Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds possibly looking at him too?

Are the Reds possibly looking at him too?

per mlbtraderumors.com

Teams Interested In Maholm
    Spoke to a scout today who passed along some Pirates info. He mentioned that a couple of teams are expressing interest in 24 year-old southpaw Paul Maholm because of his easy mechanics and ability to keep the ball in the park.

Maholm posted a 0.97 HR per nine innings mark this season in 176 innings. If we are to adjust Maholm's HR per flyball rate to average (10.7%), his HR/9 falls to 0.83 per nine innings. My own projections have Maholm posting a 4.62 ERA and 1.47 WHIP in 195 innings next season. I can see his control progressing a bit, and he's a good low-risk, low-cost acquisition. Put a decent defense behind the guy and he might surprise you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are the Reds possibly looking at him too?

I assume he's still Pirates property, so the question is, less what he's capable of, and more what we'd have to send to Pittsburgh to get him.

If it's a B prospect, sure, ok. If it's an A prospect, or solid major leaguer, then I have to think long and hard on it because I've seen him get shelled when he's not on.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

GriffeyRocks80

His stats on ESPN.com don't look too bad, though I'd have to agree with only sending a B-level prospect to acquire him. Though his numbers aren't bad, they're not worth giving up top-level talent to get. This, however, is just my humble opinion.

RL

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I assume he's still Pirates property, so the question is, less what he's capable of, and more what we'd have to send to Pittsburgh to get him.

If it's a B prospect, sure, ok. If it's an A prospect, or solid major leaguer, then I have to think long and hard on it because I've seen him get shelled when he's not on.

My question is why would they trade him? He is cheap and has shown signs of being decent? Next ? is why trade him within the division?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

the pirates owe us one after trading casey for dave williams!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    the pirates owe us one after trading casey for dave williams!
    What did the Pirates get by acquiring Casey? What did Detroit give them?

First baseman Sean Casey was dealt to the Detroit Tigers for minor-league pitcher Brian Rogers, who was 3-2 with a 2.39 ERA in 37 appearances at Class AA Erie.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I'm a big fan of Maholm's, always have been. He had a pretty solid break-in season in 2006.

I'd be surprised if Pittsburgh would consider dealing him, but I'd see if I could get them interested in something built around Maholm for Joey Votto.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

but I'd see if I could get them interested in something built around Maholm for Joey Votto.
    Never.

Let's look back at this one in 2-3 years....
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Never.

Let's look back at this one in 2-3 years....
    Yeah, you'd never get anywhere trading AA 1Bs for major league pitchers.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Only time will tell. It's not like you should Votto for any major league pitcher.

As with the draft, the rub is in who the players are. I happen to like Votto a lot, and Maholm only a little.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

It's not like you should Votto for any major league pitcher.
    I don't consider a 24-year-old lefty who's was a well-regarded prospect in both college and the minors (where he had a 3.10 ERA) and who's accomplished at keeping the ball on the ground and in the park and who's acquitted himself fairly well in his first full-time go at major league hitters to be just "any major league pitcher."

If anything, it's a fairly extreme reach on my part to assert that the Reds could get Maholm for something built around Votto.

I don't consider a 24-year-old lefty who's was a well-regarded prospect in both college and the minors (where he had a 3.10 ERA) and who's accomplished at keeping the ball on the ground and in the park and who's acquitted himself fairly well in his first full-time go at major league hitters to be just "any major league pitcher."
    I know that. But you seem to be claiming some kind of conceptual high ground with this...

Where Maholm is the "major league pitcher" and Votto is the "AA hitter." As if any trade built on that conceptual framework would be a good one. Those are your categories, not mine.

Again, it comes down to how much you like the individual players. I happen to like Votto better than you do, and Maholm less. That's all I'm saying. Let's see what happens down the road with these guys.

I know that. But you seem to be claiming some kind of conceptual high ground with this...
    Don't know if it's conceptual high ground, but it seems to me it's easier to find a 1B than a good, young LHP. Add in that the pitcher has served a good chunk of his major league apprenticeship and the 1B has his in front of him (and likely he won't be starting it in earnest until 2008) then it just makes the deal all the more enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Again, it comes down to how much you like the individual players. I happen to like Votto better than you do, and Maholm less. That's all I'm saying. Let's see what happens down the road with these guys.
    I'll take a wild guess that if Maholm was Reds property and Votto was Pirates property, you'd like Maholm better and Votto less. As for the Reds, waiting to see what happens down the road is the exact sort of crippling stasis that's plague the franchise during the 21st century. If Maholm could be had for a package featuring Votto, and that's a fairly sizable if, then the Reds need to make a decision. Wait and see is just reflexive inaction. From where I sit, there aren't enough arms on the roster and in the system for the team to think it's in any sort of decent shape vis-a-vis the rotation in the immediate or over the next five years. My take is that it ought to take action and do something about it.

I'll take a wild guess that if Maholm was Reds property and Votto was Pirates property, you'd like Maholm better and Votto less.
    I've already given you several reasons for why I like Votto. None mentioned the uniform. Yet, I guess, no debate between us can be without a condescending dig like this. Why is that?

I'm willing to debate this out some, but frankly I get sick of the lack of respect. It's stupid.

Turn Off Ads?