Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Same here.

I love how the reporter said that Castellini responded "without hesitation." He wants a winner, period. No equivocation.

Yep, I agree as well.

We may well argue about the deals Krivsky makes to get there, but I don't doubt for a minute that he's sincere.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JEA View Post
    Actually, the harsh reality is that the two examples he provided -- Eric Milton and Paul Wilson -- were signed by a completely different ownership and a completely different general manager.

If you want to discount Castellini's plan before it's even been implemented, I guess that's your prerogative. But personally, I have seen nothing from Castellini to make me assume he's going to renege on his promise.

No one's discounting his plan and, personally, I believe he is going to stick to his promise. But what he and Krivsky believe are worthy targets to go after may not be. Then again they might. They might have watched the playoffs and came to the decision that they must have Yadier Molina at any price even if that price is Dunn and/or Bailey. Or Jason Marquis with his 14 wins and 194 IPs would be a good pitcher to throw $8M a year at for 3-4 years. While I would commend them for actually going out and getting those players, they really wouldn't be very smart moves. It isn't the plan I'm concerned about. It's the execution of said plan that worries me. Maybe, come spring training, all my worries will be for naught. But just doing something is not necessarily better than doing nothing as the contracts given to Milton and Wilson proved.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Just because they are going to aggressively pursue players and open up the checkbook, doesn't mean said players will help.

I give you Exhibits 1 and 2

:wilson: :milton:
    :griffey:

The Reds were also going to add payroll if they were close in august right? I will believe it when I see it. Sorry to be a negative Nelly.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Actually, the harsh reality is that the two examples he provided -- Eric Milton and Paul Wilson -- were signed by a completely different ownership and a completely different general manager.

If you want to discount Castellini's plan before it's even been implemented, I guess that's your prerogative. But personally, I have seen nothing from Castellini to make me assume he's going to renege on his promise.

And hearing the above quote has me very, very excited about this postseason and the coming years.

Of course, that probably doesn't make me very cool or witty.
    Yes those deals were by O'Brien but I think the point of that comment wasn't to point out flaws by former management. I think the point was to show that the most expensive players aren't neccesarily the best players. But anyway I'm excited about the future as you are but I hope Reds fans are willing to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    The Reds were also going to add payroll if they were close in august right? I will believe it when I see it. Sorry to be a negative Nelly.
    I'm with you. Lohse and Cormier were the big payroll additions. The FO hasn't made me believe in this yet.

I could totally see Bob giving Wayne a bucket of cash, telling him "Just the essentials" and then Wayne pulling a Lloyd Christmas and coming back from the winter meetings with a giant foam cowboy hat and a paddle ball.

Not everyone goes after the almighty dollar. Many players have taken less to either stay someplace or spurned a higher offer to play elsewhere. I believe Greg Maddux turned down the Yankees to go with a lesser offer from the Braves because he didn't want to play in NY. Our main man Jr. could have stayed in SEA for more money or went elsewhere for more money but he decided this is where he wanted to play.
    Sure, there are always instances that can be sighted. But for the most part.....

Paul Wilson accepted less to stay here.

But besides money, players also want to play for a contender and a shot at that post-season.

And keep in mind, we are talking about trying to acquire a frontline pitcher, possibly from the FA market that as far as pitching is concerned is tight as can be, meaning, teams that are in the hunt are most likely going to overpay.

Now if I am a pitcher who meets that criteria, and I have numerous teams seriously looking at me and willing to pay that top dollar (including the Reds), then I am going to look at the structure/soundness of those organizations, and go to that team that gives me the best chance of winning.

In other words - if a bigger market team, such as the NY's, Boston's, LA's, Chicago's, offer me a similar deal as a Cincy, Pittsburgh, or K.C., I'm probably not going to end up in Cincy. Unless of course there is something particular about Cincy that I really like..... like my Dad played for the BRM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

And hearing the above quote has me very, very excited about this postseason and the coming years.

Of course, that probably doesn't make me very cool or witty.
    I agree, but.....Welcome to the Optimist Club you blind, neandering fool!

If you want Barry Zito, it will take approximately a six year contract worth around 70 million.

What did you say Mr Castellini?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If you want Barry Zito, it will take approximately a six year contract worth around 70 million.

What did you say Mr Castellini?
    And he will probably get something similar to that offered by a few teams. I just sincerely doubt, looking at his options, that he would chose the Reds from that lot. So if that were to happen, would that be Castellini's fault?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And he will probably get something similar to that offered by a few teams. I just sincerely doubt, looking at his options, that he would chose the Reds from that lot. So if that were to happen, would that be Castellini's fault?
    Nah. The Reds could add someone among the likes of Schimdt, Padilla and even Eaton. Finding a closer is the key. There aren't any available with the exception of Gagne. If the Reds are going to trade for one, who do you deal? Dunn? Harang? Arroyo? The rest of the roster doesn't have that much trade desire.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Nah. Finding a closer is the key. There aren't any available with the exception of Gagne.
    Kerry Wood, Octavio Dotel, and even Joe Borowski are available to close and wouldn't cost the Reds anything in terms of talent.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I have condidence in the front office trying to add to the teams performance, after all they signed a big TV contract this year! Castellini has already shown more interest than any recent owners so I take that as a good sign. Too often and too accurately it's been pointed out here on RedsZone that it's really just business and entertainment it's not dog eat dog. So right or wrong by anyone here money is the bottom line.... sigh. We could argue that winning teams mean more money but that's been brought up in a zillion threads that could be brought back from the dead too.

So,I, as always, say clean out the expensive outfielders and spend any spare money on starting pitching. Good pitching beats good hitting. Keep Freel for the thrills. Fix Larue. If Dunn is going to be kept contract him to use a dietician and his speed and fielding will probably take care of themselves. He's a ball player not a line backer. Teach Phillips to seriously focus on his fielding and throwing, he's got the rest. I think they should keep Hatteberg. Hopper has promise but I can't be trusted on that, I sat in Left field in Louisville and liked what I saw in one game, big deal.

Back to the original question..... yes I do trust them.

Just because they are going to aggressively pursue players and open up the checkbook, doesn't mean said players will help.

I give you Exhibits 1 and 2

:wilson: :milton:
    I think there is a fair chance that Jason Schmidt and Ted Lilly might just help this team.

I would also like to see the Reds go after Jose Guillen
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume....

... Crash Positions?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?