Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Musicians who need to stop...

Musicians who need to stop...

I think there are a long list of bands/solo artists who were once great but are tarnishing their legacy by continuing to record/tour.
    Here is my short list:
    The Who
    R.E.M.
    Paul McCartney
    The Rolling Stones
    Madonna
    There are more these just came to mind.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Musicians who need to stop...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think there are a long list of bands/solo artists who were once great but are tarnishing their legacy by continuing to record/tour.
    Here is my short list:
    The Who
    R.E.M.
    Paul McCartney
    The Rolling Stones
    Madonna
    Pretty good list.

McCartney had jumped the shark by the time of the White Album. Dude should have stopped with "Lady Madonna."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Meatloaf

The lastest studio release by The Who (their first since 1982) is actually getting some fairly decent reviews. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    The lastest studio release by The Who (their first since 1982) is actually getting some fairly decent reviews. Just sayin'
    But is it really The Who, last time I checked Keith Moon and John Entwhistle were still dead.

Here is my short list:
    The Who
    R.E.M.
    Paul McCartney
    The Rolling Stones
    Madonna
    McCartney is tarnishing his image by continuing to tour? They are considered one of the best live acts going around right now. And every show sells out. He gives very solid performances. And his last album was quite good, very well received, and nominated for an award. Have you listened to it?
    Last edited by GAC; 11-05-2006 at 08:34 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    McCartney is tarnishing his image by continuing to tour? They are considered one of the best live acts going around right now. And every show sells out. He gives very solid performances. And his last album was quite good, very well received, and nominated for an award. Have you listened to it?
    I am a huge McCartney fan and have listened to his last album. I have seen him three times in concert, Indy 89, Cleveland 90, and Cincinnati 93 or 4 i cant remember and he is fantastic live. His last few albums have been good I really like Flaming Pie but its just not as good as he used to be, still better than most but just not up to the level of a Beatle. By the way just because its nominated for an award doesnt mean its good, and Paul will always sell albums because of the faction of people who want to own everything Beatle.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

John Mellencamp.

This is OURRRRR CUNNT-Trayyyy.

Lame.
    Stick to your guns.

I am a huge McCartney fan and have listened to his last album. I have seen him three times in concert, Indy 89, Cleveland 90, and Cincinnati 93 or 4 i cant remember and he is fantastic live. His last few albums have been good I really like Flaming Pie but its just not as good as he used to be, still better than most but just not up to the level of a Beatle. By the way just because its nominated for an award doesnt mean its good, and Paul will always sell albums because of the faction of people who want to own everything Beatle.
    I will admit to being one of those guys. I still like the guy, a lot, though I also accept there are many who do not have the same taste.
    Of course, I also faithfully bought Ringo's album released this year, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I will admit to being one of those guys. I still like the guy, a lot, though I also accept there are many who do not have the same taste.
    Of course, I also faithfully bought Ringo's album released this year, as well.
    I used to be one of those guys. I still love the Beatles and still love a great majority of Paul's work but just wish he would stop. Ringo had a very good album out a few years ago and is just fun IMO.

But is it really The Who, last time I checked Keith Moon and John Entwhistle were still dead.
    From where I stand, Townshend has always been the driving force behind the group--not so much because of his guitar/vocal ability, but because he primarily authored all of the group's songs. Granted, their sound would not quite be the same today if Daltrey was not there. His voice seems well rested today and that is a good thing.

Admittedly, I was always partial to The Ox on bass and loved the few songs that he was able to write and perform for the group. His death definitely caught me off guard and I never thought they would make another studio album without him. Moon has been gone for nearly thirty years (Who Are You was his last studio album) and--to me--he was always their biggest loss. I always thought Kenny Jones stunk on ice when I saw him play their songs that were written prior to Moon's death.

Anyway, the band will never be the same. But I just wanted to point out that this newest studio album has a typical Who "Rock Opera" vibe to it and it is getting some decent reviews.

I am a huge McCartney fan and have listened to his last album. I have seen him three times in concert, Indy 89, Cleveland 90, and Cincinnati 93 or 4 i cant remember and he is fantastic live. His last few albums have been good I really like Flaming Pie but its just not as good as he used to be, still better than most but just not up to the level of a Beatle.
    And yet you still think he should hang it up because he can't duplicate that Beatle "mystique"?

And therein (above) is where the problem lies. He is no longer a Beatle. And to expect any of the ex-Beatles, during their solo careers, to produce that "magic" on the same level of what those four lads forged as a collective identity/personality is being unfair IMO. But for many years that "burden" of replicating it was placed on them as individual artists, while many didn't give the music credit. They were too busy being hung up on "But they aren't the Beatles!"... "It's not a Lennon-McCartney song".... therefore, it can't be as good.

I was finally able to see past that and recognize that they did a very good job of forging their own identities/personalities via their solo careers, and wrote some very influential and relevant work. I thought Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison wrote some very strong post-Beatle material. Now maybe it wasn't as commercially successful, and thus getting the mass air play and recognition of many of the Beatle hits, because again, too many wanted to relive the good old days of four mop tops with collarless suits singing "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah"; but IMHO, I thought it was still strong artistically.

As Lennon once said after the breakup... "The Beatles were the 60's, and not intended to go any farther beyond that. Enjoy it for what it was, don't get so hung up on it, and move on with your lives."

If they had continued on, they probably would have ended up like the Rolling Stones, and their image would have been tarnished IMO because they wouldn't have been able to replicate it.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-06-2006 at 09:17 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I agree, Sir Paul's latest was actually quite good. I thoroughly enjoyed "Flaming Pie" as well.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I have a problem where I get to a point where I've just heard enough of a band. It's not that they've gotten worse... I've just heard all I need to hear. So, my list looks a little weird:

Dave Matthews Band
    U2
    R.E.M. (should have broken up when Bill Berry quit)

Also... Any band still touring playing hits from the 70's or 80's with a new lead singer who sounds sorta like the old one:

Journey
    Styx
    (pretty much the whole Riverbend lineup)

Paul McCartney touring is an Oldie act and it makes me sad. There is something to be said for what the Beatles did and by that I mean never recording again together after thier break up. The Rolling Stones are an embarrassment now IMO and I dont want Sir Paul to be like that. Maybe its just me being selfish and wanting him to stop so I can remember him for the songs he has written that are great instead of the the mediocre stuff he is recording now.

Turn Off Ads?