Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Close Calls Yesterday In College Football

Two Close Calls Yesterday In College Football

OSU and Michigan.

Do you think these two teams were looking ahead to their matchup a couple weeks from now?

Four years ago, on the way to a perfect season and national championship, Ohio State nearly slipped on a visit to Illinois. The Illini kicked a field goal on the final play of regulation to force overtime before the Buckeyes regrouped, batting away a final pass and sweating out a 23-16 win.

Zook had them ready to play yesterday. Tressel was right earlier in the week when he warned people about a young Illini team that is much improved as compared to last year's squad.

That LB Mendenhall looked impressive. As well as Josh Norris.

And Michigan vs Ball State. Wow!

But in a way I'm glad that both these teams got a "scare". Mabe it'll wake them up and help to fight any complaceny/comfort they may be feeling.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Two Close Calls Yesterday In College Football

OSU won in spite of Jim Tressel, much like the Reds won some games last year in spite of Jerry Narron.

Tressel needs to stop sitting on any lead 10 points or more and try and run out the clock. Yesterday almost proved to kill his sit on the lead strategy. They were a completely lame and worthless team in the 2nd half, and once again had to lean on the defense to secure the W. It's horrible. Tressel just needs to keep that offense clicking and essentially use games as practice. Once he has that precious 10 point or more lead, just use each offensive series as a practice to see if that offense really has what it takes to pretty much march down the field at will. If he doesn't want to run up the score, which seems to be the case, march the offense to a suitable FG distance, and give your kid some reps in a game situation kickin the rock. It's not rocket science.

I'm not sayin Tressel should go Spurrier on teams and put a 60 spot on the board against bad teams, but Illinois had no business only losing by 7. They aren't that good, and OSU isn't that bad.

As for Michigan, that was a battle of two horrible defenses. Mike Hart had over 150 on the ground, and some other kid had over 100 for UM, so clearly they had no problem runnin the ball. I think Hart will give OSU fits when they play, and ultimately could lead to a UM W, but Michigan needs to clearly do something about their defensive packages, b/c there is no good reason why a Ball State should make that game that close. No reason at all.

You can get the OSU / Michigan game count down here:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Nothing would make me happier than for either team to screw up a perfect season before the game. I absolutely dispise the BcS series and have since the inception because it doesnt fix whats broken. What if Illinois recovered and scored to send the game into OT and won in OT? OSU would be out of the title hunt unless 6-7 teams lost next couple weeks and OSU won out, even then it would be hard for them to make up the difference with 1 loss. You need a playoff to give teams like Ohio St. (had they lost yesterday or ahead of the UM game), WVU, Auburn, Florida a chance on the field to put up or shut up like every other sport/league in the nation.

I think at this point, both teams want to show as little as possible so they can have some surprises in the Game of the Century. I'm not that concerned.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    OSU won in spite of Jim Tressel, much like the Reds won some games last year in spite of Jerry Narron.

Tressel needs to stop sitting on any lead 10 points or more and try and run out the clock. Yesterday almost proved to kill his sit on the lead strategy. They were a completely lame and worthless team in the 2nd half, and once again had to lean on the defense to secure the W. It's horrible. Tressel just needs to keep that offense clicking and essentially use games as practice. Once he has that precious 10 point or more lead, just use each offensive series as a practice to see if that offense really has what it takes to pretty much march down the field at will. If he doesn't want to run up the score, which seems to be the case, march the offense to a suitable FG distance, and give your kid some reps in a game situation kickin the rock. It's not rocket science.

I'm not sayin Tressel should go Spurrier on teams and put a 60 spot on the board against bad teams, but Illinois had no business only losing by 7. They aren't that good, and OSU isn't that bad.

As for Michigan, that was a battle of two horrible defenses. Mike Hart had over 150 on the ground, and some other kid had over 100 for UM, so clearly they had no problem runnin the ball. I think Hart will give OSU fits when they play, and ultimately could lead to a UM W, but Michigan needs to clearly do something about their defensive packages, b/c there is no good reason why a Ball State should make that game that close. No reason at all.
    Boone was hurt and the Oline played a miserable game. He was just trying to get out of there with a win and I never really felt threatened. Who really cares if the score was 17-10 or 34-3?

He didn't feel the need to risk Troy or risk turnovers by chucking the ball around the yard with the extremely poor Tim Schaefer at LT.

They will be fine.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Highlife, Michigan's defense is phenomenal. Don't let one game, against a team thy porbably spent like 5 minutes on during practice, override an entire season of domination on the defensive end of the ball. That's a damn good defense, and the Buckeyes better not have a game plan that includes a lot of running or else they're going to lose.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Highlife, Michigan's defense is phenomenal. Don't let one game, against a team thy porbably spent like 5 minutes on during practice, override an entire season of domination on the defensive end of the ball. That's a damn good defense, and the Buckeyes better not have a game plan that includes a lot of running or else they're going to lose.
    I agree that the Michigan defense is better than yesterdays, also better than any that Ohio State has faced, the second half yesterday could be a preview for Ohio State, they could be shut down by Michigan just enough.

I have a follow up question. Regardless of the plan or play calling in the second half yesterday, can someone explain to me where the offensive line play and blocking for Ohio State went during that second half?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 11-05-2006 at 12:11 PM.

I agree MWM. I'm a Blue superfan, watched every game on TV and even went to the Notre Dame v Blue game this year. Blue defense is dominant. A D like OSU has not seen this year. However, from watching both teams, I still think that Blue is a 10 point dog. I shutter to think the day that Smith will have behind center throwing those darts to a spread out defense, against our secondary. Our D line is dominant but Smith will just scramble out of that to buy time or just take off. Plus the game is at Cbus which doesn't bode well for a Blue victory.

That said, this weekends games for both teams were important. to wake up both teams that have not been tested all year. I expect next week to be much crisper for both, leading up to the GAME.

go blue

Go Louisville.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'll believe UM's D is dominant when I see it. Their sackers are slow fat boys that are still looking for Troy Smith after two years, and I doubt if they find him now. In the same way you doubt if tOSU has seen a D like UM's that D has not seen an O like Ohio State's.

I was frustrated with the O in the second half yesterday, but to throw Tressel under the bus for one conservative day of play calling the entire this season (I'm only talking about this season) is a bit much.

And with all that said, Northwestern has me worried after beating Iowa on the road yesterday. But then, Iowa turns out to be only perhaps behind Georgia (losing to UK is just unreal) in being one of the most severely overrated teams this season.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Go Louisville.
    If Louisville even sniffs the bcs championship game I may never watch college football again.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'll believe UM's D is dominant when I see it. Their sackers are slow fat boys that are still looking for Troy Smith after two years, and I doubt if they find him now. In the same way you doubt if tOSU has seen a D like UM's that D has not seen an O like Ohio State's.
    Hope that you're right! Personally I think that Ohio State is going to lose to Michigan.

Does anyone think that OSU or Michigan could make it through an SEC schedule undefeated?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I think at this point, both teams want to show as little as possible so they can have some surprises in the Game of the Century. I'm not that concerned.
    This is completely correct at least from the Ohio State perspective. The only thing OSU has shown since other than the trick Ted Ginn throw play has been more running plays for Troy Smith. OSU really has not show anything new in the past few weeks.

I feel sorry for Northwestern now. If OSU had blown out Illinois I think Northwestern could have stuck with them and had a chance to win because OSU would not have focused. However, now OSU will probably be much more focused.

Turn Off Ads?