Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 76

Thread: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

  1. #46
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    I've never been more happier to see a FA list like that for the Reds (Reds players that filed)

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,359

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    If the Reds have 25 million to play with, they could possibly go for shortstop Alex Gonzalez or second baseman Adam Kennedy. As for starting pitchers, Jason Schimdt might be out of their price range but Adam Eaton, Randy Wolf, Vincete Padilla could be in their range. Closers? I could see this team gambling on Eric Gagne with a one year deal loaded with incentives.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  4. #48
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If the Reds have 25 million to play with, they could possibly go for shortstop Alex Gonzalez or second baseman Adam Kennedy. As for starting pitchers, Jason Schimdt might be out of their price range but Adam Eaton, Randy Wolf, Vincete Padilla could be in their range. Closers? I could see this team gambling on Eric Gagne with a one year deal loaded with incentives.
    I am concerned after seeing some of Mr. K's pitching last year that he might focus on Meche of Seattle or Redman of KC, maybe they could help but, he can do better depending on what the competition by the other clubs does to effect his efforts.

  5. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Why do some people assume that just beacuse they did not up the payroll during August....that it means he really is just talking, just to talk?

    How does getting overpriced....non-performing talent during the trade deadline equate to not really wanting to enlarge the payroll?

    So just make a trade for some overpriced stiff ....at the cost of more talent in the minors that they can afford to give away?

    So if PHI offered Abrue and Lidle for Homer, Votto, Denorfia and Wood...you would have said OK?

  6. #50
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Why do some people assume that just beacuse they did not up the payroll during August....that it means he really is just talking, just to talk?

    How does getting overpriced....non-performing talent during the trade deadline equate to not really wanting to enlarge the payroll?

    So just make a trade for some overpriced stiff ....at the cost of more talent in the minors that they can afford to give away?

    So if PHI offered Abrue and Lidle for Homer, Votto, Denorfia and Wood...you would have said OK?
    The NYY got Abreu and Lidle for much, much less than that. It's not even a contest. If PHI offered Abreu and Lidle for 4 fringe guys in the minors (say BJ Szymanski is the best of the bunch), would you have said OK?

  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Yes i would have.

    BJ and the Bear......and whoever was not named Bruce, Votto, Bailey and Wood.

  8. #52
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Quote Originally Posted by 37red View Post
    Teach Phillips to seriously focus on his fielding and throwing, he's got the rest.


    he's the best fielder the Reds have.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  9. #53
    Member CougarQuest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bright, Indiana USA
    Posts
    5,573

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    For some reason, I think there will be a lot of trades this winter involving the Reds. The kinds Krusty dreams of.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

  10. #54
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Yes i would have.

    BJ and the Bear......and whoever was not named Bruce, Votto, Bailey and Wood.
    Then that would have equated to what NY gave for them. I didn't expect WK to go and get them, but Lieber or Maddux wouldn't have hurt.

  11. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Jpup, I think you're right. My point was that if he can be coached to seriously concentrate and focus on his fielding and throwing every single time it comes to him he's headed for some real numbers. It seems to me that sometimes he's just not ready and he blunders a play that he's sooo capable of making. I think he's great, I'd like to see him digging in and pouncing on every ball like I've seen him do. Some fabulous woman must be up in the seats across from him, and of course, we all know being distracted from the game won't do.

  12. #56
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    "Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

    "Absolutely," Castellini said, without hesitation. "Absolutely."
    Mr. Castellini,

    I know that it is still early, but, something is looking strangely familiar and I am starting to worry about your assertion above.

  13. #57
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    The next person who says the Red's need an experienced closer is going to make me a million times. Most closers are failed starters and who have sopme gas and a secondary pitch. To spend excessively on one is beyond stupid unless your a dead certain lock to win or compete for the World Series. Only 2 worth $$$$$ are Rivera and to a lesser extent Billy Wagner.

    How about being realistic? What a novel thought, don't ya think ? Fill the shortstop gap and need for a outfielder with power and average. A starting pitcher who can produce 190 innings plus, solid reserve players who can be pressed into starting duty if necessary and what the hell a 2 more guys for the pen with the high emphasis on 1 being a 4 million solid mid reliever. Seems odd you say? Do not kid yourself come playoff time if we are not in contention the Majik's and Claussen's of this ilk can net a serious loot of prospects when it comes down to the fish or cut bait time.

    I am realistic and realize the Red's future has to come from inner development, unlike some who bash I rejoice in our boys and hope for a magical season but the answer is not thru free agency it is thru what we can develop for us and trade to fill in the gaps.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  14. #58
    You know his story Redsland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    7,714

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Agreed. First a pitcher, then a shortstop.

    (That is, now that we've already gotten the Bubba Crosby signing out of the way.)
    Makes all the routine posts.

  15. #59
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,659

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Mr. Castellini,

    I know that it is still early, but, something is looking strangely familiar and I am starting to worry about your assertion above.
    There is a huge difference though between aggressively pursuing player(s) and getting those players signed.

    I know it will be interpreted as making excuses for this FO by some (so be it); but the competition within that market, especially this year's, is great.

    Fine..... we would like to see the Reds pursue so-and-so. How many other teams are also aggressively pursuing that player(s)?

    Is a FO's efforts then deemed insincere, or the owner lying, because even after the most aggressive of efforts they weren't able to win the bidding sweepstakes over a player(s)?

    And as Spitball said on another thread (basically).... alot of teams don't jump into the winter market right away until after initial moves are made over the big name FA's, and the dust has kind of settled.

    Before the FA season even began, and players names were being thrown around, what teams were being mentioned as viable contenders/spenders for those players?.... LA, Boston, NY (Mets and Yank).

    Lets revisit this thread in about 2-3 months, and then take a look-see back at WHO is throwing/spending all the money at players. For the most part it's the same handful of organizations that can do so.

    Hypothetically - the Reds could be real aggressive/serious in going after a Barry Zito. But if you were Barry, and you know the cards are stacked in your favor and you can pretty much dictate where you want to play and for how much..... would Cincy even be in the equation?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  16. #60
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    In the Ether
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Agreed. First a pitcher, then a shortstop.

    (That is, now that we've already gotten the Bubba Crosby signing out of the way.)

    I was thinking Zito and Soriano. Soriano plays second and Phillips moves to SS...Zito, Arroyo, Harang...That's a really nice 1,2,3. Mmmmmmmm.

    "Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25