Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Say what? Wakefield deal

Say what? Wakefield deal

Is that correct? The team can keep renewing his contract annually at the same salary. I have never heard of anything like that before. It's a great deal for Boston. I would have loved for Larkin to have signed something like this about 6 years ago...

Early in the 2005 season, Wakefield agreed to a $4 million, one-year contract extension through 2006 that gave the Red Sox the ability to keep their longest-tenured player for the rest of his career. The team can keep renewing his contract annually at the same salary.
    "I want to pitch as long as my body will let me," he said.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=143653

Wakefield gets 13th year with Boston
    Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 7

Posted: October 30, 2006

Associated Press

BOSTON -- Tim Wakefield is looking forward to his 13th season with the Boston Red Sox, with or without his favorite catcher.

The club exercised its $4 million option on the knuckleballer on Monday, two days after Doug Mirabelli, who handled the fluttering pitch for most of the last five seasons, filed for free agency.

"I'd love to see him back but I understand the organization's standpoint," Wakefield said during a conference call. "I'm open to anyone else who's going to be back there."

General manager Theo Epstein was noncommittal about Mirabelli, a light hitter with a knack for catching the knuckler. The Red Sox also have Jason Varitek, who usually sat out every fifth game so Mirabelli could catch Wakefield. Another possibility is George Kottaras, acquired late in the season from San Diego for pitcher David Wells

"I'm sure we'll continue to talk" with Mirabelli's representative, Epstein said. "We want to find the catcher who's the best fit for the Boston Red Sox to back up Jason, whether it's Doug or somebody else."

Wakefield spent from July 22 to Sept. 13 on the disabled list with a stress fracture in his ribcage. He finished the season at 7-11 with a 4.63 ERA in 23 starts. For his career he is 151-134 in 480 games over two seasons with Pittsburgh and 12 with Boston.

Early in the 2005 season, Wakefield agreed to a $4 million, one-year contract extension through 2006 that gave the Red Sox the ability to keep their longest-tenured player for the rest of his career. The team can keep renewing his contract annually at the same salary.
    "I want to pitch as long as my body will let me," he said.

The Red Sox have three pitchers who will be 40 years old when spring training starts -- Mike Timlin, Wakefield and Curt Schilling.

They'll work with new pitching coach John Farrell, who took over after Dave Wallace's contract was not renewed. Wakefield doesn't know Farrell personally but spoke with him for about 45 minutes.

"I'm going to miss Wally but I think John brings a lot to the table," Wakefield said. "It seems like he has a lot of passion for the staff that's going to be assembled."

Wakefield also said he was feeling "a lot better" and that time was "the cure-all" for his rib injury. He plans to resume throwing in early December. The Red Sox have to make sure someone can catch him.

Boston had traded Mirabelli to San Diego for second baseman Mark Loretta after the 2005 season. They reacquired him on May 1 in a trade that sent Josh Bard to the Padres after Bard had 10 passed balls in Wakefield's first four starts.

"I don't know if we would do anything different" in preparing a new catcher to handle his knuckler, Wakefield said. Bard "tried probably harder than anybody I've ever had back there."

Epstein also formally announced the signing of Timlin to a one-year contract for his fifth season with Boston. Timlin had agreed to a $2.8 million, incentive-laden deal during the World Series.

Timlin was 6-6 with a 4.36 ERA and nine saves in 17 chances in 68 games. The right-hander spent part of May and June on the disabled list with a strained right shoulder.

"We need to do everything we can to protect his arm now that he's going to be 41 and try to learn from what happened this season and take preventative measures" against another injury, Epstein said.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Say what? Wakefield deal

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Is that correct? The team can keep renewing his contract annually at the same salary.
    It sounds like Tim is describing a gentleman's agreement in which he'll accept a series of one-year contracts from the Sox for as long as they want to offer them.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I think there is something like 10 club option years in the contract at $4 million a piece.

That is his actual contract, they can pick up his $4 million option every year until they don't. Or he decides to retire, whichever comes first. It's obviously a great deal for the team, but it's not as bad for him as it seems at first. They don't really have to think twice about signing him up for another $4 million every year, unless he gets so bad that he'd likely decide to retire anyway. And $4 million is still $4 million.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...n-red-sox.html

"additional 1-year, $4M club option is added each time club exercises 1 option, continuing until the club declines an option"

So they exercised '07 which means there's now an '08 option.

Regarding replacing Mirabelli, I wouldn't tell them that Jason LaRue can't handle the knuckler to save his life. How many passed balls did he have with Jared Fernandez?

Six, IIRC.

EDIT: Yep.
    Blocking balls in the dirt, an area of catching Boone holds sacred, is Stinnett's area of expertise. Clearly, it isn't LaRue's. He has committed 17 of the Reds' passed balls, six with knuckleballer Jared Fernandez on the mound, while Stinnett has committed six, five with Fernandez. That means LaRue has 11 passed balls for which Fernandez cannot be blamed.
    Last edited by Redsland; 10-31-2006 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    How many passed balls did he have with Jared Fernandez?
    In 2002, LaRue had twenty passed balls and eight of them occured when Jared Fernandez was on the mound.

Here are the dates:
    Code:
    July 22nd
    August 9th
    August 14th
    September 7th
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Six, IIRC.

EDIT: Yep.
    That article was written August 22nd. LaRue had two more passed balls on September 7th, for a total of eight passed balls when Fernandez was on the mound.

Pouring over all of those game logs finally pays off for a change.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

The Red Sox probably have access to that info. It's funny, Wakefield's been with the Red Sox for more than a decade, and who was going to catch him was never an issue until they got Mirabelli and it just so happened that he turned out to be really good at it. Until then, you just accepted that there'd be lots of passed balls and runners taking extra bases pretty much at will, and that's just life when there's a knuckleball pitcher involved. No one's supposed to be good at catching them. Then, by accident, they wound up with someone who was good at it, and now it's like they can't survive without him.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    That article was written August 22nd. LaRue had two more passed balls on September 7th, for a total of eight passed balls when Fernandez was on the mound.

Pouring over all of those game logs finally pays off for a change.
    I sit corrected.

Turn Off Ads?