Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: BCS Race

Re: BCS Race

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I think the best system is one whereby every deserving team is provided an ample shot at the National Championship.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but didn't Michigan get a pretty fair shot to stake their claim? USC? Florida? Arkansas? Wisconsin? Texas? Oklahoma (ok, 1 out of 2 ain't bad)?

The best possible system is the one that gives the best 2 teams the best shot at playing for the title. You can't get any better than a one game scenario.

Playoffs in other sports can be fun to watch, but they don't really crown a true national champ, and they make the regular season virtually irrelevant. Why should Ohio State have an equal chance to win the title as USC or LSU?

The BCS is, in fact, the best system out there for determining a true National Champ. Don't blame it because your team didn't get the job done "on the field."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Well, then let Florida play in Columbus for the National Championship. That's what Michigan had to do.
    In 2003 Ohio State had a shot to go to the National Championship game and play USC but lost to Michigan in Ann Arbor. You play the teams on your schedule. Michigan had their chance and didn't get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    I guess, for us Buckeye fans, the best thing would be to just shut up. It doesn't really matter to us. We're in. .

I guess I could substitute "Buckeye" for "Gator" and say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here...but didn't Michigan get a pretty fair shot to stake their claim? USC? Florida? Arkansas? Wisconsin? Texas? Oklahoma (ok, 1 out of 2 ain't bad)?
    They did, and I'd say they DID stake their claim. At least as much as Florida did. Both teams have one loss, and Michigan's was closer AND to a better team. If anything, it's FLORIDA that had their chance (to go unbeaten) and blew it.

The best possible system is the one that gives the best 2 teams the best shot at playing for the title. You can't get any better than a one game scenario.
    When there can be more than two teams making legitimate claims for playing for the title, you not only CAN get better, you should. I can think of a lot of scenarios that are better than an arbitraily-decided one game championship.

And since we're making this argument, OSU already beat ostensibly the second-best team in the nation when they defeated Michigan. If that game truly was Michigan's shot, then it was also OSU's shot, and the whole BCS shenanigans should be ignored and OSU crowned champion right now. Why go through the process of having OSU beat yet ANOTHER team the BCS claims is the second-best in the nation?

Playoffs in other sports can be fun to watch, but they don't really crown a true national champ, and they make the regular season virtually irrelevant. Why should Ohio State have an equal chance to win the title as USC or LSU?
    I hear this argument frequently and I don't buy it. If nothing else, the BCS makes the college football regular season TOO relevant, forcing teams to play to perfection and, when they don't, doing everything they can to make themselves look good for the poll voters and computers. I find it a dubious claim--at best--that Division 1-A college football is the only sport in existence incapable of determining their champion via a playoff format; that they are the only ones who get it "right."

I'd say any sport that has a history of co-champions, undefeated teams being ignored in the championship game, and an inherent bias towards power-schools from power-conferences deemed "worthy" of championship consideration, should be the last example followed by anyone seeking a legitimate process for crowning a champion.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Michigan had their chance and didn't get it done.
    I must have slept right through Florida's victory over Auburn...

Interesting comments by Stewart Mandel at SI on the difficulty of getting a playoff system going...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bag/index.html

Also, a nice but realistic comment at the end about Brian Kelley at UC.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    I guess, for us Buckeye fans, the best thing would be to just shut up. It doesn't really matter to us. We're in. I think the fact that we keep trying to rebut U-M fans' arguements just makes us seem even more arrogant and condesending. And I'm not trying to be.

U-M fans...sorry your team's not in. You had a great season. The OSU/Michigan game was a classic. Congratulations on a job well done. Now go kick USC's tail and we'll stop trying to defend the BCS system...because we really can't anyway.
    I appreciate this post, max, I really do. At first, I must admit I was pretty sour about the whole thing, and did think that most OSU fans were being arrogant and condescending.

But then I realized, this isn't an argument between fans of different teams. This is an argument against the BCS and all of the people (Coaches, Harris Poll voters, people who generated the computer algorisms, etc) that make up the current system. I truly believe the system has to be changed. This seems to happen every year. Think about it, a system that really only works when its obvious there are only two teams that *could* stake a claim for the National Championship game isn't really a system at all. I could proclaim myself the all-knowledgeable king of college football and grant permission to those two teams to play in the NC game without much argument from anyone.

And also, I'm not looking for OSU fans to say "you guys played a great game, it was close, etc., etc," because personally, I think UM played a terrible game on defense and they missed a lot of opportunities on offense. Their defense is a lot better than they played on November 18th. I'm truly disappointed in how they played. They, in my mind, absolutely choked on defense. That's not to take anything away from Ohio State at all, their offense (as I've said before) is one of the best, deepest offenses I've ever seen on the collegient level. So, when someone says "they already had their shot," it is a sore spot for me because I think back to that game and how frustrated I was watching it, knowing their defense could play a lot better, and knowing that almost all of those voters who voted were looking at that game thinking "that's the best Michigan had to offer?," and knowing that truly wasn't the case. It'd almost be like if Ohio State had lost that game by 3 and scored it's only points on offense off of turnovers and all other points on defense or special teams. You expect Ohio State's offense to score a decent amount of points in each game, and when they simply just don't do it, it would be extremely frustrating to you. You know they are capable of scoring 30 points in each game, and when they score 10 (in a shootout, in the biggest game of the year), you just want to pull your hair out. That's kind of how I feel.

Ok, I'm done. The decisions were made. I can't argue that Florida legitimately doesn't deserve a shot, and that Michigan absolutely does. All I can say is that there ARE two teams that had a claim to the #2 spot, and the BCS is not a good system, IMO, to determine which team should lay claim to the #2 spot. I'm not sure there is a system that could determine that, other than having those two teams play it out on the field and then matching them up with the #1 team.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 12-08-2006 at 09:05 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

In my opinion, the two best teams aren't playing for the title.

It's that simple. Doesn't matter if "they already had their chance".

The two best teams aren't playing one another for the title.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Enjoy this thought, from The Onion:
    BCS Determines No Team Worthy Of Facing Ohio State In Championship Game
    December 7, 2006 | Issue 42•49

COLUMBUS, OH—In what many BCS officials are citing as "proof that their flawless system indeed works," no Division 1-A college football team was found to possess the sheer excellence required to face Ohio State, the No. 1 ranked team since the season began, in this year's BCS Championship game.

"The main job of the BCS is to place the best football players in the nation in a single game in order to decide the national champion," said BCS chairman Mike Coleman. "This year, our computer took hours to process the polls' relevant data—by which I mean the opinions of the nation's finest sportscasters, sports-radio hosts, coaches, color commentators, and ESPN The Magazine contributors—and determined that no championship game is necessary. No team in America deserves to even step on the same field as Ohio State, let alone actually play in a game against them."

"It's good to know that, after the Harris and the USA Today polls carefully and painstakingly take care of the fallible, emotional, potentially biased human element of the ranking through old-fashioned voting, the BCS then takes that human element and subjects it to its own infallible rigid mathematical formulas," Coleman continued. "It's a confidence-inspiring system that has never failed us before."

"Although I'll be the first to admit that previous years have usually featured some sort of game," Coleman added.

According to Coleman, the University of Florida's lackluster running game and one-loss season, USC's "abominable" offense and two losses, and Michigan having already lost to Ohio State 42-39 seemed to be the determining factors in the BCS's decision. Coleman also said that Ohio State clearly being the most popular and exciting team in college football didn't hurt. However, Coleman insisted on adamantly stating for the record that the BCS is not a popularity contest.

"I think this year more than any other year proves that the BCS is working," ESPN College GameDay anchor Lee Corso said during a live broadcast from Ohio State's campus. "The system does an excellent job taking into consideration things that poll voters don't even think about: strength of schedule, whether or not the team won their conference, total distance the teams' fans are willing to travel for bowl games, average amount spent on souvenirs by alumni, and grade point average. After all those things, it's Ohio State, baby. And only Ohio State."

Corso then put on the costume head of Ohio State mascot Brutus Buckeye and was met with cheers from thousands of students.

"My guys were disappointed at first, but they eventually understood," said Michigan coach Lloyd Carr. "We had our chance against Ohio State and we blew it, and I guess a rematch would be boring. But can you blame us for thinking we had a chance? Sure, Troy Smith is easily the best player ever, and that defense, well, quite frankly, I'd be afraid for our guys' safety if we had to go up against that defense again, but our fans are rabidly single-minded and a lot of them have poll votes."

"I wish Bo Schembechler had lived to see this," Carr added. "He had a vote in the poll, you know."

Florida Gators head coach Urban Meyer agreed with Carr, saying that even if his team had been offered a chance to play Ohio State, he may not have taken it.

"We don't deserve to play Ohio State. Period," Meyer said, adding that though Florida had a tough schedule, being the SEC champion was not the same thing as being Ohio State. "Every coach that I know voted for Ohio State in the coaches' poll, or at least had them second after their own team. In any case, I can certainly see why no one who votes in the BCS wants the national championship to be decided by a mere football game."

All coaches interviewed supported Meyer's claim, with the notable exception of Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis, who said that despite his team's two losses, weak schedule, and unremarkable defense, he still felt in his heart that Notre Dame deserved a chance at the title—a feeling that, according to a BCS official who wished to remain anonymous, was not completely overruled.

"First of all, I should note that although Notre Dame is an independent, and a highly regarded independent at that, it does not have its own special set of rules as far as determining its football team's rankings," the official said. "Instead, we use a special set of mathematical algorithms to determine its football team's rankings, which the BCS specifically determines only after ranking all the other teams. And though I shouldn't say this, we—er, the computer—would have dearly loved to have seen Notre Dame in the championship."

The Fox network has announced that in place of the game on January 8, it will broadcast four hours of Buckeye players working out in preparation for the 2007 NFL draft.

© Copyright 2006, Onion, Inc. All rights reserved.
    The Onion is not intended for readers under 18 years of age.
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/56174/print/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Classic!

Turn Off Ads?