Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best trade partner for the Reds based on needs

Re: Best trade partner for the Reds based on needs

Doubt the Tigers trade Robertson who put up cy young-like #'s this season, and Bonderman who is a young great pitcher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Don't disagree that he would be better there. Wouldn't all pitchers? I can't see why these teams in big parks would be any more inclined to take him over other options than any other team would.
    If we trade him and pay half of his salary they would take a chance. All he has is one year on his contract. That would free up another 5 million for us.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    If we trade him and pay half of his salary they would take a chance. All he has is one year on his contract. That would free up another 5 million for us.
    Maybe, but he's coming off surgery and you'll get nothing for him. I am in the minority, but if he proves he is healthy and you pay half his salary, I think teams will want him next year as opposed to taking him off our hands now. I think a better plan would be keep him with the thought of trading him in June or July.
    - Teams will be looking for starters and won't have free agents to turn to. (Remember teams were turning to Jose Lima, Joe Mays, etc. last year)
    - He'll have time to prove he's healthy.
    - Since so many fewer starters will be on the market, his value will be higher.
    - He will have bought time for Bailey in AAA.
    - No Salary will be eaten and still half is off the books.
    - Since you know your going to do this going in, you only count half his salary anyway as far as the budget goes.
    - Because pitchers will be scarce in July, you'll get a decent prospect for him. The Reds gave Germano for Ryan Franklin and Ward for Kyle Lohse. You'd get some one similar or better for Milton. For all the bashing he takes, Milton is better than Franklin and about the same as Lohse (but older and less upside.)

I trade Lohse now and Milton in June or July.

Yankee stadium is a huge ball park for left handed pitchers. The right field line is short but left center, and left field are very deep.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Best trade partner for the Reds
    The devil. A deal with him would put us right back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Florida is going to want Major League ready prospects.. With last years payroll I don't see them looking to add 10.5 million to the payroll when there payroll was not even 20 million last year. However I would make an effort to deal for Willis. Bailey would probably be the only Reds prospect that could be ML ready. I'm not ready to deal a 20 yr old rising star for Willis unless Cabrera is involved. I just feel Bailey can put up similar numbers Willis can with a cheaper base pay.
    If the Reds are to compete less 40 HR's and 100 walks, they will need BOTH Willis and Homer....As to the payroll issue, I was watching a Marlins TV broadcast in mid-September and their announcers were pointing out that it was probably time to add some veteran power to a team of youngster so that the Fish could get to the next level......they speculated that owner ship, given the last half showing, SHOULD be will (and would need to) to pony up some new cash to leverage the young team into the playoffs.....just what I heard, not that it means a thing.

And I don't think you can count all of Dunn's 10.5 mill in this question because Willis makes more than the minimum....I think.

I have come to the school that says a spare OF or even a spare IF can be gotten each year if necessary. Paying Dunn and JR 25 million a year whilst you are pitching poor makes less and less sense to me.

Turn Off Ads?