Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McCarver and Pujols's "great baserunning"

Re: McCarver and Pujols's "great baserunning"

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    when it otherwise would not have been because there is a possibility of getting the out at home? And that it's "good baserunning" to get yourself caught that way?
    As a catcher for all of my baseball playing days, I have seen this a few times and it has influenced both me behind the plate and my baserunning.

Granted, this is at the amatuer level, but I have yelled "Cut 3" in situations where it was going to be a bang-banger at the plate (and boy did I really love those--nothing like tagging a guy in the throat or face when he puts his shoulder down...) I'd take the sure third out in an inning my pitcher is struggling. I don't know if I do that in a tie WS game, which perhaps is your point.

As a baserunner I'd take a huge turn around second and allow myself to get caught up if that run would have made the difference. It's kind of like the first and third situation with two outs where the guy on first delay steals to intentionally get caught up, especially on an 0-2 pitcher to a #8 or 9 hitter.

I can't believe Albert would be thinking this, but Inge has already airmailed a couple of throws and that might be in his head. It's clear he's struggled to throw the ball home on quite a few occasions and he--not Pudge--might have thought it was better to get the sure out than try for the play at the plate.

I guess bottom line is I'm willing to trade that out for the opportunity to take the lead in a tight game when we're not scoring a bunch of runs.

Also, do we know what the batter/runner was doing? He may have been 3/4 of the way to second and not giving Mr. Hammy any options about getting back.

OK...the deceased horse, which had been repeatedly whipped unto death, has received another 40 lashes of beating, which caused blunt trauma due to the amount of strikes the dying horse received...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: McCarver and Pujols's "great baserunning"

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I think you looking at it from the defensive perspective, vatican. You take any out you can get at any base when on defense (absolutely). The old saying is relative to the team batting. The premise of that saying is to stop at 2nd when real risky b/c odds are:

(1) with 0 outs there is a great chance you will score if your team can do something halfway decent (which our REDS had trouble doing this year!).

(2) with 2 outs you should be able to score from 2nd on most basehits (running on contact w/ 2 outs and getting a good jump).

There is always things like a wild-pitch, a balk or an infield single that would score a man from 3rd, but those things are "sort of" rare things to happen and not worth the risk taken (being gunned down at 3rd).
    Ah, I got it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?