Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about JR in 2007?

What about JR in 2007?

Maybe this is already being discussed somewhere....so maybe this thread can be merged or closed....if not, I am looking for some insight as to how you guys think JR will be "handled" in 2007?

My thinking is that he is no longer the leader of the middle of the order kinda guy....and in the same mold as Barry Larkin, has reached a point of negative impact.....both on defense and as a number 3 hitter.

Also, like Larkin, it appears that Narron or whoever has no heart for telling JR he is a LF who hits maybe 6th in the order.

So, based on all those insightful stats (I am serious, this is not sarcasm), where does JR best fit for the Reds in 2007?
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What about JR in 2007?

As currently constructed, in RF hitting 5th. Behind Dunn and EE.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    As currently constructed, in RF hitting 5th. Behind Dunn and EE.
    That works.. But then you will still have people complain about his numbers even with him dropped in the line-up. People will expect him to hit 30+ HR's and drive in 100 runs no matter where he bats.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If you bat 5th in any major league lineup, you are pretty much expected to hit 30 HR and knock in 100, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If you bat 5th in any major league lineup, you are pretty much expected to hit 30 HR and knock in 100, IMO.
    Griffey probably won't play enough to hit 30 HR anymore. But he still slugged ok in 2006 and was on that type of rate for the time he was in there. His problem was OBP. I would prefer he bat 6th, but the line-up is only 5 deep and that assumes you can find some one to hit second. Deno/Freel lead-off, Dunn, EE and Griffey. Maybe if Freel plays 2B with Phillips at SS you could go Freel, Deno, Dunn, EE and Griffey. Then the black holes appear. Remember, I said "as currently constructed."

I hope he bats third, for another team

If you can get 100+ games out of him, call it a success.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

10 players in the NL hit 30 HR's and drove in 100 runs or more.

Only 2 teams had 2 players do it, Phillie and NYM, and none of those players hit 5th.

I don't think any of the 10 players, in fact, hit 5th.

trade him to the AL.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I wish Junior would consider approaching Krivsky and Narron himself during the winter and request the move to make it easier for all concerned.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    where does JR best fit for the Reds in 2007?
    His best fit would be in the American League. Missing the most important month of the season with a dislocated toe was the last staw for me.

I remember Curt Schilling pitching in the World Series with blood seeping through his sock for God's sake. This year Randy Johnson had an epidural on his back because of a hurniated(sp?) disc to pitch. I'm done with Jr.:thumbdown
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    His best fit would be in the American League. Missing the most important month of the season with a dislocated toe was the last staw for me.

I remember Curt Schilling pitching in the World Series with blood seeping through his sock for God's sake. This year Randy Johnson had an epidural on his back because of a hurniated(sp?) disc to pitch. I'm done with Jr.:thumbdown

Pitcher to Outfielder,apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I wish Junior would consider approaching Krivsky and Narron himself during the winter and request the move to make it easier for all concerned.
    This would be a dream come true. If he were so inclined, he would have probably done it after the Kearns trade. RF was open and waiting and Deno was a highly regarded defensive CF. JR still thinks he can play CF like it was 1995. Until he realizes this its a problem. He won't be open to a move IMO. It isn't going to be as easy as just ordering him out of CF as many have said. Short of acquiring an all star that JR views as a better option, this will not be concluded w/o some repercussions IMO.

An unhappy JR would hurt the Reds in the eyes of other players around baseball. The premium the Reds need to pay for free agents will probably go higher w/o a peaceful conclusion. Its already high enough that the Reds probably shouldn't participate except as bottom feeders for specific role players.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This would be a dream come true. If he were so inclined, he would have probably done it after the Kearns trade. RF was open and waiting and Deno was a highly regarded defensive CF. JR still thinks he can play CF like it was 1995. Until he realizes this its a problem. He won't be open to a move IMO. It isn't going to be as easy as just ordering him out of CF as many have said. Short of acquiring an all star that JR views as a better option, this will not be concluded w/o some repercussions IMO.
    Yesterday, on another thread, I stated that this management needs to get the cahonies to confront Jr. I want to clarify that by saying I didn't necessarily mean to order him. That would be stupid. For what he has done for the game he deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T. So they need to sit down with Jr and in a diplomatic and common sense approach do so.

Last season Jr said no one has ever approached him on the subject of moving from CF. And the reason why, and I believe it is a very legit point, is that there is no one on this roster that can play CF on a everyday basis as well as he can.

And I think when Jr said that he was looking comprehensively overall, and not simply from a defensive standpoint only (as many of us are).

Unless someone wants to send to him, and translate, the Baseball Prospectus defensive correlations that show he is a terrible defensive CFer.

Why wouldn't he make that statement when the candidate being held out to replace him (Deno) hasn't really proven anything on the ML level (nothing to brag about), and is risk and/or crap shoot to many.

So I understand Jr's position. That is your only candidate?

All players deal with the issue of pride. Pride in a good sense. And for a veteran player who has accomplished as much as a Jr, then it makes it even harder. They see it as a demotion, and forcing them to see the "writing on the wall" that they don't want to come to terms with. A dealing with the inevitable.

But it is an "inevitable", for the good of the team, that must be dealt with in a respectful and diplomatic way.

But they MUST sit down with Jr, in that sense, present their case in a way that it is for the overall good of the team, while helping to maximize/benefit from his abilities and keep him in that lineup as much as possible.

He has to be made to see that.

If this FO cannot do that, with any player, then we all have a problem.

But IMHO, trying to get Jr out of CF is very similar to trying to get Larkin off of SS. It took his contract expiring to do so, and then he left with bad feelings. Could very well be the same travelled path with Jr.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-05-2006 at 07:16 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Maybe this is wrong of me, and completely out of line, so for that I apologize now, but wouldn't Griffey suffering some kind of lengthy trip to the DL injury in ST kind of solve our CF problem?

I know it's bad to root for injury, but if he physically can't play and is on at least the 15 day DL or the 60 day DL out of ST, then that has to force Narron's hand to give the keys to the CF car to Denorfia.

Turn Off Ads?