Turn Off Ads?

Thread: offseason priorities!

offseason priorities!

Well its the offseason, and until FA starts baseball is on the back burner, so I'm trying to gage other's interests in what are our top 5 priorities this offseason, for us to be contender's in 07. So here goes:

1)Who plays RF?
    ----I like David Delucci(PHI)

2)Who plays SS?
    ----I sign Alex Gonzalez(BOS) to platoon with Castro

3)Who becomes Closer?
    ----I think Kyle Lohse can be our closer.

4)Who is #3 starter?
    ----Ted Lilly(Tor) lefty who shores up the rotation

5)Who improves the Bench?
    ---I go hard out of the gate and sign Wes Helms(Fla) he can play 1b/3b/of

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: offseason priorities!

I like delucci, not as crazy about gonzalez. I think phillips at short and freel at second would work pretty well. Lohse might make a nice closer but somewhat risky. Lilly is going to get way overpaid. Not worth the money and not a good fit in our ball park.

I wouldn't mind Delucci, Helms or Lilly. No way on Lohse as the closer. I'd hope Wayne can do better than Gonzalez as well.

Improving the defense should [at least marginally] improve the staff. Two birds, one stone.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

1)Who plays RF?
    ----I like Aubrey Huff

2)Who plays 2B?
    ----I'd go with Luis Castillo

3)Who becomes Closer?
    ----I wouldn't mind bringing back Schoeneweis to close.

4)Who is #3 starter?
    ----Got to go with Adam Eaton

---David Delucci.. Could start if some guy named Dunn gets moved.. then I'd bring in Jose Cruz Jr.

Assuming no big trade:

1)Who plays RF?
    ---- Dunn in left. Denorfia in CF. Griffey in RF vs righties. Freel in RF vs lefties. Freel fills in at 2b/3b/lf/cf so he starts 4-5 days a week.

2)Who plays 2B?
    ----Castillo or Loretta

3)Who becomes Closer?
    ----We sign a free agent reliever who is above average ( Justin Speier,
    Trever Miller, Solomon Torres, Chad Bradford, etc ) then we put the job up for grabs in spring training.

4)Who is #3 starter?
    ----Zito or more likely Tomo Ohka

---Aurillia is resigned or if he becomes too expensive sign Wes Helms, Phil Nevin or Craig Wilson.

As I peruse the 2006-2007 free agents I find a lot of junk. Wayne has his work cut out for him.

Ive usually just been a reader, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents

1)Who plays RF?
    ----Freel/Denofria/Griffey will somehow fill the RF/CF spots

2)Who plays 2B?
    ----Sign Mark DeRosa

3)Who becomes Closer?
    ----If we go Free Agency then we could sign either Joe Borowski or Dan Kolb. I say try to make a trade. My idea is with the Angels to get set-up guy Scott Shields (2.87 ERA, 31 Holds) and put him in in the 9th. Maybe the Angels could throw in a young Shortstop.

4)Who is #3 starter?
    ----If we go Free Agency, the best realistic option in my opinion is Gil Meche. Again, I would rather go with a trade. Maybe one of Detroit's leftovers (Bonderman, Robertson, Maroth, or Miner)

---Here's an interesting name ... Kevin Millar. Maybe he and Bronson can bring a 2004 Boston "Idiot" spirit to Cincinnati! And if not ... then at least he can switch with Hatty at 1B and sometimes play a corner outfield spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
    ---Here's an interesting name ... Kevin Millar. Maybe he and Bronson can bring a 2004 Boston "Idiot" spirit to Cincinnati! And if not ... then at least he can switch with Hatty at 1B and sometimes play a corner outfield spot.
    Welcome. Millar is a good idea for the platoon.

Here's Mine

Who Plays RF?

Griffey with Deno in CF

Who Plays 2B?

Freel with Brendon Harris or Brandon Phillips with Macier Izturis or a similar acquisition at SS.

Who Becomes Closer?

My wish is that the Reds use money to take on contracts that have a couple years left and not blow it on long term signings. I would take on Kyle Farnsworth if the Yankees are dumping. If not, I try Speier but he may be tough to get.

Who is #3 Starter?

Aaron Heilman, Kevin Correia or Horacio Ramirez would be my reasonably priced trade targets. If I splurge on a Free Agent, then I like Padilla better than Lilly. Wolfe would be ok if less than $6 Million per year for say 3 years.

Who Improves the bench?

Scott Hatteberg. The Reds go get some one to play 1B for a year or less until Votto is ready. I Like Luis Gonzalez. If I platoon with Hat or Votto, I like Eduardo Perez or Tigs idea of Millar.

Tigs & mth

1. Denorfia is still unproven so pencilling him in as an everyday CF with no backup plan could be bad

2. Griffey can't hit lefties ( look at his 2006 stats ) & can't stay healthy for 162 games so IMO we need to be platooning someone in RF with Griffey

3. Votto should arrive mid 2007 pushing Hatteberg and his right handed hitting platoon partner to the bench. Since Hatteberg can only play 1b it would be prudent to find a right handed hitting platon partner who can play other positions ( ie Aurillia 1b/2b/3b or Craig Wilson 1b/OF )

4. Who Plays 2B? Brandon Phillips with Macier Izturis or a similar acquisition at SS.

This plan is the best I think. Some deal with the Angels for Izturis or Aybar is better than the junky free agent 2B on the market.

5. Aaron Heilman - why would the Mets trade him? Pedro is hurt. Galvine, Traschel & el duqe are free agents.

Kevin Correia - i don't know much about him

Horacio Ramirez - i'll defer to your judgement. Is he really any better than Lohse?

"If I splurge on a Free Agent, then I like Padilla better than Lilly. Wolfe would be ok if less than $6 Million per year for say 3 years."
    Lilly is a fly ball pitcher. Great for the Nationals , not so great for the Reds.
    I think all these middle of the road free agents will get big fat contracts.

6. who Improves the bench?

when Votto arrives the 1b platooners go to the bench

Re: Tigs & mth

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    1. Denorfia is still unproven so pencilling him in as an everyday CF with no backup plan could be bad

2. Griffey can't hit lefties ( look at his 2006 stats ) & can't stay healthy for 162 games so IMO we need to be platooning someone in RF with Griffey
    Freel is probably the fall back for both spots. In a perfect world I agree, but this seems less a priority with other things needing done. I think Griffey will play 120 games. Maybe Millar or Perez help out. Or Gonzalez if that is the route.

3. Votto should arrive mid 2007 pushing Hatteberg and his right handed hitting platoon partner to the bench. Since Hatteberg can only play 1b it would be prudent to find a right handed hitting platon partner who can play other positions ( ie Aurillia 1b/2b/3b or Craig Wilson 1b/OF )
    The sooner the better for Votto. Solid point about getting a versatile guy, but Rich just isn't going to come back unless its as an everyday player IMO. Wilson isn't really versatile, he just isn't a good defender anywhere. Dunn and Griffey are both better OF. I like his bat though and would take him at 1B. I still like Gonzalez best with Hat on the bench. Gonzo could help in the OF with Hat getting a little time to rest Griffey or Dunn as well. Its a lot of lefty hitters though.

4. Who Plays 2B? Brandon Phillips with Macier Izturis or a similar acquisition at SS.

This plan is the best I think. Some deal with the Angels for Izturis or Aybar is better than the junky free agent 2B on the market.
    I prefer this as well but if my choice is trade top talent for Aybar or spare parts for Izturis, I take Izturis.

5. Aaron Heilman - why would the Mets trade him? Pedro is hurt. Galvine, Traschel & el duqe are free agents.

Kevin Correia - i don't know much about him

Horacio Ramirez - i'll defer to your judgement. Is he really any better than Lohse?

"If I splurge on a Free Agent, then I like Padilla better than Lilly. Wolfe would be ok if less than $6 Million per year for say 3 years."
    Lilly is a fly ball pitcher. Great for the Nationals , not so great for the Reds.
    I think all these middle of the road free agents will get big fat contracts.
    I don't think the Mets like Heilman. He wants to start and won't be happy in the pen and the Mets pretty much showed in 2006 that they will never let him start. They didn't give him a chance when Jose Lima and Dave Williams and the like were getting the ball. He needs to move on and I don't think it will take that much. If the Mets want more than I suspect, then maybe he isn't an option. They sure act like they don't want him in the rotation and he doesn't want to be in the bullpen. I think the Mets will spend major bucks to get a couple guys and Glavine will probably be back. With Maine and Pelfrey around Heilman is the odd man out.

Correia is in a similar situation and has a hard sinker. There is a thread "Under the Radar" (I'm not computer smart enough to link) where 11BarryLarkin11 gives a good report on Correia and its a better job than I could do. That particular poster convinced me.

Ramirez is still young and the Braves are considering moving him. He's a gamble but the Reds need to make those kinds of acquisitions. Low Risk High Potential Reward. I like the buy low theory a lot myself and guys who were hyped and stumble are usually the best value. But sometimes you get Rob Bell (who tuned in to EE BTW).

I agree the free agents will be expensive. I am not really up for this, but if they splurge I like Padilla best. He has pitched in similar parks in Philly and Texas and I think he would perform in GABP the most like he has historically. The others could go way south in GABP IMO. When paying for Padilla's numbers they are the same as you would likely continue to get after the contract as well. I think the other guys will command money based on the numbers they have, but fall off in GABP. Wolf has pitched in Philly so I like him ok as well. If his recent injury keeps his price down he could be a find in his second year back.

6. who Improves the bench?

when Votto arrives the 1b platooners go to the bench

Agreed.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-03-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Turn Off Ads?