Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Review of Deno

Wanted: Review of Deno

It seems there is a solid contingent of RedsZoners who support Chris Denorfia as a valuable asset to the Reds. Having very limited access to watching him play this season, I am looking for responses, both positive and negative, that describe his talents both in the field and at the plate. Would you feel comfortable with him in a starting role?

Maybe you can offer a comparison to a more established player in the league.

Thanks for your help.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wanted: Review of Deno

Brady Clark is the instant comparable.

Over the last two years Deno has put up a 900 ops in AAA. That's about what Clark did during his age 27 season.

Clark didn't snif the major league roster till he was 27. Denorfia will be 27 next year.

Clark doesn't have any single outstanding part of his game, but he does several things well. Likewise Denorfia doesn't have any one skill that makes the scouts go wowzers.

Clark's minor league numbers are slightly better. Deno was younger at each step of the way. Deno shows a bit more power.

At the major league level Denorfia looked absolutely lost at the plate last year. I simply cannot imagine how he generated those AAA power numbers with the swing he was using at GAB, but I'm a numbers guy, so I don't know what to make of that or if it's correctable.

Clark got to the majors far too late to be a star, but he has hammered out a decent career for himself and been a decent use of a major league roster spot over the last four years. Denorfia isn't going to be a star of any kind, but he could have a Ryan Freel type run that could keep him in the majors for a good long while.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Basically:
    - Average to above average contact
    - Above average plate discipline
    - Above average speed
    - Below average power
    - Top flight defense

Some names that are similar are Brady Clark, Freel, Melky Cabrera.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

At the major league level Denorfia looked absolutely lost at the plate last year.
    Don't know if you meant 06 or 05. But in 06, he finished great with a final month of .352 avg/ .407 obp/ .463 slg.

He finished the year at .284/.360/.363 despite being lost after the first callup. I'm thinking it was just a brief adjustment period.

He has a good swing that stays through the zone for days. Hits a lot of linedrives because of that. Generates a lot power through his lower body and hips. Fast, great fielder (ranked best in AAA by Baseball America). He did have a couple mental lapses in Cincy, hopefully that was a sign of nerves or just not being comfortable yet with his other fielders (communication mix-up between he and Phillips)

I wouldn't mind him starting or as the 4th OF. A good asset off the bench if necessary.

This past season has proven to me that solid defense is an overlooked and undervalued asset. With Deno's defensive accolades, I would welcome his addition to the starting lineup. Do his speed and great fielding abilities also come with a strong arm?
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

I keep thinking of Mark Kotsay. Nothing spectacular, but solid.

There could be worse people to run out 140+ games in CF than Deno.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Deno is half god, concepted from one of Odin's "encounters" years ago. He doesn't like to show it off, but every once inawhile you see those godly powers.........

Oh, Deno the baseball player? Nice skill set and looked to get comfortable at the plate the last 15-20 games.

Deno is similar to Clark. I think he would do fine if given the chance. He has a nice skill set, now he justs needs the opportunity to get comfortable and relax.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Deno is currently playing with the Leones del Escogido of the DR Winter League (as is Joey Votto).

I'll put up some numbers when they have some more PT (only like 40 ABs so far).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Man Pills

Deno is probably more Freel than Clark. A little less pop than Clark, a little more in the BB/OB category. A bit more than Clark in the SB department, too. Kind of strikes me as a Freel clone.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-02-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    This past season has proven to me that solid defense is an overlooked and undervalued asset. With Deno's defensive accolades, I would welcome his addition to the starting lineup. Do his speed and great fielding abilities also come with a strong arm?
    In 2004, BA ranked him as the best outfield arm. Jay Bruce took that title last season, but I would say he has a strong arm.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Deno is becoming my favorite player...

He has a 2.500 OPS when I'm in attendance (1.000 BA/OBP. 1.500 SLG).

Still can't stand the socks...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

...love the socks!

I'm ok with Deno starting out the season in CF, if there is no one else coming in to take the position. I think that's his only spot if a starter, as he doesn't have enough pop for a corner position, as mentioned above. Also, his ultimate role, if he flunks one more audition, is as a 4th OF'er. No shame in that at all!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If Deno can OPS in the .775 range and play Gold Glove defense, he's an above average major league CF. I know he has to prove it first, but honestly, it's not like we have better options.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-02-2006 at 06:47 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In 2004, BA ranked him as the best outfield arm. Jay Bruce took that title last season, but I would say he has a strong arm.
    He has the best OF on the Reds roster. That includes Freel. JR in LF, Deno in CF and Freel in RF will cover A LOT of ground and make all the plays. Proper throws, outfield angles, ability to go over either shoulder.... Good scenario if both Freel and Deno can be consistent.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?