Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite scary movie/scariest movie scene

Re: Favorite scary movie/scariest movie scene

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I have never been much of a horror movie fan, but one scene that scared the daylights out of me the first time I saw it, back when it first came out and I was a wee one, was the part in Jaws where the severed head becomes visible through the hole in the sunken boat. That scene really got me then.
    I was thinking of the same scene. I went to the movies with some buddies. We all yelled when the head popped up.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jaws is definitely one of my favorites.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I have never been much of a horror movie fan, but one scene that scared the daylights out of me the first time I saw it, back when it first came out and I was a wee one, was the part in Jaws where the severed head becomes visible through the hole in the sunken boat. That scene really got me then.
    Totally agree on this one. That was probably the most scared I have ever been in a movie theatre and I was 12
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

You know, when I think back on Jaws, I lament that big Hollywood blockbusters nowadays somehow can't express the incredible subtleties that they once did. There are so many scenes in Jaws that were so finely shaded and detailed, rich and expansive.

Subtlety now is how well they can mask the CGI--no nuance of character, mood, or mise en scene.

And I don't mean movies in general, just contemporary blockbusters.

(Man, I'm starting to sound like a codger.)
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-31-2006 at 08:45 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Being, I guess, of the "older generation" (I guess I made it), I like older horror movies. I'm talking about the older Universal and Hammer "creature features". Frankenstein and the Wolfman scared the crap out of me. Yet so did Margaret Hamilton in Wizard of Oz! Gave me nightmares.

The very first Night Of The Living Dead (1968) was good.

Later on, it was the Exorcist.

I have no desire to ever watch slasher films, or any of the current movies that are, IMO, sadistic and very graphic with gore. Movies like Saw, etc. I personally have a hard time with people that find enjoyment with watching these types of movies. But that is just me.

The creature in The Unnameable scared me pretty good....

H.P Lovecraft came up with some pretty wild concepts.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-31-2006 at 09:04 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

"Jaws" was actually scarier before we got to see the "shark". I've always thought that the shark, when it attacked Robert Shaw, looked a bit fake (of course it was fake ). "Jaws" was scarier when we could only imagine the dread unseen threat beneath the surface.
    I find most of the "slasher" horror movies to be stupid. One recent movie that I did like that was scary was "What Lies Beneath" made by Michelle Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford a few years ago.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    One recent movie that I did like that was scary was "What Lies Beneath" made by Michelle Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford a few years ago.
    That was a good movie. Quite different for Harrison.

And I liked Hitchcock. Keeping you in suspense, and guessing, and not having to show you everything, which leaves stuff to the imagination.

The shower scene in Psycho with Janet Lee. It doesn't get any better then that.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Scream, Scream 2, and Scream 3. All very good movies and favorites of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Friday the 13th Part III in 3-D when Jason first wears the hockey mask and shoots a girl in the eye with a harpoon. That thing flies straight at you.

There were lots of great scenes in that movie simply because of the 3-D.

If you watch it without the 3-D, you start tto wonder why everybody is pointing things at the camera.
    I particularly like the whole yo-yo scene, which is the most pointless scene ever without 3-D.

I'm a big Friday the 13th fan as my above comments may note. I'm also a fan of the Halloween movies. III is hilarious. Happy Happy Halloween, Silver Shamrock!

I rewatched Psycho a few days ago too, I had forgotten how much I liked it.

We saw the 1st Jeepers Creepers for the 1st time last night and it did a heckuva job creeping me out. It proabably "got me"more than any scary movie has in a while and I'm not sure why.

The 2nd one was on tonight, but it did not seem to be as good as the first one - so much so tha we did not watch much of it. However I must say we came in late on #2 since we were out doing the candy thing.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You know, when I think back on Jaws, I lament that big Hollywood blockbusters nowadays somehow can't express the incredible subtleties that they once did. There are so many scenes in Jaws that were so finely shaded and detailed, rich and expansive.

Subtlety now is how well they can mask the CGI--no nuance of character, mood, or mise en scene.

And I don't mean movies in general, just contemporary blockbusters.

(Man, I'm starting to sound like a codger.)
    I think you're right on that one, especially with that movie. It was on tv the other day and I watched it again. It had been several years since I saw it and what struck me was not only that it was a pretty good movie, but that the pacing was really different than a lot of movies today that seem geared toward an audience with ADD.

Threads or The Day After
    Go Gators!

The scene in "The Body Snatcher" near the end when Dr MacFarlane is driving the coach in the rain and he thinks Karloff's character's dead body is the one flopping against him as he drives the coach through the stormy weather before it flips.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

A couple of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned are Creepshow and Sleepy Hollow.

"I want my cake! Bedelia! Where's my Father's Day cake?" I also like the part with the creature in the crate from a turn of the century Antarctic expedition where Adrienne Barbeau gets what's coming to her.

I'm a big Tim Burton fan and I really like Johnny Depp as well so Sleepy Hollow is an all-time favorite. The lighting and cinematography really create a great mood for the film.

The very last scene in the first Friday The 13th where the girl survives, is laying in the boat in a very surreal scene, and looks up to give one of those nice, friendly end of movie waves at her friends standing on the shore as if everything is OK. I thought it was over. Then Jason comes roaring up out of the water and snatches her. I thought I was going to die from a heart attack in my mid 20's right there at the drive-in.

Turn Off Ads?