Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Offseason

My Offseason

The Offseason is here. After a good season, it is time to look to improve this ballclub so we can be true playoff contenders for next season. BCast has said that the fans should look for us to make a run at the big free agents, and I'm sure we will. But, are guys like Zito, Schmidt, Lee, or Soriano really going to want to come here, no matter how much money we throw at them? I think that in this offseason, Kriv should make some low-key, solid moves in order to fill this team's needs. No need to throw big $$ at guys like Schmidt and Zito, who might not even be worth what they will ask for. With that said, here are the offseason moves I would make if I were in Wayne's shoes.

1. Trade OF Ken Griffey Jr. to Detroit for OF Marcus Thames

This trade satisfies the needs of both teams. We need a right-handed power bat, while the Tigers need a left-handed power bat. Griffey would move around between CF and DH for Detroit, while Thames would be our RF. I think that Junior would accept a trade to Detroit because it isn't too far from his Orlando home and he has a good shot of getting his World Series ring there. We might need to agree to pay one to two-thirds of Griffey's salary to get this done.

2. Trade RP Gary Majewski, SP Kyle Lohse, and OF Javon Moran to the Mets for P Aaron Heilman

This trade also helps the needs of both teams. The Mets need both some starting and bullpen pitching, and Majek and Lohse supply that. We need a middle of the rotation starter, and Heilman is a talented young pitcher who can fill that role. Moran gives New York a nice OF prospect.

3. Sign Alex Gonzalez to play SS

Alex is a slick-fielding SS who probably won't command much money. He is also fairly young still (29). This also allows us to keep Phillips at 2B where he should be.

4. Sign RPs Chad Bradford, Alan Embree, Joe Borowski, and Scott Williamson

All of these guys should come cheap, and would really help shore up the bullpen. Borowski and Bradford would each get 2-year deals worth around 4-5 mill, while Timlin and Williamson would each get 1-year deals. Borowski would be a solid fill in at closer, while Bradford gives us a nice middle reliever and Embree gives us a hard-throwing setup man. Williamson is also a low risk, high reward type signing who could be our closer if Borowski falters.

4. Sign OF Dave Roberts to a 2-year deal

Roberts not only gives us a CF option with Junior gone, but also gives us another leadoff option other than Freel. He and Denorfia could split time in CF with Freel being a super-sub who could fill in at RF sometimes for Thames.

5. Sign 1B Phil Nevin to a 1-year deal

Phil is getting up there in age, but he still has some good power. He and Hatteberg would make a nice R-L platoon at first until Joey Votto is ready.

Now, here is what the team would look like:

CF Roberts
    2B Phillips
    LF Dunn
    3B Encarnacion
    RF Thames
    1B Hatteberg/Nevin
    C Ross
    SS Gonzalez
    P

Valentin
    Castro
    Hatteberg/Nevin
    Freel
    Denorfia

Harang
    Arroyo
    Heilman
    Milton
    Claussen/Ramirez

Belisle
    Bradford
    Cormier
    Bray
    SU- Coffey
    SU- Embree
    CL- Borowski

**Williamson starts in AAA**

So, what do you guys think? Be gentle, please...
    Last edited by VI_RedsFan; 11-04-2006 at 12:56 PM.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: My Offseason

Mike Timlin resigned with the Red Sox if I'm not mistaken.

I think that Junior would accept a trade to Detroit because it isn't too far from his Orlando home and he has a good shot of getting his World Series ring there.
    And how is Detroit Michigan close to Orlando Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post

How does a player resign? or did he re-sign?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post

And how is Detroit Michigan close to Orlando Florida?
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say that it was necessrily close to Orlando. What I meant was that it isn't that much further away than Cincinnati is, and I haven't heard Griffey complain about Cincy being too far from his home in Florida.

Yeah, I saw that Timlin re-signed. So I changed it to Embree, who would probably be a better signing because he is a lefty.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I can't see Junior excepting that deal even if going to the AL champs. It may take more than that get Aaron Heilman because he could be the center piece in a Manny Ramirez deal along with Lastings Milledge.

I like move number 2 the best. I think Majewski and Moran are a good start. The Mets actually may want Lohse as well. I think that is a good proposal.

Not sure Griffey would go to Detroit or if they want him. They won't want him in CF.

I don't like the Dave Roberts move. If you're not gonna get a power guy, may as well go with Deno and Freel.

I think Alex Gonzalez will cost more than you are thinking.

The Nevin move is not bad. He or some one like him is really needed.

The Reds have a lot of Bullpen LH and Embree isn't really needed. I like Bradford and although it isn't my first choice I would be ok with he and Coffey splitting the 8th and 9th. I think the Reds may have a few more guys in AA that will help here. I'd gamble on Williamson for an incentive laden deal. Borowski would probably cost too much. He has closed and there are more teams than the Reds looking.

Overall its an ok plan. Getting Heilman and Bradford would really help IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-04-2006 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    It may take more than that get Aaron Heilman because he could be the center piece in a Manny Ramirez deal along with Lastings Milledge.
    I don't believe that. The centerpiece is moving Manny's contract. The Sox wouldn't insist on Heilman and could rework the deal. The Mets don't like Heilman IMO.

Gonzalez signing I could see but I think what he might be asking in free agency, the Reds will sign a second baseman and shift Phillips to shortstop.

Other than that, I don't see Junior accepting a trade when he knows Castanelli and Krivsky wants to win just as much as Detroit. Cincy is his hometown and with 10-5 rights, he holds the upper hand.

Roberts and Nevin make good bench players but as everyday players I would pass.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I'd like to update my offseason thoughts. Actually these is almost an entire different moves.

1. Trade RP Gary Majewski and OF Javon Moran to the Braves for 2B Marcus Giles.

2. Trade Jason LaRue to the Blue Jays for a prospect

2. Sign Justin Speier to a 2-year deal worth 5.5 mil to be our closer

3. Sign Chad Bradford to a 2-year deal worth 4 mil

3. Sign SP Kelvim Escobar to a 2-year deal worth 10 mil

4. Sign SP Gil Meche to a 2-year deal worth 8 mil

5. Sign OF Luis Gonzalez to a 1-year deal worth 4 mil

6. Sign 3B-1B Pedro Feliz to a 2 year deal worth 6 mil

I think that with the money saved from dealing Jason, we could make all of these signings. Now here is the team

RF/CF Freel
    2B Giles
    LF Dunn
    3B Encarnacion
    RF/CF Griffey
    C Ross
    1B Hatteberg
    SS Philips

*Now, I know I said that Brandon should stay at 2B in my original post, but I like the idea of bringing in Giles to give a little offensive boost and I think that BP is athletic enough to make the switch. A BP-MG DP combo would be nice*

Feliz
    Gonzalez
    Valentin
    Denorfia
    Castro
    Harris

Harang
    Arroyo
    Escobar
    Meche
    Milton

Belisle
    Cormier
    Bradford
    Bray
    SU- Coffey
    CL- Speier

So, now how does that look. I know it looks like I was being too generous with my $$ spent, but I think dealing LaRue could give us good flexibility...and remember what our Castellini has said, he's not afraid to spend money.

The Mets would never make the Heilman deal for Majewski, Lohse, and Moran. They view Heilman as a serious pitcher and they are not giving him up for the injured, the waived and the young (who doesn't walk).

Some of the other deals you propose are pretty interesting.

I got to see Heilman pitch a lot this year and fail to see anything from him that would make him worthy of giving up potentially talented players and inserting him in our rotation.

all I will say is that a Reds lineup without Ryan Freel is wrong.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

chad bradford would be an excellent upgrade. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that krivsky realizes this and at least tries to do something with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Mets would never make the Heilman deal for Majewski, Lohse, and Moran. They view Heilman as a serious pitcher and they are not giving him up for the injured, the waived and the young (who doesn't walk).
    I must be the only one who hasn't seen some information that everyone else has (I'm not being sarcastic, but being serious).

The evidence I see is that Heilman has begged to start, the Mets haven't let him while throwing the likes of Jose Lima and Dave Williams frequently and now Heilman says he wants to go elsewhere if he can't start in NY. Why would he be so highly regarded for next year when he was so lightly regarded in 2006?

In the above trade Majewski would basically be available to do the job Heilman did in 2006 and Lohse is a (less expensive) replacement for Steve Trachsel. Moran is just a sweetener. Now other teams may give them better offers, but if its based on simply how much the Mets like him, I'm guessing they would do this. I wouldn't give much more. The Mets know him better than anyone and the 2006 treatment speaks volumes to me.

What am I missing? (Again I'm being serious). I think there is some article or quote that I haven't seen.

Assuming a modest increase in budget and not taking any flights of fancy by listing players who will certainly not come here (i.e., Zito, Schmidt), here's a team I would go to battle with.

1) Sign Doug Davis to a 3 year, $15M contract : I like Doug Davis as much if not more than Ted Lilly in many ways. He will come cheaper, and is more durable than Lilly. He fills the role of a #4 starter quite well, and if all goes right with Arroyo, Harang and Milton, he gives the Reds a solid rotation.

2) Sign Craig Wilson to a 2 year, $5M deal and make him the RH platoon 1B and occasional OF reserve. A Hatteberg/Wilson platoon will give you 25+ HR and close to a .400 OBP at a nice price until Joey Votto is ready.

3) Here's my blockbuster...trade Junior and assume 50% of his contract to the Cubs for Cesar Izturis. Junior would be reunited with Lou Piniella and assuming the Cubs resign Pierre would play LF or RF. I think that is very doable.

4) Sign Frank Catalanotto as a FA to play RF every day. A near-.400 OBP, professional .300 hitter who is harder to strike out than almost anyone in the game, and he can probably be signed for 3 years, $13M.

5) Sign Eric Gagne to an incentive-laden 2 year deal with a $2M base and incentives that could raise it to $8-$9M a season. Have escape hatches in there in case he flames out

6) Re-sign Kyle Lohse to a deal no higher than 2 years, $8M as our 5th starter. If he won't bite, it's hello to Homer Bailey.

7) Give Jason LaRue to whomever will take him and pony up $2M of his deal to make him attractive to a team in need of a veteran c.

8) Minor move, but resign Todd Hollandsworth at 1 year, $2M as a quality veteran bat off the bench.

9) Resign David Weathers to a 2 year deal at $2.5M per season.

In my scenario, Freel and Denorfia would form a non-traditional platoon in CF that would work as Freel is best suited for around 450 PA and Denorfia for the remaining 300 in a season. Phillips & Izturis could become the best defensive MI tandem in baseball. Hatteberg & Wilson will give the Reds adequate production at 1B, and Ross/Valentin the same at C. The risk is obviously counting on Dunn & Encarnacion to provide middle of the order production. Dunn needs to hit 40+ HR and drive in 100+ runs, and EE needs to hit 20+ and drive in 85+. I think that the 1B platoon and Phillips can provide enough pop to get the job done.

Batting Order vs. RHP Batting Order vs. LHP
    Freel/Denorfia - CF Freel/Denorfia - CF
    Hatteberg - 1B Phillips - 2B
    Catalanotto - RF Catalanotto - RF
    Encarnacion - 3B Encarnacion - 3B
    Dunn = LF Dunn - LF
    Phillips - 2B Wilson - 1B
    Ross - C Ross - C
    Izturis - SS Izturis - SS

Rotation : Harang, Arroyo, Davis, Milton, Lohse or Bailey
    Bullpen : Gagne, Weathers, Majewski, Cormier, Bray, Coffey

Others : Valentin, Castro, Hollandsworth, Hopper or Olmedo.

I'd like to manage this team.

Turn Off Ads?