Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Potential Type A & B FA's +

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Potential Type A & B FA's +

Also some added info how it will all work.

The Elias Sports Bureau rankings, used to classify free agents as Type A (top 30 percent at their position), Type B (31-50 percent) or Type C (51-60 percent), came out this week. As part of the new collective bargaining agreement, starting in 2007, Type A will become the top 20 percent and Type B will become the 21-40 percent group, with Type C now meaningless.

While the classification modifications won't take place until next year, the compensation for each group changes immediately. Type A free agents will yield the signing team's first-round pick (provided it's not in the upper half of the first round) and a supplemental first-rounder, the same as before. But Type B compensation goes from the signing team's first-round pick (with the same upper-first-round protection) to a supplemental first-round choice, and Type C goes from a supplemental second-rounder to nothing. Teams still have to offer their free agents arbitration in order to receive compensation.

Below is a list of all possible free agents who could command compensation. Those marked with an asterisk have unresolved contract situations (options or opt-out clauses) or haven't filed for free agency yet.

Ari: Miguel Batista (B), Craig Counsell (B), Luis Gonzalez (A).
    Atl: Danys Baez (A).
    Bal: LaTroy Hawkins (B), Kevin Millar (A).
    Bos: *Keith Foulke (B), Alex Gonzalez (B), Mark Loretta (A), Trot Nixon (B).
    ChC: Juan Pierre (B), Aramis Ramirez (A).
    CWS: *Dustin Hermanson (A), David Riske (A).
    Cin: Rich Aurilia (A), Eddie Guardado (A), *Kent Mercker (B), Scott Schoeneweis (B), David Weathers (A).
    Cle: None.
    Col: Jose Mesa (B).
    Det: Sean Casey (A), Jamie Walker (B).
    Fla: Joe Borowski (A).
    Hou: *Craig Biggio (B), *Roger Clemens (A), Aubrey Huff (A), *Andy Pettitte (A), Russ Springer (A).
    KC: None.
    LAA: Adam Kennedy (B).
    LAD: *J.D. Drew (A), Eric Gagne (A), Nomar Garciaparra (B), *Kenny Lofton (B), Julio Lugo (A), Greg Maddux (A).
    Mil: Tony Graffanino (A), Rick Helling (B), Tomo Ohka (B).
    Min: None.
    NYM: Chad Bradford (A), Cliff Floyd (A), *Tom Glavine (A), Orlando Hernandez (B), Roberto Hernandez (A), Guillermo Mota (B), Darren Oliver (B), Jose Valentin (B).
    NYY: *Mike Mussina (A), *Gary Sheffield (A), Ron Villone (B).
    Oak: Jay Payton (B), Frank Thomas (B), Barry Zito (A).
    Phi: *Jeff Conine (B), *David Dellucci (A), Aaron Fultz (A), Mike Lieberthal (A), Arthur Rhodes (B).
    Pit: *Jeromy Burnitz (B).
    StL: Ronnie Belliard (A), *Jim Edmonds (A), Jason Marquis (B), *Mark Mulder (B), Jeff Suppan (A), Jeff Weaver (B), *Preston Wilson (B).
    SD: Alan Embree (B), Ryan Klesko (B), Chan Ho Park (B), *Mike Piazza (A), Dave Roberts (A), Rudy Seanez (A), Todd Walker (A), *David Wells (B), Woody Williams (A).
    SF: Moises Alou (A), Barry Bonds (A), Ray Durham (A), Pedro Feliz (B), Shea Hillenbrand (B), Jason Schmidt (A), Mike Stanton (B).
    Sea: Gil Meche (B).
    TB: None.
    Tex: Rod Barajas (B), Mark DeRosa (B), Carlos Lee (A), Gary Matthews Jr. (A), Vicente Padilla (B).
    Tor: Frank Catalanotto (A), Ted Lilly (B), Bengie Molina (A), Justin Speier (A), Gregg Zaun (B).
    Was: Jose Guillen (B), Ramon Ortiz (B), Alfonso Soriano (A).

For Example:

If the Dodgers offer arbitration to all their possible Type A and B free agents, they could wind up with four first-round picks and six supplemental first-rounders. That's the fourth-greatest potential haul, behind only the Padres (five first-rounders, nine sandwich picks), Mets (four and eight) and Giants (four and seven)of the past.
    My guess is that they will offer Arb. to Aurilia and probably Weathers and perhaps maybe even Schoeneweis. Guardado and Mercker probably not due to the extent of their injuries.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 11-07-2006 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Add a thought.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential Type A & B FA's +

This could be a huge draft for us if they go. Having possibly 6-8 picks in the first two rounds would be literally amazing.

Of course, with all this compensation, the 2nd round could turn into the 3rd or 4th
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 11-07-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Does that mean -- all else being equal, including affordability -- that it might be wiser to pick up, let's say, type B's like Jeff Weaver, Nomar Garciaparra, and Jose Guillen than a type A free agent?

Ramon Ortiz as a type B free agent? Is that a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    Ramon Ortiz as a type B free agent? Is that a typo?
    No. The ratings for his are terrible. I don't have the exact criteria in front of me, but I've heard a lot of the stats they use are stuff like: games played, wins, era, strikeouts. They don't use rates. For position players it is stuff like: HR's, RBI, AB's, Errors. It is something any very casual fan could decide, and frankly, they are terrible.

They also use the last two seasons. So Frank Thomas is a type B, and Guardado is an A. That is a crime.

Question: If the Reds lose a type A and sign a type A, could when they pick actually go down? ie: If the Reds were originally to pick 16th and sign a type A from Milwaukee, but St. Louis signs a Reds type A, would the Reds then pick later?

Question: How many first rounders can the Reds financially afford to pick?
    Last edited by CougarQuest; 11-08-2006 at 02:50 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Something missing from that list that I just found out is this little blurb.

Hot commodity
    Nov 8 - At least five clubs have expressed an interest in Eaton, who appears to be a lock for a three-year deal. "The one thing I keep hearing from teams is that outside of the elite guys, he probably has the highest upside of any pitcher out there," Jim Lindell, Eaton's agent, told me.

Eaton, 28, has pitched only 193 innings the last two seasons because of a tendon injury to the middle finger of his right hand. But Lindell said Dr. Donald Sheridan, the surgeon who operated on Eaton's finger in April, has told him the injury is completely healed and shouldn't be a problem again.

As a Type C free agent, Eaton also won't require draft pick compensation from the club that signs him. That's likely to enhance his value as a free agent.
    The 5 teams thus far.
    Orioles
    Rangers
    Mariners
    Cubs
    Red Sox
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest View Post
    Question: If the Reds lose a type A and sign a type A, could when they pick actually go down? ie: If the Reds were originally to pick 16th and sign a type A from Milwaukee, but St. Louis signs a Reds type A, would the Reds then pick later?

Question: How many first rounders can the Reds financially afford to pick?
    It appears that the Reds first rounder is protected, therefore if the Cards were to sign a David Weathers away from the Reds, the Reds would retain their first round pick but gain the Cards' first rounder plus a compensatory pick between round one and two.

The problem is that the only Type A or B Free Agent the Reds could tender is Scott Schoeneweis. There's simply no way the Reds can afford to go to arbitration with Aurilia, Guardado (he's done), Mercker (he's done as well), or Weathers. Because of that, none of those players actually represent compensatory picks.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    It appears that the Reds first rounder is protected, therefore if the Cards were to sign a David Weathers away from the Reds, the Reds would retain their first round pick but gain the Cards' first rounder plus a compensatory pick between round one and two.

The problem is that the only Type A or B Free Agent the Reds could tender is Scott Schoeneweis. There's simply no way the Reds can afford to go to arbitration with Aurilia, Guardado (he's done), Mercker (he's done as well), or Weathers. Because of that, none of those players actually represent compensatory picks.
    I agree with this and am not sure they could afford Schoeneweiss either. His stats with the Reds were a mirage as I'm sure you know. (Small Sample, Miniscule BABIP.) I don't even think the Reds should try for any of their guys except maybe Weathers and Aurilia on a similar deals to this year (for one year only with a small raise). I wouldn't offer arbitration to any of them.

The Reds could still get a sandwich pick for Schoeneweiss (Type B). If I understand the rule change, there is no longer a reason for the signing team to hold off until after the deadline to sign a Type B. A team could sign a Type B next week and the Reds would get compensation (sandwich pick) w/o the signing team suffering any consequences. Since it's before the deadline, the Reds won't need to make a decision on arbitration. I think the rule change will lead to earlier signings of some of these guys and a bunch of picks between rounds 1 and 2 of the draft. A 2nd rounder will be the same as a 3rd rounder in prior years. And if you don't have a sandwich pick, it will be like not having a 2nd round pick in prior years.

The Reds need Schoeneweiss to sign early somewhere.

Actually maybe I wouldn't offer some of them but I definitely would offer Aurilia and let him know that we intend on using him as usual. I'm sure he wants a multi-year deal somewhere and we already know he wants a commitment to a position. It might be dirty pool, but hey realistically we cannot gaurantee him anything.

My guess is that he would not accept it if he can get one or 2 of the other things somewhere else and Wala we get the compensation!
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 11-13-2006 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Spelling errors!

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?