Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Moves, Krusty style.

Offseason Moves, Krusty style.

I think Wayne K. will be given the financial resources to make several signings this offseason. And while they might not be splashy, these mid-level impact players will do more for the club then one big signining:

Jeff Suppan rhp: You look at this guy's career stats the last four years and I'll take those numbers for a number 3 starter on this staff. I should say number 4 starter when Homer Bailey is ready to crack the rotation.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/st...987&statType=2

Justin Speier rhp: Again look at this guy's numbers the last four or five years and he might be ready to assume a closer's role. If not, he makes one hell of a setup man.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/...layerID=133221

Adam Kennedy 2b: He might not be flashy but he is steady. Put Freel and Kennedy at the top of the lineup and there will be opportunities for Griffey and Dunn to drive in some runs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/...layerID=150456

Trot Nixon OF: Okay he has been racked with injuries the past three seasons. But if he and Junior can play 100 + games, they should be able to put up nice numbers and bolster the bench with capable backups in Freel and Denorifa.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/...rLocator=nixon

Pedro Feliz 3b-lb: Nice replacement for Aurilia. Not only can he play the infield corners but you can use him in the outfield too.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/...rLocator=feliz

There you go, five moves Krivsky needs to make this offseason.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offseason Moves, Krusty style.

Since we're all making these threads and commenting I will here as well. I don't like the Suppan move. You're right about his numbers being better than people give him credit for, but he'll now cost a ton and he hasn't pitched in GABP. Just my opinion. Worse things could happen I guess.

I'm ok with the rest. Not sure any are my first choice. I like the Speier move the best. Wouldn't want Nixon unless he is very cheap. Less than $2 Million. If they get Feliz, he should just play 1B everyday. Kennedy is all right if Phillips goes to SS, but why not just play Freel and Harris?

Suppan would help, but I'd rather have Padilla or Lilly. Better Suppan than Eaton, whom some are suggesting, though. I don't care for Eaton at all. But yes, Suppan's price has gone up now.

It should be an interesting off-season. I have the feeling that what really happens will be something that no one saw coming.

Kennedy isn't good against lefthanders so you could see Harris get playing time when there is a lefty on the mound.

If the Reds have 25 million to play with, signing these five should be within that range. Nixon is intriguing. Playing at GAB, he should hit 30 home runs if he stays healthy. And coming off another injury-plagued season, his price tag should be low. And you strengthen the Reds bench by not having Denorifa and Freel to play everyday but have viable replacements if Junior or Nixon do go on the DL.

Pretty much you can rule out Zito, Schimdt and Mussina coming to the Reds. Krivsky won't put all his eggs in one basket. But if he can offer a 3 year 25 million dollar deal it would be a better signing than the one Dan O'Brien gave to Eric Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Suppan would help, but I'd rather have Padilla or Lilly. Better Suppan than Eaton, whom some are suggesting, though. I don't care for Eaton at all. But yes, Suppan's price has gone up now.

It should be an interesting off-season. I have the feeling that what really happens will be something that no one saw coming.
    I would be careful about signing players like Padilla, Lilly and even Eaton to multi-year deals. They had their best year during their walk years. Other than that, their careers aren't nothing to get excited about. Suppan has been consistent the past five years. You'll get 12-15 wins along with an ERA that is anywhere from 3.60 to 4.20. Give me the guy who has shown consistency. And if the money is there to sign him, why wouldn't the Reds take the opportunity to weaken their opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If the Reds have 25 million to play with, signing these five should be within that range. Nixon is intriguing. Playing at GAB, he should hit 30 home runs if he stays healthy. And coming off another injury-plagued season, his price tag should be low. And you strengthen the Reds bench by not having Denorifa and Freel to play everyday but have viable replacements if Junior or Nixon do go on the DL.

Pretty much you can rule out Zito, Schimdt and Mussina coming to the Reds. Krivsky won't put all his eggs in one basket. But if he can offer a 3 year 25 million dollar deal it would be a better signing than the one Dan O'Brien gave to Eric Milton.
    Interesting point. You are basically saying that Suppan is the least risky because his numbers have been consisitent (not trying to put words in your mouth, but that is how I read it). That is what I want too, but I think Padilla has the least risk of the FA Pitchers. Health issues contributed to his bad numbers and they've been better when healthy. He's pitched at Philly and Texas - 2 parks that play like GABP. I think his numbers are most likely to stay consistent (post signing vs. pre-signing wise) as a result. He wouldn't cost much more than Suppan (if any) and I'd pass on Nixon to make-up the difference.

As for Starting pitching, I really don't think the Reds should be thinking of signing any of these guys. I'd rather they make a low key trade for a starter who has some potential but hasn't been hyped a lot or has struggled in his first impression.

Trot Nixon OF: Okay he has been racked with injuries the past three seasons. But if he and Junior can play 100 + games, they should be able to put up nice numbers and bolster the bench with capable backups in Freel and Denorifa.
    I like this idea. The guy has a lifetime .366 OBP and .844 OPS. His RH/LH splits are pretty drastic though. But he hits righties quite well. Give starts against lefties to Deno or Freel, and you might have something here. Offer him 2 million/yr for 2 years, and he may bite. If he could stay healthy and play at least 120 games, this could be a steal. GABP would be a good fit for him, as i think his power numbers would go up. Not to mention this might make Arroyo happier with one of his old Red Sox cronies back in town.

I still think if the Reds want to take a chance on a power potential OF I think the best guy to try and bring in is Jose Guillen. He (when healthy) has produced the last few years. Plus you got to assume part of his struggles were attributed to that HR Killer park and the injury. Plus due to the injury and baggage will probably cost even less than Trot.

The last 4 years before the injury had been solid years and he excelled in his time in Cincinnati. Now he would have a chance to play everyday as our likely RF and could give the Reds some versatility with his athleticism and play CF or LF if dictated by game flow (IE Injury, double switch, trade, etc). He will also probably be under the radar as everyone concentrates on thet bigger names that are floating out there.

Senor Votto

I'd love to see those moves happen in the offseason but I think Suppan could be out of the price range for the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I still think if the Reds want to take a chance on a power potential OF I think the best guy to try and bring in is Jose Guillen. He (when healthy) has produced the last few years. Plus you got to assume part of his struggles were attributed to that HR Killer park and the injury. Plus due to the injury and baggage will probably cost even less than Trot.

The last 4 years before the injury had been solid years and he excelled in his time in Cincinnati. Now he would have a chance to play everyday as our likely RF and could give the Reds some versatility with his athleticism and play CF or LF if dictated by game flow (IE Injury, double switch, trade, etc). He will also probably be under the radar as everyone concentrates on thet bigger names that are floating out there.

Two concerns with Guillen are his elbow and attitude. Will he be 100 percent come Opening Day? Usually your rightfielder has a cannon for an arm and coming off elbow surgery, you have to wonder if he will be 100 percent. Guillen's blow-ups with the Angels were well-documented, and even though he was tempered in Washington, you have to wonder if you want that type of personality in your clubhouse.

For some reason, Trot Nixon is an intriguing option to me.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I'd love to see those moves happen in the offseason but I think Suppan could be out of the price range for the Reds

I think you can say never say never with Castanelli running the show now.

If you're going to pay premium prices, though, you should make sure you're getting steak, not hamburger. The Reds might be able to afford a high-priced frontline pitcher, but, unlike the Yankees, they can't afford a middle-of-the-rotation pitcher at the same price.

Things are very quiet right now. I think Krivsky is waiting it out to see who actually files for Free Agency and gets to the GM meetings The Reds are in need of some big changes. It would not surprise me to hear about a big trade. Something is brewing. My feeling is a trade involving the Rangers. Maybe a three way with the Orioles or Red Sox. But if I'm in the Reds organization at any level I would not buy a house or renew my lease just yet.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

i would kinda like to see guillen in of, especially if reds dont sign aurelia....they will be losing some pop.
    i think a 3-6 of dunn griff EE guillen would generate some runs although my guess is either griff or dunn will be traded.

If you're going to pay premium prices, though, you should make sure you're getting steak, not hamburger. The Reds might be able to afford a high-priced frontline pitcher, but, unlike the Yankees, they can't afford a middle-of-the-rotation pitcher at the same price.
    It isn't about the amount of money you spend on free agents, but how you spend it. Put all your money in one free agent and you really don't improve the club. Signing several B type free agents has just as much impact on a team that has several holes to fill as that contender that needs that one player to get them over the top.

Turn Off Ads?