith's son singing. Think they'd do that for a NYY/NYM series?

I didn't see any retrospectives on the teams respective histories. No talk about Kirk Gibson, Lou Wittaker, Hal Newhauser, or Hank Greenberg. Quite frankly, these are two of the more storied franchises in MLB history, and they got treated like second class citizens. In return, the fans treat the World Series is if didn't matter. I hate to play the respect card, but quite frankly, the whole "Only NY, Boston, & LA matter" thing is a product of the media, not a reflection of real attitudes. Where they could educate and build up other cities, instead they simply reinforce the notion that every where else is a "small market".

Good points.

Even during the putrid Subway Series, I watched every game. I can't imagine not watching the world series. They had a chance to cite a lot of great history with those two teams. Of course, that doesn't play well in an ESPN highlight package with hip hop music and fast cuts.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Wish NBC still had baseball and the World Series.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?