Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brook Jacoby new Reds Hitting coach

Re: Brook Jacoby new Reds Hitting coach

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Which all points to what we are told was the reason Chambliss was fired and the real reason(s) he was canned. He was also fired by the Yankees. That is the trouble with message boards. Folks make dogmatic judgments on tales from the crypt.
    It's called "scapegoating", tr. Pure and simple.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    It's called "scapegoating", tr. Pure and simple.
    Turd. Hill. Gravity.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Re: Brook Jacoby new Red's Hitting coach

We did. His name is Felipe Lopez.
    Now that is regression. The guy had one really solid season (2005).

Lopez couldn't carry Young's glove as far as consistent performance at the SS position over the last few years IMO.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Now that is regression. The guy had one really solid season (2005).

Lopez couldn't carry Young's glove as far as consistent performance at the SS position over the last few years IMO.
    Prior to 2006, Lopez only HAD one full season and was shipped off to one of the most severe pitching parks in the game. That kinda' skews the numbers.

And methinks you drastically overestimate Young's fielding performance. He's been near the bottom of any number of defensive lists ever since he acquired the position. He was worse than Lopez in 2005.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Prior to 2006, Lopez only HAD one full season and was shipped off to one of the most severe pitching parks in the game. That kinda' skews the numbers.

And methinks you drastically overestimate Young's fielding performance. He's been near the bottom of any number of defensive lists ever since he acquired the position. He was worse than Lopez in 2005.
    Steel... Who would you rather have at SS? Lopez or Young? I am not sure. I like Young's ability with the bat much better than Lopez but I'm not sold on him as a Short Stop. What is your opinion?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

imo, young is a worse fielder than lopez (that ain't easy)....

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Steel... Who would you rather have at SS? Lopez or Young? I am not sure. I like Young's ability with the bat much better than Lopez but I'm not sold on him as a Short Stop. What is your opinion?
    Young's got the better offensive performance history with the bat, but he's also 30 years old. Got a couple good seasons left with the stick. Lopez is 3.5 years younger and still has a lot of unrealized potential and is moving into his age-prime years. But I wouldn't be playing either at Short.

--Ted Williams

Young's got the better offensive performance history with the bat, but he's also 30 years old. Got a couple good seasons left with the stick. Lopez is 3.5 years younger and still has a lot of unrealized potential and is moving into his age-prime years. But I wouldn't be playing either at Short.
    We're on the same wave length on this one. I really liked Young as a 2B. I just do not see him as the above average SS that he needs to be for the Rangers. Young certainly can swing the stick with 4 consecutive 200+ hit seasons. Hitting .300 and getting 200+ hits is no fluke. However, he also led the league in Outs which can present it's own set of problems when you do not walk very much. Lopez is still trying to find a measure of consistency in his short career. Young has him beat there by a good margin as you mentioned. Lopez's success will come with AB's and another season under his belt. I believe he has one year left to make himself into a bonafide ML SS.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

At 3 Mil/Yr (his current salary), I would take Young in a heartbeat if having to choose between him and Lopez.

And respectfully, I'm not buying this "unrealized" potential in Felipe Lopez. At some point that "potential" needs to translate into consistent performance, and I just haven't seen it with Felipe, and his time is growing short.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

What is the age when players stats start trailing off rapidly? I would guess it to be 34-35 but Steel's implying that it happens at 32 (unless I am missreading it).

Do players skills, on average, fall off after age 32? If so, that is much younger than I would have supposed.

Does anyone happen to have any data on this.....................(he asks with a grin)? I'm asking serriously because now I'm currious.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    What is the age when players stats start trailing off rapidly? I would guess it to be 34-35 but Steel's implying that it happens at 32 (unless I am missreading it).

Do players skills, on average, fall off after age 32? If so, that is much younger than I would have supposed.

Does anyone happen to have any data on this.....................(he asks with a grin)? I'm asking serriously because now I'm currious.
    There may be a statistic out there to give you an average but this is one area IMO where you need to evaluate the individual. Body type, Genes, position played, injuries, etc.... I would not be surprised to see Young continue to hit the way he has until he is 34-35. I think he could be a productive 3B/DH from 36-38.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Have you ever seen Young at SS? He's no better than Lopez - and possibly worse.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

By "a couple", I mean two or three. Guys who profile like Young (low IsoD) tend to fade out a bit faster. From BP, the top 10 most comparable players are:

Johnny Logan
    Gil McDougald
    Edgar Renteria
    Bill Madlock
    Jeff Cirillo
    Barry Larkin
    Bobby Avila
    Alvin Dark
    Carney Lansford
    Ryne Sandberg

At first glance, it looks like a pretty decent list (although I question Larkin's inclusion). But drill down and you'll find a connector:

Excepting Larkin (a high IsoD hitter), the remainder of players with data past age 30 were pretty much effectively done as consistent highly-productive hitters by age 33. That doesn't mean it's sure to happen to Young, but it's just how his skill set tends to operate.

--Ted Williams

By "a couple", I mean two or three. Guys who profile like Young (low IsoD) tend to fade out a bit faster. From BP, the top 10 most comparable players are:

Excepting Larkin (a high IsoD hitter), the remainder of players with data past age 30 were pretty much effectively done as consistent highly-productive hitters by age 33. That doesn't mean it's sure to happen to Young, but it's just how his skill set tends to operate.
    So guys who rely mostly on hitting prowess/power to get on base slow down around 33 and those who can get on base via other methods along with hitting (and corespondingly have higher IsoD) can continue to be productive longer because basically they are more paitient at the plate (ie. can get more walks, can work the count, wait for "their" pitch, etc) ? That's a grose simplification but is what I am getting out of your post.

I'm assuming that the low IsoD slow down because they start to loose that ability to consitantly use hits to get on base. Basically, their bodies start to slow down and they can't get the hits they did when they were younger.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 11-07-2006 at 11:20 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm not sure it's fair to say "players skills" in the aggregate. What's important about aging is that certain skills age differently than others. Offensively, your eye and plate discipline tends to stay good, if not improve. You also tend to get more power. However, your hands tend to slow down as well. If a player can adjust to his changing skills, he can age quite well.

Michael Young reminds me a bit of Jeff Kent. As he ages, I wouldn't be shocked to see his average drop 20-30 points but see him turn some of those 50 doubles in to homers and become a .280/.340/.500 type guy. Defensively, you lose range before any thing else. Some players can position themselves so well that they can hide the range issue (Ripken, later years Larkin). But Young is already range challenged.

Like Steel and TC, I'd not play either Lopez or Young at SS on my team. If I had to choose a guy for next year, I'd go for Young. Over the next 5, I'd go Lopez. Though if Lopez can't get his SLG back in the .450 range, I think his value goes way down.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?