Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League

Re: UEFA Champions League

Gerrard came out talking tough and backed it up on the pitch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What did Giggs do on the free kick?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What did Giggs do on the free kick?
    Didn't see it, but I heard he took it while the Lille goalie was still positioning his teammates for the kick.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Did he score? Had the referee given him permission to proceed? That'd be the crux of it, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Did he score? Had the referee given him permission to proceed? That'd be the crux of it, IMO.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-keC9GymLpI

You make the decision. I just didn't think it was very sporting but I don't blame him.

The ref of the Lille-Man U game should be barred from the Champions League for at least five years. You don't allow a quick start on a ball from that spot on the field. He made it even worse by not signalling toward the Lille players that he was going to allow the quick start.

Technically it was within the rules, but the reality is Man U won on a cheap goal scored while Lille was setting up their wall and that certainly is less than sporting.

Barca's in huge trouble. They need to score twice an Anfield in order to have any chance at moving forward. Inter's also up against it, surrendering two away goals to Valencia. PSV did what it had to against Arsenal. Chelsea survived Terry's injury to get an away goal in a tie against Porto. Celtic will need to find some away form against Milan. Real and Bayern Munich is like watching two train wrecks collide, no telling what kind of mayhem will ensue in the next leg (Real surrendering that late goal to cut their lead to 3-2 could come back to plague them). Lyon outplayed Roma, but didn't get a goal for it. Then again, Roma could play Lyon for a week straight and still not score against that defense, so you've got to like Lyon's chances of going home in two weeks and getting a victory, plus Fred should be fully fit by then.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

That's about the cheapest goal you'll ever see in a pro league.

Roma's pulling a shocker against Lyon at the half, up 2-0. Lyon's owned the ball, but Roma's scored both times it put the ball on net. The French side will need to score 3 in the second half to advance.

Porto's also up a goal on Chelsea at the moment. Liverpool and Barca are tied at 0-0, with Barca needing two goals to have a chance at advancing. Valencia and Inter are also scoreless. If that finishes nil-nil or 1-1, Valencia advances on away goals.

So it could be four relatively huge upsets this afternoon with four giants heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Roma's pulling a shocker against Lyon at the half, up 2-0. Lyon's owned the ball, but Roma's scored both times it put the ball on net. The French side will need to score 3 in the second half to advance.

Porto's also up a goal on Chelsea at the moment. Liverpool and Barca are tied at 0-0, with Barca needing two goals to have a chance at advancing. Valencia and Inter are also scoreless. If that finishes nil-nil or 1-1, Valencia advances on away goals.

So it could be four relatively huge upsets this afternoon with four giants heading out.
    Chelsea doesn't let it go 4-4 in upsets coming back to win 2-1. Can't wait to watch the 2nd half on replay when I get home from work.

Can Arsenal overcome their 1 goal deficit tomorrow to help England have 4 in the quarterfinals?

Quote Originally Posted by timmario66 View Post
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-keC9GymLpI

You make the decision. I just didn't think it was very sporting but I don't blame him.
    The referee stepped away. It's a nothing issue and the whining afterwards has been pretty embarrassing for Lille. Unwritten rules and the like have no place in sports, IMO.

Their keeper took about ten hours to get his wall lined up. They were stalling to not allow an away goal and they got beat.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The Inter result is fairly shocking; they've been almost invincible this season and imo are a superior team to Valencia. I have never been a big fan of the away goals rule.

Oh, and I have a soft spot for Inter. Should've mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    The Inter result is fairly shocking; they've been almost invincible this season and imo are a superior team to Valencia. I have never been a big fan of the away goals rule.

Valencia plays in a far superior league and Villa and Morientes are a lethal attacking duo. Inter clearly decided after the first contest to lay back and go for a smash-and-grab win. Typical cynical Italian football. Inter did well in only going out on away goals.

Interestingly, the best club in Europe might not have been in the Champions League this year. FC Sevilla has a very good chance of sweeping La Liga, the Copa del Rey and the UEFA Cup in the coming months. I'd love to see that team butt heads with Man U or Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post

Barcelona bounced out on away goals, too. FIFA needs to come up with a better way to determine winners than away goals and penalty kicks.

I would like to see FIFA adopt a golden goal system similar to one used in an indoor tournament I played in. No subs allowed after regulation ends. After five minutes of extra time, each team must send one player off. Five more minutes, another player off. The game continues in this way until somebody scores.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Barcelona bounced out on away goals, too. FIFA needs to come up with a better way to determine winners than away goals and penalty kicks.

I would like to see FIFA adopt a golden goal system similar to one used in an indoor tournament I played in. No subs allowed after regulation ends. After five minutes of extra time, each team must send one player off. Five more minutes, another player off. The game continues in this way until somebody scores.
    THIS RULE IS RIDICULOUS!!!! Either only play a single game or run it to 3. Barcelona looked much sharper in both games. Their offense is intricate and the runs come from everywhere unlike Liverpool. This away goals rule has to be demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post

I don't mind the away goals rule for the home-and-home round of 16 games or the quarterfinals. It gives both games equal weight and fans of both teams a chance to see the contest. Though it might be interesting to do a single game with the golden format for the semis and final.

Turn Off Ads?