Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mets' Guillermo Mota suspended for 50 games

Haunted by walks

Mets' Guillermo Mota suspended for 50 games

NEW YORK (AP) Reliever Guillermo Mota was suspended for 50 games Wednesday for violating Major League Baseball's drug policy.

The 33-year-old pitcher finished this season with the New York Mets and filed for free agency Tuesday. His suspension will take effect at the start of next season.

"I have no one to blame but myself," Mota said. "I used extremely poor judgment and deserve to be held accountable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mets' Guillermo Mota suspended for 50 games

Well, at least he fessed up to it and didnt try to say its a mistake, or something that was in his vitamins.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    "I have no one to blame but myself," Mota said. "I used extremely poor judgment and deserve to be held accountable.
    Finally a player takes responsibility for his actions. I don't applaud his actions, but I applaud him for owning up to his actions.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Agreed, a player standing up and saying he was wrong? shocking.
    Go Gators!

Pretty vague, maybe it was recreational?

If a vague definition protects the players rights then it will raise future complications in the assumption department. What happens when someone pulls a Rick Leach and gets an AP wire like this? Will everyone assume steroids? or will they even ponder other substances?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

If a vague definition protects the players rights then it will raise future complications in the assumption department. What happens when someone pulls a Rick Leach and gets an AP wire like this? Will everyone assume steroids? or will they even ponder other substances?

If it's not steroids, wouldn't they just go for treatment or something like that? I'm not quite up on the changes they made to the drug agreement but I thought that steroids was an automatic suspension and other drugs just gave you a warning if you went to treatment.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Well, that's gonna hurt come FA time....Yikes.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

With the way he pitched in the playoffs, I'd say he got ripped off.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Agreed, a player standing up and saying he was wrong? shocking.
    Here here. Put this in contrast with "Big Mac". BTW our congressmen gave him a bit of a pass--had I heard the "I'm here to talk about the future" line as a congressman, I would have said, "No, Mr. McGwire I will TELL you why you are here: you have been subpoenad by the United States Congress to testify about potential criminal activity in Major League Baseball. We will determine and inform you as to your why you are here."
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

If a vague definition protects the players rights then it will raise future complications in the assumption department. What happens when someone pulls a Rick Leach and gets an AP wire like this?
    I'm not really sure what you're referring to here. Could you be more specific?

Professional tennis has a very strong drug policy including random testing at tournaments throughout the year and a two year suspension for anyone testing positive. Rick Leach has won multiple Grand Slam doubles events and was ranked number one in the world in doubles in something like twelve straight years (sometime during the season but not necessarily at the end of the season). I never heard anyone opine that he was on drugs.

Rem

Rick Leach
    The baseball player and former UM QB

Drugs of abuse are still only tested for when there is probable cause. A first time positive test for amphetamines requires mandatory evaluation and follow-up testing. Subsequent positive tests for amphetamines will carry suspensions of 25 games, 80 games and up to a lifetime ban.

The fifty game suspension tells us that it was a first time positive for a banned performance enhancing substance.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

So, would anyone want to sign him for the Reds? He's a cheater, but an honest one.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

The baseball player and former UM QB
    Oh. Him. Some of us don't pay much attention to UM football.

Still don't understand what you mean when you say "....pulls a Rick Leach...".

Rem

So can this guy pitch in the minors while he's on suspension?Better yet i'm sure he'll pitch in the Dominican for the time being.

Turn Off Ads?