Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

Re: Mr. Castellini Reportedly, Said The Fans Should Assume

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There is a huge difference though between aggressively pursuing player(s) and getting those players signed.

I know it will be interpreted as making excuses for this FO by some (so be it); but the competition within that market, especially this year's, is great.

Fine..... we would like to see the Reds pursue so-and-so. How many other teams are also aggressively pursuing that player(s)?

Is a FO's efforts then deemed insincere, or the owner lying, because even after the most aggressive of efforts they weren't able to win the bidding sweepstakes over a player(s)?

And as Spitball said on another thread (basically).... alot of teams don't jump into the winter market right away until after initial moves are made over the big name FA's, and the dust has kind of settled.

Before the FA season even began, and players names were being thrown around, what teams were being mentioned as viable contenders/spenders for those players?.... LA, Boston, NY (Mets and Yank).

Lets revisit this thread in about 2-3 months, and then take a look-see back at WHO is throwing/spending all the money at players. For the most part it's the same handful of organizations that can do so.

Hypothetically - the Reds could be real aggressive/serious in going after a Barry Zito. But if you were Barry, and you know the cards are stacked in your favor and you can pretty much dictate where you want to play and for how much..... would Cincy even be in the equation?
    Please tell me Greg, that you are not trying to make me accountable for what Castellini was reported as having said. I take the man at his word, I have faith in the man, I believe and interpret him literally.

Mr. Castellini made that statement in connection with a comparison to their improving the broadcast team, and he assured them that the Reds team would also be improved. The key words are not the usage of the term "agressive", they are what they imply that Castellini "absolutely" intends to improve this team, it implys that he has every intention of improving this team.

I realize that players have a choice, I realize that other organizations purchase these entertainers services. Remember Curt Flood, remember when Rose left the Reds, it has been going on for a long time.

In management it is not about lying, it is about whether the mangement team can get the job done or not.

If I was Barry I would go play for Lou in that Chicago market.

It is still early, don't panic, give Castellini and Krivsky a chance. Absolutely we shall see.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 11-16-2006 at 11:34 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Liar
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

pants on fire.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

They aggressively pursued free agents, but what we didn't know was the FA's we'd aggressively pursue were Chad Moeller and Jeff Conine.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    They aggressively pursued free agents, but what we didn't know was the FA's we'd aggressively pursue were Chad Moeller and Jeff Conine.

True, I should have realized the Chad Moeller was the big free agent Cast was talking about.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

OTOH, I don;t think anyone had any idea the amount of money that would be thrown to FA's this winter. I think it was pretty clear from the start that the Reds wouldn't be players for any of the major free agents and with the contracts that were thrown out there I can't say I'm that disappointed. I would have liked to see them get some mid range guys like David Delucci and Craig Wilson though as that may have allowed them to trade Freel for a pitcher.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    "Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

"Absolutely," Castellini said, without hesitation. "Absolutely."
    I had forgotten all about this thread.

Never realized at the time his words would turn out so misleading.

Looks his words might be invalid for several years or seasons to come.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-07-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Anyone under 2 million and over 35 is fair game, lets be reasonable.

Kenny Williams said the market cost too much for the White Sox. Think about that for a seconds. They are the White Sox, and we are the Reds. We also spent more money them then in the offseason.

I don't know why you would have an issue with the amount of money spent. I think one could have an issue on who it was spent on.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Curious to know also which FA's did they have initial talks with that never materialized in a deal?

Would any of the FA's that have been signed so far for the money they signed been a good investment for this team?

If so, which one and why?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Not to parse words, but BCast answered absolutely when asked, "Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

Since we don't know how agressivley we persued anybody I don't think it's reasonable to assume they didn't.

We can question the results of their efforts, and I certinally do, but I don't think there is any evidence other than speculation to say they didn't persue players "agressivley".

Again, I understand I'm parsing words.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I never realized 70 days was the drop dead date for promises made to fans.

Depends on the type of fan that you are, I guess. It's pretty obvious to me that the free agent pool is weak and expensive. Meaningful trades sometimes take time to construct.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Kenny Williams said the market cost too much for the White Sox. Think about that for a seconds. They are the White Sox, and we are the Reds. We also spent more money them then in the offseason.

I don't know why you would have an issue with the amount of money spent. I think one could have an issue on who it was spent on.

I don't have any issues with the investors money within the Reds organization, Castellini is the one that made the remarks, it is he who is to be accountable for them, not I. Perhaps he should have been better informed and aware of the potential changes in his business before making such exaggerations.

I would suggest that he do his homework the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I never realized 70 days was the drop dead date for promises made to fans.
    Is that my fault?

Turn Off Ads?