Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Astros no longer interested in Dunn; Reds interested in Marcus Giles?

Astros no longer interested in Dunn; Reds interested in Marcus Giles?

I would love to see Marcus Giles roaming around second base for the Reds if the price is right.

Braves' Giles could join his brother in S.D.
    Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 7 hours ago

The emergence of Padres rookie second baseman Josh Barfield last season seemingly ended the chances of Marcus Giles joining his older brother, Brian, in San Diego.

Not so fast.

The Braves are open to trading Marcus Giles, and the Padres' plan if they acquired the younger Giles would be to play him at third base,
    Marcus, 28, would gladly move from second to third if it meant uniting with Brian, 35, a source close to the brothers said.

The Braves, seeking an eighth-inning bridge to closer Bob Wickman, likely are interested in Padres right-handed reliever Scott Linebrink, whom they tried to acquire last summer.

The Indians are another possible suitor for Marcus. The Reds could acquire him and move second baseman Brandon Phillips to shortstop. The Cardinals and Giants are among the other clubs with openings at second.

The problem with obtaining Marcus Giles, especially for budget-minded teams such as the Indians and Reds, is that he's becoming less productive and more expensive.

Marcus Giles struggled when the Braves made him their leadoff hitter last season. Yet, his salary could rise from $3.85 million to the $5.5 million range in his final year of arbitration. And, after next season, he will be a free agent.

The Braves could always decline to offer Giles a contract, but then the team would receive nothing in return. A trade makes more sense, and the Padres represent a logical fit.

Among the Padres' other possibilities at third, free agent Aramis Ramirez might be too expensive, Japanese third baseman Akinori Iwamura could go to a higher bidder and the White Sox's Joe Crede and the Astros' Morgan Ensberg might be out of reach in trades.

The Braves pursued Linebrink in a proposed deal for third baseman Wilson Betemit last summer. The Padres balked, preferring to keep their bullpen intact, and the Braves traded Betemit to the Dodgers for reliever Danys Baez and infielder Willy Aybar.

If the Braves traded Marcus Giles, Martin Prado, 23, would be one internal option at second. Shortstop Yunel Escobar, who has yet to play above Class AA, might be even more intriguing; he's showing significant offensive progress in the Arizona Fall League.

NO DUNN DEAL

Not long ago, the Astros would have jumped at the chance to acquire Reds left fielder Adam Dunn, who grew up outside of Houston.

No more.

The Astros, while intent on adding a slugger, do not consider Dunn an appealing trade option, a major-league source says.

Dunn led the majors with 194 strikeouts last season. He has hit 40 or more homers in each of the past three seasons, but his on-base/slugging percentage has declined in each of the last two. His defense and conditioning are further concerns, and the long-term presence of Lance Berkman would prevent the Astros from moving Dunn to first base.

The Astros reportedly are one of the teams attempting to trade for the Yankees' Gary Sheffield, but they're more likely to sign a free agent such as Alfonso Soriano or Carlos Lee.

MULDER: NOT HURTING ON MARKET

Free-agent left-hander Mark Mulder, recovering from shoulder surgery, is drawing interest from multiple clubs, including his most recent team, the World Series champion Cardinals.

If healthy, Mulder, 29, might have joined left-hander Barry Zito and right-hander Jason Schmidt as the jewels of the free-agent class. Instead, teams now view him as an attractive short-term gamble.

Mulder is expected to begin a throwing program in early January and pitch in early March, according to his agent, Gregg Clifton.

Another of Clifton's clients, free-agent outfielder Luis Gonzalez, made news Friday when he had lunch with Indians general manager Mark Shapiro.

The Giants were the first team to call about Gonzalez after he filed for free agency. They will need a new left fielder if they do not re-sign Barry Bonds.

Ken Rosenthal is FOXSports.com's senior baseball writer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6139030
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros no longer interested in Dunn; Reds interested in Marcus Giles?

Why trade for Giles when you have free agent infield options in Kennedy, Belliard and Gonzalez?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Why trade for Giles when you have free agent infield options in Kennedy, Belliard and Gonzalez?
    'Cause Giles is better.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    'Cause Giles is better.
    Exactly. Even in his injury plagued '06, Giles was way above average with the bat for 2B's.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Who do the Reds have to trade besides Harang and Arroyo? Posters indicate without Dunn the Reds have no offense, so who do they have to trade?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    'Cause Giles is better.

He's better, yes, but pretty expensive to obtain. He's 1 year from FA.

Teams like the Reds don't improve long term by trading away much value for expensive players on the eve of FA, unless it's to make a run right there and now.

Especially players who's salary is increasing and production is decreasing.

Not surprising. Did not, in fact, the 'Stros interest in Dunn wane a while back?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Not surprising. Did not, in fact, the 'Stros interest in Dunn wane a while back?
    It probably waned when they realized that he is a one trick pony.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Yeah, that's it he's a run producer, no place for that in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post

More than likely it waned when he signed that multi-year deal with the Reds.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    yeah, when Krivsky said no for teh 300th time.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Man Pills

I think "longterm" is a myth.

The time is forever "now."

The teams that win believe they'll contend every year.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yeah, that's it he's a run producer, no place for that in the game.
    I guess the Astros just don't understand Dunn's value.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I guess the Astros just don't understand Dunn's value.
    Reds fans don't that's for sure.

The Astros are more likely to pursue a big RH bat then a LH bat, their park is built for RH power and Berkman's power side is LH, a RH bat would look good in the late innings.

But hey I won't let facts get in the way of a good horse whipping.

I just got the 2007 Bill James Handbook and took a look at the Park Effects for 2004-2006. It lists the Astros home park as the best place for lefthanded homerun hitters. It is 38% easier for lefthanded hitters to hit homers in Houston than in the other parks in the league, which is tops in the NL.

I thought that was interesting, as all you hear about Houston is the leftfield Crawford boxes, but the park actually favors lefthanded power hitters over righthanded power hitters.

I don't know if Houston's lack of interest is just posturing or if they are serious, but Dunn would seem to be an ideal fit for them.

I still say Dunn/Cormier for Ensberg/Everett/Wheeler is a winner all the way around. But, that's just me.
    Last edited by 11BarryLarkin11; 11-05-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Turn Off Ads?