Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best trade partner for the Reds based on needs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best trade partner for the Reds based on needs

If you are looking at what needs the Reds have and what needs other teams have you can come up with a trade partner for Cincy.The Reds need starting pitching and a closer most of all,then a SS and another OF as well.Now for the most pressing needs(SP and CL)I have a trade partner in mind the Tigers.The Tigers need a lefty in the pen and a slugging 1B or DH.SO I came up with this trade with the Tigers:

Reds get
    Bonderman or Robertson
    Rodney
    Thames
    prospect(B type)

Tigers get
    Dunn
    Cormier
    Milton
    4 mil.

This would fill the Reds there biggest needs and the Tigers nas well.I could see this deal getting done.Now for the SS postion I say sign a FA maybe Lugo if he could be had for the right price at only 2 to 3 years.What do you think.

Re: Best trade partner for the Reds based on needs

I don't think Detroit would want Cormier and Milton. I do hope Wayne targets Detroit as a trade partner this offseason though. They have some nice young pitching that would be great to pry away.

Alot of posters here are under estimating Milton has a possible tradeing chip here.Im not saying that the Reds could trade him by his self or even until he proves he is healthy.Milton pitched pretty decent this year until he got hurt again.Every one of his stats were down from 05,his strike outs were up.Now if the Reds can take half his contract for 07 and send him to a big ball park a team would consider tradeing for him.All beit they would have to package him with another player but a deal could get done.

I also expect Cormier could also bring the Reds back something if they decide to try and deal him.

I'm toolsy.

FFW, I agree with you on the "tradeability" of Milton and Cormier. My only concern is this:

The Reds currently need a #3 starter (with Milton being the #4). If they trade their #4 and the biggest bat in the line-up and only get a #3 and bullpen help, that would still seem to leave a lot of holes (#4 starter and run production).

So you are saying Milton only has value as a throw-in and if the Reds eat half his salary? Well, I agree with that. Still, if I'm Detroit I reject that deal as neither Milton or Cormier are an improvement over what I've got. If they are dealing Bonderman and/or Rodney, they will most likely want younger, better players in return.

Alot of posters here are under estimating Milton has a possible tradeing chip here. Every one of his stats were down from 05,his strike outs were up.
    I can't see how a 5+ ERA and $10mill per year contract could add anything but negative value to a trade.

I would hang onto Milton. He was throwing really well "stuff-wise" before he went down with that injury early in the year. Then his fastball dropped from low 90's into Rheal Cormier territory. He's got good control, so maybe getting the extra "zip" back on his fastball would be enough to raise his strikeout rate. That might be enough to overcome his annual 30-40 homer potential and make him a useful starter. Obviously a best case scenario though.

Article today on ESPN says Florida should trade Dontrelle this winter. To me, I would target that guy BIG TIME!

Talk about your ACE!

Give them Dunn and other fodder and get back maybe a young OF with Willis.

Give me Willis, Arroyo, Harang and Homer and I will start printing playoff tickets.

I believe the Reds should try Olemdo and Phillips as the DP duo. Move JR to LF and platoon Freel and Denorfia in CF. Pick up a hitter in the mold of Juan Encarncion or Reggie Sanders to play RF.

Shoot, I might even consider playing JR in RF and EdwinE in LF with Aurillia at 3B.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Article today on ESPN says Florida should trade Dontrelle this winter. To me, I would target that guy BIG TIME!

Talk about your ACE!

Give them Dunn and other fodder and get back maybe a young OF with Willis.

Give me Willis, Arroyo, Harang and Homer and I will start printing playoff tickets.

I believe the Reds should try Olemdo and Phillips as the DP duo. Move JR to LF and platoon Freel and Denorfia in CF. Pick up a hitter in the mold of Juan Encarncion or Reggie Sanders to play RF.

Shoot, I might even consider playing JR in RF and EdwinE in LF with Aurillia at 3B.
    Florida is going to want Major League ready prospects.. With last years payroll I don't see them looking to add 10.5 million to the payroll when there payroll was not even 20 million last year. However I would make an effort to deal for Willis. Bailey would probably be the only Reds prospect that could be ML ready. I'm not ready to deal a 20 yr old rising star for Willis unless Cabrera is involved. I just feel Bailey can put up similar numbers Willis can with a cheaper base pay.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Florida is going to want Major League ready prospects.. With last years payroll I don't see them looking to add 10.5 million to the payroll when there payroll was not even 20 million last year. However I would make an effort to deal for Willis. Bailey would probably be the only Reds prospect that could be ML ready. I'm not ready to deal a 20 yr old rising star for Willis unless Cabrera is involved. I just feel Bailey can put up similar numbers Willis can with a cheaper base pay.
    If the Reds are to compete less 40 HR's and 100 walks, they will need BOTH Willis and Homer....As to the payroll issue, I was watching a Marlins TV broadcast in mid-September and their announcers were pointing out that it was probably time to add some veteran power to a team of youngster so that the Fish could get to the next level......they speculated that owner ship, given the last half showing, SHOULD be will (and would need to) to pony up some new cash to leverage the young team into the playoffs.....just what I heard, not that it means a thing.

And I don't think you can count all of Dunn's 10.5 mill in this question because Willis makes more than the minimum....I think.

I have come to the school that says a spare OF or even a spare IF can be gotten each year if necessary. Paying Dunn and JR 25 million a year whilst you are pitching poor makes less and less sense to me.

Willis would be great but I dont see him ending up in cincy if he gets traded.Flordia would probably ask for atleast 2 of Cincy young great talent.Like Homer and Votto.While I would give up Homer for Willis by hisself I wouldnt add another young talent to the deal like Votto or Bruce or even the kid from Texas,forgot his name.

The Tigers and Angels seem to fit well as trade partners IF Dunn is the bait. I would take a stab at some of the Tigers young pitching (starters and bullpen). I have been intrigued by Thames as well. He had a good year for a guy that wasn't an everyday player.

As for the Angels, they have some nice young SS (as has been discussed), Ervin Santana, and another guy I would take a chance at if he could be had cheap, Dallas McPherson. He has been hurt and I wouldn't mind grabbing him if the Angels were getting tired of waiting on him to develop.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ED44 View Post
    The Tigers and Angels seem to fit well as trade partners IF Dunn is the bait. I would take a stab at some of the Tigers young pitching (starters and bullpen). I have been intrigued by Thames as well. He had a good year for a guy that wasn't an everyday player.

As for the Angels, they have some nice young SS (as has been discussed), Ervin Santana, and another guy I would take a chance at if he could be had cheap, Dallas McPherson. He has been hurt and I wouldn't mind grabbing him if the Angels were getting tired of waiting on him to develop.
    I absolutly agree with you. Angels have been salivating for a power hitting OF'er and maybe some how we could sweeten the deal for a SS and McPherson.. I really like LAA as a trading partner. Hopefully the winter meetings will be good to us Reds fans..

How about the Yankees as a trading partner. They can eat the cost of a contract and their team is old. The Reds could trade some low level prospects or moderate prospects to the Yankees to help them get younger and to help bring ML caliber players to the Reds. I can easily see the Reds trading a Votto, Drew Stubbs, or possibly a Bruce if it made the team that much better for next year.

How about the Yankees as a trading partner. They can eat the cost of a contract and their team is old. The Reds could trade some low level prospects or moderate prospects to the Yankees to help them get younger and to help bring ML caliber players to the Reds. I can easily see the Reds trading a Votto, Drew Stubbs, or possibly a Bruce if it made the team that much better for next year.
    I do think the Yankees make some sense as far as dealing a guy Like Milton, but due to his injury I just don't know if it's possible.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Milton needs to pitch in a big ball park, that's all. His ERA would go down a full point if he pitched in Seattle. Low humidity and a big ball park would do wonders for Milton. Pitching in the humidity of Cincinnati or Philidelphia in a "cracker-jack" ball park is pretty hard on a fly ball pitcher. His best seccess was were?.....with the Twins...in 72 degrees...low humidity.

That's how you sale Milton. Seattle would be my first target for a trade. He was made for that ballpark. Then San Francisco.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?