Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS Race

BCS Race

Okay college football fans. Here's the latest BCS scenario.

OSU and Michigan stay at #1 and #2. Louisville moves up to #3. The rest of the standings are in the table.

Code:
       	TEAM  		H. RK  	PTS  	%  	USA RK  PTS  	%  	A&H  	RB  	CM  	KM  	JS  	PW  	%  	COMP AVG  	BCS AVG  	PRVS
    1	Ohio State	1	2849	.999	1	1575	1.000	24	25	24	24	24	24	.960	2		.9865		1
    2	Michigan	2	2731	.958	2	1502	.954	25	24	25	25	25	25	1.000	1		.9706		2
    3	Louisville	3	2521	.885	4	1382	.878	23	22	23	23	22	23	.910	3		.8907		5
    4	Florida		6	2275	.798	6	1255	.797	22	18	21	21	18	21	.810	5		.8017		4
    5	Texas		4	2515	.883	3	1397	.887	16	23	16	11	13	18	.630	10		.7998		7
    6	Auburn		5	2317	.813	5	1309	.831	17	16	17	20	19	17	.700	8		.7814		6
    7	USC		7	2097	.736	7	1148	.729	20	19	18	18	20	20	.770	7		.7449		8
    8	California	9	1948	.684	9	1048	.665	21	21	22	22	21	19	.850	4		.7330		10
    9	Notre Dame	8	1994	.700	8	1079	.685	18	20	20	19	23	22	.810	6		.7316		9
    10	West Virginia	10	1743	.612	10	994	.631	13	14	13	10	10	12	.480	14		.5742		3

1) If Lousiville remains unbeaten and Michigan loses to OSU, who should be the two teams in the BCS championship?

2) If Lousivlle remains unbeaten and OSU loses to Michigan, who should be the two teams in the BCS Championship? Does OSU hold onto the #2 spot over Lousivlle with one loss?

3) If Louisville loses (they still play @ undefeated Rutgers), is Florida or even Texas all of a sudden in the BCS Championship?
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-06-2006 at 12:17 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BCS Race

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

3) If Louisville loses (they still play @ undefeated Rutgers), is Florida all of a sudden in the BCS Championship?
    I'm not sure. It's a shame that FSU turned out so bad this year. Normally that's a nice strength of schedule boost at the end of the year. Alabama and Georgia losing again this weekend doesn't help either.

Actually, if Georgia lost to Kentucky, and Florida beat both of them, does that even matter? Sort of cancel eachother out or something?

Winning the SEC championship game would help out, but honestly, after watching the gators play all year, it may be more fun to play someone else and win, than to play Ohio State.

Florida wins, but they win ugly. I guess Ohio State won a championship playing ugly a couple years ago. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that, I think they won ugly, but obviously there's people here with more OSU knowledge than me.)

Indiana beats Michigan next week foiling all this madness.

By the way, I know it's be said over and over, but how cool would it be to have a playoff?

Just think of the season as a 12-game playoff

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    1) If Lousiville remains unbeaten and Michigan loses to OSU, who should be the two teams in the BCS championship?

2) If Lousivlle remains unbeaten and OSU loses to Michigan, who should be the two teams in the BCS Championship? Does OSU hold onto the #2 spot over Lousivlle with one loss?

3) If Louisville loses (they still play @ undefeated Rutgers), is Florida or even Texas all of a sudden in the BCS Championship?
    1.) Louisville-OSU should play for the national title. Michigan should get no rematch -- it had its chance to win the national title. Why should it get a second bite at the apple while Texas (for example) doesn't?

2.) Louisville-Michigan -- same reasoning as above.

3.) If Rutgers beats Louisville and is the only unbeaten team in D1 other than the winner of OSU/Mich, then Rutgers should play for the national title.

If you go undefeated in a BCS conference, you should earn the right to play for the BCS championship -- especially if there are no other unbeatens. Otherwise, what is the point of seperating the conferences into BCS/non-BCS? Denying Rutgers a shot at the national title would prove the BCS is a fraud and exists only to perpetuate the status quo and thumb its nose at any accomplishments that don't come from traditional powerhouse programs.

Is Rugers the best or second-best team in the country? No, but this is the bed the BCS has made -- it should be forced to sleep in it when and if the time comes.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The whole point of the BCS system in to ensure the top two teams in the country play for the title. If Rutgers isn't one of the two best teams in the country (and clearly they're not) then there's no reason for them to be in the title game.

I don't worry about the whole rematch aspect. There have been rematches in the title game before, just not last week rematches like Ohio State/Michigan would be. The whole point is to get #1 vs. #2. If they're two schools that have played before so be it. If it's a school that's lost a game so be it. If it's a school from a weaker conference so be it. All that matters is that #1 plays #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The whole point of the BCS system in to ensure the top two teams in the country play for the title. If Rutgers isn't one of the two best teams in the country (and clearly they're not) then there's no reason for them to be in the title game.
    Louisville played and destroyed then #17 Miami. Other than that, the schedules of Rutgers-Louisville-West Virginia are littered with tomato cans. (Except that they all play each other and a Pitt team that rises above 'tomato can' status). I think Louisville is best of the bunch, and should beat Rutgers...but if Rutgers wins out, the only reason that they won't be in the hunt for the BCS championship is that they didn't start the season with the same level of respect from the pollsters.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Nebraska made its way to countless national championship games by beating up on a weak conference (Big 12 or whatever it was called before).

No difference in what Louisville would be doing now.

None of this will change until there's a playoff system.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Louisville played and destroyed then #17 Miami. Other than that, the schedules of Rutgers-Louisville-West Virginia are littered with tomato cans. (Except that they all play each other and a Pitt team that rises above 'tomato can' status). I think Louisville is best of the bunch, and should beat Rutgers...but if Rutgers wins out, the only reason that they won't be in the hunt for the BCS championship is that they didn't start the season with the same level of respect from the pollsters.
    The same thing could be argued about the Big 11 this year. There's OSU and Michigan of course. Wisconsin is ranked 16th this week. But that's it.

Sounds awfully like another conference that likes to get ripped on for being weak.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farney View Post
    Just think of the season as a 12-game playoff
    There's a lot of truth to that, a one and out playoff for the most part, depending on the conference you play in. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Buckeye fan through and through and I thoroughly enjoy seeing them at the top of the heap, but every year you see an undefeated team from one of the so called weaker conferences that gets overlooked, or several one loss teams that could all have a legitimate shot and winning the championship game but don't get the chance.

There would be a few problems with the playoff system as well, but I think it should be considered. How you pick the teams for the playoff would still create controversy, simply because there are always folks who want to stir it up no matter what. If you pick the top 8 teams for a playoff, the fans of school X that didn't make the cut but had as good a record as the 8th team picked will gripe. Someone is always going to feel left out.

Yes, for the most part I think the current system is unfair in that there are always deserving teams that don't even get a chance, but for the most part you do end up with two pretty darn good teams playing for all the marbles at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    3.) If Rutgers beats Louisville and is the only unbeaten team in D1 other than the winner of OSU/Mich, then Rutgers should play for the national title.

If you go undefeated in a BCS conference, you should earn the right to play for the BCS championship -- especially if there are no other unbeatens. Otherwise, what is the point of seperating the conferences into BCS/non-BCS? Denying Rutgers a shot at the national title would prove the BCS is a fraud and exists only to perpetuate the status quo and thumb its nose at any accomplishments that don't come from traditional powerhouse programs.

Is Rugers the best or second-best team in the country? No, but this is the bed the BCS has made -- it should be forced to sleep in it when and if the time comes.
    I absolutely couldn't agree more. Ever since the day it was created, I've felt the BCS was the most ridiculous, senseless creation in the history of major sport--worse, even, than the glowing puck.

It's one thing when a team from a non-BCS conference runs the table and gets ignored (Utah, Tulane). But if a team from a BCS conference can go undefeated (say, Rutgers) and STILL not have a chance to play for the Title, then why even have a Division 1-A? Just carve out 15-20 teams from across the country who are usually in the top 25, and place them in a single conference whereby the winner is crowned National Champion. Let the other schmucks play out their schedules for the right to play in the Rice Krispies Bowl, or whatever, pat 'em on the back and congratulate them on a good season, then ask them to kindly step aside.

The BCS is the perfect combination of greed, idiocy and incompetence.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    That blows the whole logic of the BCS out of the water, then. Rutgers plays in a conference that is, by definition, one of the top conferences in the country. It says so right in the BCS contract. What you're suggesting is for the BCS to simply ignore their own guidelines, and is no better than simply picking two teams out of thin air to play for this mythical Championship.

And when you have more than two teams from top conferences finish the season undefeated, you're left with using a series of complex and convoluted computer programs to determine your "National Champion" for you. How lovely.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I would be in tears of CFB went to a playoff.

CFB is the most unique sport out there because every Saturday is the super bowl in many ways. Imagine if Michigan vs Ohio State this year was just a game for seeding?

It's a game of tradition and it needs to stay that way, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    That blows the whole logic of the BCS out of the water, then. Rutgers plays in a conference that is, by definition, one of the top conferences in the country. It says so right in the BCS contract. What you're suggesting is for the BCS to simply ignore their own guidelines, and is no better than simply picking two teams out of thin air to play for this mythical Championship.

And when you have more than two teams from top conferences finish the season undefeated, you're left with using a series of complex and convoluted computer programs to determine your "National Champion" for you. How lovely.
    I agree, the BCS is just dumb. I would be 100% fine with going back to human polls. Would anyone really have an arguement for Rutgers going over a one loss Michigan, Texas, Florida team? Common sense has to come into play somewhere.

And if those other teams have already lost they have no room to complain. They left it up to the pollsters and that's just fine with me. The logistics and other factors make playoffs just the same kind of bs to me. Humans would still have to setup the matchups and the last thing we need is something like a 2 loss LSU team backing into a title because of matchups or injuries in week 18.
    Last edited by Cedric; 11-06-2006 at 08:24 PM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?