Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Brook Jacoby new Reds Hitting coach

Re: Brook Jacoby new Red's Hitting coach

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    So guys who rely mostly on hitting prowess/power to get on base slow down around 33 and those who can get on base via other methods along with hitting (and corespondingly have higher IsoD) can continue to be productive longer because basically they are more paitient at the plate (ie. can get more walks, can work the count, wait for "their" pitch, etc) ? That's a grose simplification but is what I am getting out of your post.

I'm assuming that the low IsoD slow down because they start to loose that ability to consitantly use hits to get on base. Basically, their bodies start to slow down and they can't get the hits they did when they were younger.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the help.
    I think Rick covered it pretty well. Basically, as the bat slows down, hitters need to make adjustments. Those with better IsoD rates tend to have better residual pitch recognition skill sets, which makes the necessary adjustments easier.

And Rick did some good research on the Jeff Kent comp. There are differences, of course- Kent manifested a better minor league IsoD (about 100 points) more consistently and his IsoD was about 40 points ahead of Young's. It took Kent a while to demonstrate that ability in the Show, however, as he didn't produce acceptable BB rates until age 31 (which was immediately after he first broke the 30 HR barrier).

Young didn't have terrible minor league BB rates (1 BB/9.08 AB) so it's possible that he may have the ability to, as his bat slows, do better in that area. However, I'd also suggest that Kent is most likely a bit beyond Young's highest 33+ age ceiling. Maybe more of a Kent/Aurilia hybrid. Not a bad guy to have around, but that's probably also a "best case" scenario.

Considering everything, I'd be looking to move Young for pitching if I were the Rangers. Pretty attractive bat hides some of his fielding deficiencies, a team can slot him at 2B if they like, and he's got a really decent contract (3.5 M in 2007, club option @4 M for 2008 <up to 5 M with incentives>). Offer that up to any number of clubs with SS or 2B holes, and you might just be able to get a pretty sweet return.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brook Jacoby new Red's Hitting coach

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Have you ever seen Young at SS? He's no better than Lopez - and possibly worse.
    I don' think he is any worse, and from an offensive standpoint his production numbers are quite impressive and consistent for the last 4 years. Now put him hitting half the time at GAB.

Other then Dunn, no other Red has put up the kind of consistent offensive numbers on this current squad as Young has done. Check them out.

And I am not advocating going after Young, though it sure wouldn't upset me to have him at 2B with BP at SS, simply for his addition to this offense.

But I was simply stating that if I had a choice between him and Lopez, I'd take Young in a heartbeat.

I am not a fan of Lopez, and don't think he is going to get any better. I'm not shedding any tears he is gone.

One player (Young) has shown something on the field, and consistently so for the last 4 years, while everyone is still waiting for the other (Lopez) to live up to this "potential".

I was also simply disagreeing with Steele's contention that Young has somehow regressed.

And being 30 years old is not ancient and soon to be over the hill.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-07-2006 at 09:08 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Re: Brook Jacoby new Reds Hitting coach

Things to consider:

1. The effect of steroids has to have had an effect on aging patterns.
    2. Lopez age works for him as it relates to range (at least a holding pattern) whereas Young range can only get worse.
    3. Has anyone mentioned Young playing in the best hitter's park in the AL?
    4. I'm of the opinion that low IsO players are more effected by high park factors than high IsO players.

If any of this has been mentioned i apologize --trying to work on a project and read Redzone.

Turn Off Ads?