Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

Just because they are going to aggressively pursue players and open up the checkbook, doesn't mean said players will help.

I give you Exhibits 1 and 2

:wilson: :milton:
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Just because they are going to aggressively pursue players and open up the checkbook, doesn't mean said players will help.

Chip, must you crush dreams with reality?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

One thing that I do find refreshing about Mr. Castellini and his reported remarks is that he appears to be a successful individual that follows conservatism in his business dealings and communications.

I think we really can reasonably assume that he is giving Mr. Krivsky the tools to achieve the goals and objectives. It would have been somewhat out of character for him to have made such a remark in earnest or jest publically while at the same time to not afford Mr. Krivsky the necessary tools and resources to achieve Mr. Castellini’s spoken aspirations.

*Fantasy*
    Barry Zito
    Carlos Lee (Dunn to first base)
    Chad Bradford

Zito, Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lizard/Lohse/Belisle

Freel RF
    Dunn 1B
    Encarnacion 3B
    Lee LF
    Griffey CF
    Phillips SS/2B
    Ross C
    2B/SS acquired

BP: Bradford, Coffey, Majik, Bray, Cormier, 2 of Belisle/Lohse/Lizard

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

I must. I must.

It's OK to dream and hope they get the right players in here. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I admit I do too. But the harsh reality is that throwing money at a player doesn't make them a better player. We could pay Juan Castro $20M a year but it isn't going to make him A-Rod.

Minimum, this off season I'd like to see a strong pitching coach added (I like Hickey from what I've seen), then two solid starters (one FA, one via trade), one closer candidate, a young MI to pair with Phillips and a strong OF or 1B bat (if Dunn goes in a trade I would need to see at least one more solid bat).

I also wouldn't mind a young catcher (could even be AA/AAA) who is solid defensively and can rake. This one is secondary though.

[EDIT] I would love to find a pitching coach candidate who can not only take solid arms and maintain it, but take guys like Claussen or Ramierez, focus them and get the most from the talent they do have.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-01-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Plus there is the east and west coast along with the Chicago markets to snatch up the player resources that might be available.

Actively pursuing and making a sincere effort is one thing. Getting them to sign and come here is another.

What ever players we may be fantasizing about..... 20 other teams are also.

There is only one language that players listen to, and that's $$$$$$$$$$.

This is going to be an interesting off-season because the pitching market is still tighter then a new pair of jeans. Wonder what kind of contracts, like Jeff Weaver and a few others, are going to land?

I still say that it's going to have to be done incrementally (piece by piece) over the next couple of years, as we get out from under bad contracts. I don't think there is going to be any HUGE life changing, BIG NAME, signings in this off-season.

So lets not do anything stupid and give out an more bad contracts till we're our from under these.

But I don't think Kriv will IMO. Just focus on pitching first, and remember Wayne..... no reasonable offer will be refused. Be that used car salesman.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

It's OK to dream and hope they get the right players in here. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I admit I do too. But the harsh reality is that throwing money at a player doesn't make them a better player. We could pay Juan Castro $20M a year but it isn't going to make him A-Rod.
    I know. I guess my real underlying hope is that this FO knows who is good to pursue and who is not. They've not given me too much indication of this...but the early acquisitions were pretty good.

I know that Cincinnati is not the most desirable place to play with the team in the state it's in right now, and I've often wondered whether this team will EVER be able to acquire a top free-agent pitcher (as opposed to obtaining them via trade or, horror of horrors, the farm system). That is why money can help with the desirable ones, along with more creative incentives. For example, I would pursue Zito, who is a smart guy, by appealing to his sense of humanity, by reminding him that on the big-money teams on the coasts he is just another pitcher, and easily replaced, and if they don't get him they'll get someone else. Whereas he can singlehandedly be a huge difference with this team, take them to new heights in a way that no other single player can, and be a hero in Cincinnati for generations. I would also offer to build him his own power-generated wave lake for surfing and a rack of rare guitars. And I would give him his own newsletter. Then I would bring in a group of small children wearing Reds Zito jerseys and have them serenade him with a Zinzinnnati Zitotastic! song. But I haven't put a lot of thought into this or anything.

Hasn't Zito said he wants to stay on the west coast though?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Hasn't Zito said he wants to stay on the west coast though?
    Money talks. As, of course, do singing children.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There is only one language that players listen to, and that's $$$$$$$$$$.

Not everyone goes after the almighty dollar. Many players have taken less to either stay someplace or spurned a higher offer to play elsewhere. I believe Greg Maddux turned down the Yankees to go with a lesser offer from the Braves because he didn't want to play in NY. Our main man Jr. could have stayed in SEA for more money or went elsewhere for more money but he decided this is where he wanted to play.

Others want a challenge. Maybe the #3 guy on a pitching staff would rather take less money to be the #1 guy on a staff than stay put for more money. You see a guy like Rich Aurilia. All he wants is a regular job somewhere. If the Reds had told him that he would be the starter at 2nd or SS next year, he would have accepted the option for 2007.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This should not come as a shock, really....

I would expect nothing less from Castellini

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    juan pierre please...i know you guys probably will hate this post but he is such an asset to a baseball team
    I'll take Deno in CF for $400,000, Alex
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Actually, the harsh reality is that the two examples he provided -- Eric Milton and Paul Wilson -- were signed by a completely different ownership and a completely different general manager.

If you want to discount Castellini's plan before it's even been implemented, I guess that's your prerogative. But personally, I have seen nothing from Castellini to make me assume he's going to renege on his promise.

And hearing the above quote has me very, very excited about this postseason and the coming years.

Of course, that probably doesn't make me very cool or witty.
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain -- and most fools do.” - Benjamin Franklin

Turn Off Ads?