Turn Off Ads?

Thread: German Hero Juergen Klinsmann in talks with U.S. Soccer to become USMNT Boss

German Hero Juergen Klinsmann in talks with U.S. Soccer to become USMNT Boss

Klinsmann talking with U.S. Soccer

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Former Germany coach Juergen Klinsmann is in informal talks with the U.S. Soccer Federation that could lead to him taking over as coach of the United States.

Klinsmann, who coached Germany to a surprising berth in the World Cup semifinals this summer, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview on Thursday that he's been speaking with USSF president Sunil Gulati.

"We've had a couple of conversations. I'm evaluating everything that comes up," Klinsmann said. "I'll stay in touch with Sunil and see what it leads to. It's a very casual and relaxed correspondence."

Klinsmann resigned as Germany coach three days after the tournament, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family. He lives in Los Angeles with his American-born wife and is regarded by many as the favorite to replace Bruce Arena, who was told by Gulati in mid-July that his contract would not be renewed.

"Sooner or later, I have to get back into coaching," Klinsmann said.

Gulati, who has refused to comment on his talks with any potential replacement, repeated on Thursday that he hopes to have a new coach in place by the end of the year.

Klinsmann is a close friend of Arena's and attended some U.S. practices when the players worked out in California. He said there isn't any timetable on his talks with Gulati.

Klinsmann has won just about every trophy worth winning as a player, which gives him great credibility with his players. (Lars Baron/Staff / Getty Images)

"Obviously, those are discussions that will continue, and we'll see where they lead," he said.

In announcing Arena's departure, Gulati said his successor should have "some knowledge of American soccer, experience, leadership, a track record of success."

"Does Juergen Klinsmann have those qualities? He probably does," Gulati said then. "He's had success with the German team; he has a much better handle on the American soccer scene than someone who hasn't spent time here; he's inquisitive. He's an intelligent guy, multilingual with a lot of very positive qualities."

The 42-year-old Klinsmann's stint in charge of Germany opened him up to considerable criticism for his decision to commute from California. But those complaints dissipated as the World Cup host advanced to the semifinals before losing to Italy, the eventual champion.

"I've lived in this country for eight years now, so I've followed soccer development in the United States," he said. "It's definitely a very different situation in this country. Obviously, the approach here in the U.S. would be a totally different one. The player-development aspect is a huge aspect."

After advancing to the World Cup quarterfinals in 2002, its best showing since the initial tournament in 1930, the United States was knocked out in the first round this year. The Americans lost to the Czech Republic 3-0, drew Italy 1-1 and lost to Ghana 2-1.

Klinsmann was a star forward for Germany, playing in the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups and scoring 11 goals, tied for fifth in the history of the tournament. He was a member of Germany's victorious 1990 World Cup and 1996 European Championship teams, and he scored 47 goals in 108 internationals.

At the club level, he played for Stuttgarter Kickers, VfB Stuttgart, Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, Sampdoria, AS Monaco, and Tottenham Hotspur.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: German Hero Juergen Klinsmann in talks with U.S. Soccer to become USMNT Boss

This would be a dream come true. My #1 choice for our next manager.

What he did with Germany was nothing short of brilliant.

Re: German Hero Juergen Klinsmann in talks with U.S. Soccer to become USMNT Boss

Klinsmann wants to live in Cali and coach a major soccer team. The U.S. team job is pretty much the perfect fit.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think anyone who has followed US soccer at all lately could see this coming. I hope he gets the job. There isn't anyone else out there more deserving or a better fit.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

got alil captain in u?

anybody but bruce arena is wat i say

This would be beyond my wildest dreams. I knew The USSF was interested, but didn't know if JK would pursue it. What a great thing for US soccer if this comes to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    anybody but bruce arena is wat i say
    Bruce advanced the program during his tenure, but it was definitely time for a change. Klinsmann is a good choice, as he lives in S. California and it would allow him to be close to home.

Turn Off Ads?